Thread: Most peculiar Docker bug on Tumbleweed: dockerized operating systems seem to think they're OT

Default Most peculiar Docker bug on Tumbleweed: dockerized operating systems seem to think they're OT

Hi,

I just ran:

Code:
    docker run -i -t ubuntu:14.04 /bin/bash
    to start a container for Ubuntu 14.04 and inside this container I ran:

Code:
    cat /etc/os-release
    and this returned:

Code:
    NAME="openSUSE Tumbleweed"
    # VERSION="20170206"
    ID=opensuse
    ID_LIKE="suse"
    VERSION_ID="20170206"
    PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE Tumbleweed"
    ANSI_COLOR="0;32"
    CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:opensuse:tumbleweed:20170206"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.opensuse.org"
    HOME_URL="https://www.opensuse.org/"
    likewise when I ran:

Code:
    apt-get install -y apt-file
    inside this container it returned the output:

Code:
    File 'repomd.xml' from repository 'docker-main' is signed with an unknown key 'F76221572C52609D'. Continue? [y
    es/no] (no): no
    Error building the cache:
    [docker-main|https://yum.dockerproject.org/repo/main/opensuse/13.2/] Valid metadata not found at specified URL
    Warning: Skipping repository 'docker-main' because of the above error.
    Retrieving repository 'Main Repository (NON-OSS)' metadata .............................................[done]
    Building repository 'Main Repository (NON-OSS)' cache ..................................................[done]
    Retrieving repository 'Main Repository (Sources)' metadata .............................................[done]
    Building repository 'Main Repository (Sources)' cache ..................................................[done]
    Retrieving repository 'Main Repository (OSS)' metadata .................................................[done]
    Building repository 'Main Repository (OSS)' cache ......................................................[done]
    Retrieving repository 'Main Update Repository' metadata ................................................[done]
    Building repository 'Main Update Repository' cache .....................................................[done]
    Building repository 'Brenton Horne's OBS repository (openSUSE_Tumbleweed)' cache .......................[done]
    Retrieving repository 'openSUSE-20170206-0' metadata ...................................................[done]
    Building repository 'openSUSE-20170206-0' cache ........................................................[done]
    Retrieving repository 'packman' metadata ...............................................................[done]
    Building repository 'packman' cache ....................................................................[done]
    Some of the repositories have not been refreshed because of an error.
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    'apt-file' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
    No provider of 'apt-file' found.

like as though it thought I ran this command
    Code:
    zypper install -y apt-file
    on my Tumbleweed installation, outside the Docker container... Any one know what is going on here?

Thanks for your time,
    Brenton
    Brenton Horne: Linux enthusiast and writer of ​The Hornery.
    Five favourite distros: Arch Linux, Fedora, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Sabayon Linux and Ubuntu.

Default Re: Most peculiar Docker bug on Tumbleweed: dockerized operating systems seem to think they're OT

When I get some time (maybe even late today) I'll take a look at what you seem to be trying to do,

But,
    In general, although you can do what you're describing from a console in the container,
    It's more appropriate to place these commands in a Docker file instead.

You can either go find the official tutorial on docker.com or follow that tutorial modified with openSUSE commands in my wiki.
    After you do those very basic things in my Wiki, you can search for Docker files others have posted that for the custom containers they create.

https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/do...ild-tutorial-1

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Default Re: Most peculiar Docker bug on Tumbleweed: dockerized operating systems seem to think they're OT

You always seem to assume I am completely new to Linux and Docker. I'm not! I've been using Linux for five years and Docker for at least 2 years! I wasn't running these commands in the container for the hell of it! As opposed to putting them in a Dockerfile. I was running them in this container to troubleshoot some other issues I was having with Docker. I noticed these other issues seemed to indicate that the containerized OS was acting like openSUSE Tumbleweed even though it shouldn't be, so I ran those tests to confirm this! Namely I found that running (which involves my own Dockerfile, so don't even suggest I should put it in a Dockerfile as I already have!):

Code:
    docker run -e DISPLAY=":0" -v /tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix fusion809/runescape-launcher /usr/bin/runescape-launcher
    returned:

Code:
    docker: Error response from daemon: linux spec user: unable to find user runescape: no matching entries in passwd file.
    ERRO[0004] error getting events from daemon: net/http: request canceled
    I'm sorry for getting angry at you, TSU, I'm sure you're well intentioned, but you're assumptions that I'm new/incompetent to Docker are getting irritating and I just had to set you straight! I think this is a bug.
    Brenton Horne: Linux enthusiast and writer of ​The Hornery.
    Five favourite distros: Arch Linux, Fedora, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Sabayon Linux and Ubuntu.