42.2 and VMWare Issues

Greetings All,

Since it would appear that 13.2 is going out of support, I figured it was time to give LEAP another try.

Although the v42.2 installation went pretty well, there are still a number of problems that make this version less usable/stable than 13.2.
Most of these I have managed to find work arounds for.

However, I have run into a strange issue that I cannot solve:

I am currently running on a Lenovo W530 Thinkpad. The unit has both a Wireless and an Ethernet connection.
Whenever possible, I prefer to use the Ethernet.
However, not all locations that I use this unit on have the hard-wired plug, so I wind up switching network connections ‘on-the-fly’.

In 13.2, the NetworkManger had no problem switching between a wired and wireless connection.
However, 42.2 does something strange: If the connection that the system was booted with is changed,
NONE of the icons on the desktop or panels are functional.
If I start journalctl before this change, I see messages like:

‘process 12263 (dolphin) of user 1000 dumped core’

The problem fixes itself IF the original connection is restored, or the system is rebooted with the new connection.

After a lot of experimentation, I discovered that this behavior seems to be caused by the installation of VMWARE (version 12).
If VMWARE is uninstalled, the problem is no longer present.
The same level of VMWARE was installed on Suse 13.2 without any issues.

Although VirtualBox can be used as a substitution, I prefer VMWARE, as it has better support for USB devices and graphics.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing this and how to solve it?

Thanx in advance

Richard Rosa

I don’t know what may be causing this, if you say this does not occur when installing the exact same VMware in 13.2, then you can submit a bug report to

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org

In the meantime, I would guess that a workaround so that you don’t have to reboot your machine or make an 802.3 (wired) connection would be to simply restart your network service by running the following in an elevated console

systemctl restart network.service

TSU

Thanx for the workaround. Unfortunately, restarting the network does not seem to change anything. The only things that work are

1. reconnection of the original booted network (Ethernet or Wireless)
  2. reboot
  3. Complete removal of VMWARE (and a reboot as well).

I seem to get all the weird bugs :slight_smile:

Rich