Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your opinion on Canonical?

Default Re: What is your opinion on Canonical?

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Yes, agree, but, IMHO the KDE folks seem to be getting their act together and KDE Plasma 5 currently has, IMHO, a useable product which is being continually maintained.
    Is Canonical better than others at getting the maintenance done into their current distribution? To be perfectly honest, I do not know.
    They surely don't maintain Unity better since it was dropped completely
    Best regards,
    Greg

On 02/06/2018 05:36 AM, glistwan wrote:
    >
    > dcurtisfra;2854011 Wrote:
    >> Yes, agree, but, IMHO the KDE folks seem to be getting their act
    >> together and KDE Plasma 5 currently has, IMHO, a useable product which
    >> is being continually maintained.

> For example:
    >> <http://tinyurl.com/y98r6wu7>.
    >>
    >>
    >> Is Canonical better than others at getting the maintenance done into
    >> their current distribution? To be perfectly honest, I do not know.

> They surely don't maintain Unity better since it was dropped completely
    >
    >
    >

Touché. But you know, that's just the ways of FOSS. It's an ok thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cjcox View Post
    Touché. But you know, that's just the ways of FOSS. It's an ok thing.
    I know. Now they will be able to actually concentrate on the stuff that allows them to make money which will ultimately push opensource forward
    I'm all for Canonical becoming the 2nd RedHat so they actually have some real competition.
    Best regards,
    Greg

Cool Re: What is your opinion on Canonical?

Quote Originally Posted by glistwan View Post
    I'm all for Canonical becoming the 2nd RedHat so they actually have some real competition.
    (Old) Rule number one of the market place: "If you can achieve at least one third of the market share then, you begin to control the market."
    Rule number one of democracy: "Do not tolerate market place (business) monopolies."

xen82a NNTP User

Canonical (Ubuntu) doesn't really have a community,

the community is with Debian.

If you look at Ubuntu's wiki, there haven't been any real edits since the time of Ubuntu 10.04 or 12.04, and so what community there was, seems to have died.

Also I think their moderators (for IRC) are harsh and treat their users like scum, because real (paying) clients obviously do not use IRC; if someone emails an Ubuntu list while mentioning their employer, Canonical employees are polite and helpful, if someone does not mention "work", Canonical employees are impatient and hostile,

Maybe all of that is pretty common,

and just a fact of life.

With respect to product quality, I do not want to make any comparisons with OpenSUSE, but Debian is fresh and young in a sense, it is lean and usually sensible, but doesn't come with a lot of configuration or extended settings, although the debconf ncurses configuration system is helpful and sufficient to do most common initial configuration of any package you might install and a very pleasant system in my view.

Ubuntu is for the most part to most people the graphical part, even though recently their container business I guess means they have been specializing... let's say AppArmor.... Debian didn't come with an AppArmor enabled kernel.....

I think Snappy is a huge failure to be honest, yes they are pulling that bandwagon but in the end it's just.......

at least I think it's a failure from a design and concept perspective.....

I believe Canonical is a force behind LXD (as opposed to LXC) and I don't like LXD so much....

So between LXD, Snappy and AppArmor, indeed Ubuntu is focusing on containers and deployment,

But the downside is that I think ordinary users are now so unimportant to Canonical (they've smelled the cash)

and if I combine that with an I think very detrimental "snappy" development, then I think Canonical is no longer a force for the good,

even though they were 2 years ago.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123