PS/2 Mouse Scroll Wheel not working

Hello all,
I’m wrapping up a fresh install of Leap 42.2 on my PC and am getting most things setup according to my preferences, but I’ve got a mouse issue - the scroll wheel doesn’t function. The mouse/keyboard is an older Logitech combo that still uses a wireless transmitter which utilizes the PS/2 connectors., and worked fine on the previously installed Suse 12.3, and still functions properly when I boot to the XP installation.

Here’s the response to hwinfo --mouse

43: PS/2 00.0: 10500 PS/2 Mouse                                 
  [Created at input.249]
  Unique ID: AH6Q.U5GX9Ignjc0
  Hardware Class: mouse
  Model: "PS/2 Generic Mouse"
  Vendor: 0x0002 
  Device: 0x0001 "PS/2 Generic Mouse"
  Compatible to: int 0x0210 0x0003
  Device File: /dev/input/mice (/dev/input/mouse0)
  Device Files: /dev/input/mice, /dev/input/mouse0, /dev/input/event1, /dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-1-event-mouse, /dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-1-mouse
  Device Number: char 13:63 (char 13:32)
  Driver Info #0:
    Buttons: 3
    Wheels: 0
    XFree86 Protocol: explorerps/2
    GPM Protocol: exps2
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

This leads me to believe that the mouse is configured wrong, but I’m not sure how to manually change that to a generic wheel mouse setting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Nick

1. Which desktop environment are you using? Have you tried configuring via the appropriate desktop config utility yet?

2. Let’s check which xorg input driver is in use (I would expect libinput)

grep "Using input driver" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I’m using KDE. I have checked the configuration in the input devices portion of the system settings, the advanced tab show mouse wheel option as set to scroll by 3 lines.

Your input driver expectation is correct, grep returns: Using input driver "libinput’ for ‘PS/2 Generic Mouse’

Hmmm…this might require a bug report. What input device properties are available?

xinput list-props "PS/2 Generic Mouse"

If this a regression is related to using libinput, perhaps you could try using the evdev driver as a workaround (no promises though).

Install it with

zypper in xf86-input-evdev

You’d need to create a custom config file eg /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/95-mouse.conf

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "Logitech Wireless Mouse"
    MatchProduct "PS/2 Generic Mouse"
    MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    Driver "evdev"
EndSection

The restart the X-server when done. Confirm that mouse is now being handled by the evdev input driver

grep "Using input driver" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

and check mouse behaviour again.

Another thought I had…you could check if the scroll wheel is generating events as expected with the xev utility. If necessary, install first with

zypper in xev

then run it from a terminal with

xev

Move the cursor to the X-window it creates and check scroll wheel events generated. This information might be useful for diagnostic/bug report purposes.

Here’s the result:

Device 'PS/2 Generic Mouse':
        Device Enabled (152):   1
        Coordinate Transformation Matrix (154): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
        libinput Accel Speed (285):     0.000000
        libinput Accel Speed Default (286):     0.000000
        libinput Accel Profiles Available (287):        1, 1
        libinput Accel Profile Enabled (288):   1, 0
        libinput Accel Profile Enabled Default (289):   1, 0
        libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled (290):       0
        libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled Default (291):       0                                                                 
        libinput Send Events Modes Available (269):     1, 0                                                                      
        libinput Send Events Mode Enabled (270):        0, 0                                                                      
        libinput Send Events Mode Enabled Default (271):        0, 0                                                              
        libinput Left Handed Enabled (292):     0                                                                                 
        libinput Left Handed Enabled Default (293):     0                                                                         
        libinput Scroll Methods Available (294):        0, 0, 1
        libinput Scroll Method Enabled (295):   0, 0, 1
        libinput Scroll Method Enabled Default (296):   0, 0, 1
        libinput Button Scrolling Button (297): 2
        libinput Button Scrolling Button Default (298): 274
        libinput Middle Emulation Enabled (299):        0
        libinput Middle Emulation Enabled Default (300):        0
        Device Node (272):      "/dev/input/event1"
        Device Product ID (273):        2, 1
        libinput Drag Lock Buttons (301):       <no items>
        libinput Horizontal Scroll Enabled (274):       1

Scroll wheel movement using xev did not register any events, only mouse movements and left/right clicks registered events.

I’ll try the evdev driver tomorrow and report back if that offers any improvement.

Thanks,
Nick

I just noticed something from your hwinfo output - no wheel(s) detected

Driver Info #0:
   Buttons: 3
   Wheels: 0
   XFree86 Protocol: explorerps/2
   GPM Protocol: exps2

So, that is at a likely kernel driver level issue.

Just a thought (based on this old blog) - Does unplugging/replugging of the PS/2 device help at all?

Diconnecting/reconnecting the mouse creates no improvement at all. I did this with both the mouse and kepyboard (since they share the wireless receiver) thinking that may be required, but this also offered no improvement.

I was able to successfully change to the evdev driver, but this also has no impact to the hardware configuration - the wheel still is notl detected, and no luck in scrolling events being captured.

Okay.

I was able to successfully change to the evdev driver, but this also has no impact to the hardware configuration - the wheel still is notl detected, and no luck in scrolling events being captured.

No, I didn’t expect that to help since the no wheels are enumerated by the kernel driver. That’s where the issue needs to be fixed IMO. A bug report will be required as mentioned previously.