how to have bigger icon in the system tray

using opensuse leap 42.2, plasma 5.9.90, KDE frameworks 5.30.0, KDE applications 16.12.1
the icons in system tray have always the same dimension also if I increase the height of the panel, for my son they are too small, how can I increase theyr dimension??

Hi,

Have you tried to change the icon size from System Settings > Icons > Icon Theme > Advanced for Panel to a larger one?

P.S. The icon size in Panel automatically increases with the increase of height of the Panel in my case.

Regards,
CnZhx

tried, it doesn’t works, if it helps I’m using air theme

in my not…

It seems icon theme is independent on desktop theme. Could you check which icon theme are in use? It is located in System Settings > Icons > Icon Theme. Maybe it’s also worth to switch another theme, e.g. breeze, and default icon theme (breeze) to see whether this is theme related or not. (Just be sure to log out and log in again to make new themes take effect for assurance.)

If you have tried to increase the height of the panel gradually to a very large value and the icon size keep the same, then I am out of ideas. I’ll left it to other users.

Good luck :slight_smile:
CnZhx

Hi pier_andreit,

Sorry for the trouble I caused but it seems I misunderstood your words. You are talking about the icons in system tray but I have thought it’s about the icons in Task Manager. So I was talking about the icons in Task Manager all the time. I am embarrassed.

You are right. It seems no ordinary way to change the icon size in system tray for now.

I am really sorry for wasting your time :frowning:

Regards,
CnZhx

Hi pier_andreit,

I think this from a post in KDE Forum is what you are looking for: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=131736#p359693

But I have not tried that. Hopefully it helps :slight_smile:

Regards,
CnZhx

:)manythanks cnzhx!! it helped!!
it seems that instructions was old, but, making some try on theyr shoulders and crossing the fingers and hoping in the lucky side of the force:) it seems it is solved :
first I backupped the /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/main.qml
then I modified in /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/main.qml the line:

property int itemSize: units.roundToIconSize(Math.min(Math.min(width, height), units.iconSizes[iconSizes[plasmoid.configuration.iconSize]]))

in

property int itemSize: units.roundToIconSize(Math.min(Math.min(width, height), units.iconSizes.huge))

and now if I modify the height of system tray the icons changes theyr dimensions lol!

Actually that change is not necessary any more.
As you can see in the line you modified, the maximum size is not hardcoded any more, but taken from the configuration:

property int itemSize: units.roundToIconSize(Math.min(Math.min(width, height), units.iconSizes[iconSizes[plasmoid.configuration.iconSize]]))

So better revert your modification and change the config instead, your current change will be overwritten by updates anyway.

You need to modify ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc directly though, the intention was/is that this can be set by the theme/look&feel package.
Open the file in a text editor (while Plasma is not running), and search for this part:

[Containments][87]
activityId=
formfactor=3
immutability=1
lastScreen=-1
location=5
plugin=org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray

After that should follow something like this (with the same containment number):

[Containments][87][General]
extraItems=org.kde.plasma.networkmanagement,org.kde.plasma.notifications,org.kde.plasma.devicenotifier,org.kde.plasma.battery,org.kde.plasma.printmanager,org.kde.plasma.clipboard,org.kde.plasma.bluetooth,org.kde.plasma.mediacontroller,org.kde.plasma.pkupdates
iconSize=1
knownItems=org.kde.plasma.networkmanagement,org.kde.plasma.notifications,org.kde.plasma.devicenotifier,org.kde.plasma.battery,org.kde.plasma.printmanager,org.kde.plasma.clipboard,org.kde.plasma.bluetooth,org.kde.plasma.mediacontroller,org.kde.plasma.pkupdates

(actually it should be enough to just search for “iconSize” in the file… :wink: )

Change the iconSize value to your likings, huge would be 4 I think.

This is mentioned in that KDE forum thread btw, near the end, in the second last post.

It’s a relieve to me after causing too much chaos for you :slight_smile:

And also thank you wolfi for clarifying this issue.

I suspected it…

manythanks it works!! lol!