Thread: Upgrade from 42.1 to 42.2 leads to black desktop in Plasma

Default Upgrade from 42.1 to 42.2 leads to black desktop in Plasma

Hello,

I have upgraded by following the instructions provided (https://en.opensuse.org/Upgrade) and it went fine except for my Plasma 5 desktop: When I now login into my user account, I get a black desktop:

Some observations:
    • I can right-click into it and the menu appears. I might accidently click on a hidden icon and get the respective context menu
    • Changing/re-applying desktop configuration does not change anything
    • Using a newly created user, Plasma 5 loads just fine. Hence, there must be some previous setting that prevent Plasma from loading correctly.

What can I do to fix this?

Cheers,
    Quentin

Default Re: Upgrade from 42.1 to 42.2 leads to black desktop in Plasma

If it works fine for a new user, try to delete or rename ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc to start with a fresh Plasma configuration.
    This will of course remove all desktop customizations (e.g. wallpaper, plasmoids and their settings), but will not affect other applications.

Default Re: Upgrade from 42.1 to 42.2 leads to black desktop in Plasma

Thanks for the hint. I have figured out that the issue was with the composite settings. I had opengl 3.0 before and switching back to 2.0 solved the problem. It's not the first time that I see Leap 42.2 upgrade problems being related to graphics...