Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My computer locks up during long idles - continued

Angry My computer locks up during long idles - continued

Weeks ago I posted my problem here on this forum and was given much help, but no solution, so I tried my own experiment. First a little background. My computer would freeze every 3 days until I posted on here that it was every three days. As soon as I posted that, it changed to every day. I tried downgrading my video driver. That didn't work. I tried downloading MemTest (I think that's what it was called) from the OpenSuse repos, but it just locked up, so I downloaded the ISO and burned a DVD with the memtest direct from their website. That ran for a couple of days and after the third scan, I stopped it as it showed no errors, so my memory is fine. It was suggested that it might be BOINC or TeamViewer. So I disabled BOINC and uninstalled TeamViewer. That made no difference. Then it was suggested that I delete some KDE config files, but I didn't want to try that before I did an experiment.

Now for my experiment: I decided to disable my internet during the idle times. That worked for a couple of days, but I made the mistake of announcing my plan here, because against my own advice, I ran a system update from OpenSuse and a couple of hours later my computer froze, but not only did it freeze, it damaged my hardware. I got banned from this forum until today because I was so upset, but now I'm back and it's been weeks that I have run my experiment without running Opensuse updates and I have had no problems other than not being able to run my computer normally.

What I think is that someone has hacked into my computer causing these lockups and I will not accept any other explanation. What I ask is how do I catch/stop this hacker. Should I stop my experiment and run an Opensuse update? What should I do next? Thanks for listening!!!!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: My computer locks up during long idles - continued

Hi
    Since you believe it's the operating system, then as a test wipe openSUSE and install another OS, and move on with that, I doubt the hundreds of openSUSE installs on many different hardware systems and never seen anything like this means nothing....

Tested your power supply? Leaky electrolytic capacitors (bulging tops) on the motherboard?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

What I think is that someone has hacked into my computer causing these lockups and I will not accept any other explanation. What I ask is how do I catch/stop this hacker. Should I stop my experiment and run an Opensuse update? What should I do next? Thanks for listening!!!!!
    Maybe format the partitions, reinstall, and make the installation most secure.

Set the firewall to protect "external" and examine the Services that you are allowing (see firewall in Yast).
    Also, have a look at this from the wiki: https://tr.opensuse.org/SUSE_Securit...r_Linux_System
    And also there are significant tools in Yast to help you, go to Yast ==> Security & users ==> Security center and hardening.
    Examine your logs frequently, it beats surmising.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Question Re: My computer locks up during long idles - continued

I think a tool like wireshark would help me identify the software installed on my computer, but I am not good at sifting through the hours of data that will be collected before the computer locks up, but I guess I have no choice. What network scanning program do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post

Set the firewall to protect "external" and examine the Services that you are allowing (see firewall in Yast).
    Also, have a look at this from the wiki: https://tr.opensuse.org/SUSE_Securit...r_Linux_System
    And also there are significant tools in Yast to help you, go to Yast ==> Security & users ==> Security center and hardening.

Thumbs up Re: My computer locks up during long idles - continued

It's been a few days since I implemented wireshark and no lockups. I wonder if the hacker is reading my posts and I must have hit on the correct tool to fight him/her. Internet has been up for days. I still wonder if wireshark is the best tool. Why hasn't anyone suggested anything? Please help...
    Last edited by trekjunky; 10-Feb-2017 at 23:52. Reason: Forgot to mention my need for more help

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trekjunky View Post
    It's been a few days since I implemented wireshark and no lockups. I wonder if the hacker is reading my posts and I must have hit on the correct tool to fight him/her. Internet has been up for days. I still wonder if wireshark is the best tool. Why hasn't anyone suggested anything? Please help...
    They're probably a little bit wary of the earlier altercations. Most folk just dodge that sort of interaction.

Now: did you try out any of the suggestions I made in post #3? You didn't respond to that?
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

If I do any of your advice, I will run updates on OpenSUSE and it will install the hacker's software and I will be right back to where I was. I neglected to say in this thread that I recently switched back to OpenSUSE from a previous OS, so you might say I did that already. Since I have to supply my root password it installs the hacker's software during an update.

Since my last post, The hacker froze my computer again. So, I am searching the Wireshark log for clues. Still haven't found the culprit's IP or Port. I will work on it for a week or two before I give up. Is there anyone who can give me hints on how to search for the culprit's IP or Port? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

No, not even close. If any of it were true we would all see this. I think you have a problem but I doubt it is a hacker. Most common is the video system. To be a hacker he would need to act as a man in the middle to effect uploads and they all are signed and thus a flag would be raised if changed en-route . Also unless you have the fire wall down nothing can really get through unless you run a Internet facing system that has a bug. Could be hardware thermal problems I guess but without more info we can't really know. You would be better off looking at logs rather then searching through packets.

Default AW: Re: My computer locks up during long idles - continued

Quote Originally Posted by trekjunky View Post
    I wonder if the hacker is reading my posts and I must have hit on the correct tool to fight him/her.
    Not quite, but close.

I confiscated his laptop and now the little rascal is on house arrest for the next few days without dessert after dinner. Maybe we should not have named him "little bobby tables" for a start.

(SCNR)

AK

Question Re: My computer locks up during long idles - continued

I did these suggestions: "Set the firewall to protect "external" and examine the Services that you are allowing (see firewall in Yast)."

I'm not allowing any service...

We'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast