Thread: Plasma Panel and Taskbar: look/appearence and behaviour questions

Default Plasma Panel and Taskbar: look/appearence and behaviour questions

I use "superuser mode" Dolphin quite a bit. To visually distinguish it in the menu from (regular) "user mode" Dolphin, I edited/selected another icon for it ... (the red folder, as shown in the picture below, that illustrates how to do this with the menu editor).

Because I use the su mode Dolphin a fair bit, instead of wasting time going through the menu, I placed a launcher for it on the panel. Evidently (as can be seen), when you select an icon that shows a solid red folder, what it actually means is you're selecting a white folder with red outline. Whatever ... the white with red outline folder icon (now both in the menu and on the panel as the launcher) works for me too.

Now first an observation: normally when you click a launcher icon, it will disappear from the panel and the app icon will appear on the taskbar. The same is true for my this su mode dolphin launcher icon, initially at least -- as maybe half a second after the run as root authentication box appears, the su mode dolphin launcher icon reappears on the panel. I understand the underlining logic of what is going on, but this is a slight inconsistency with "normal" launcher behaviour. Anyway, minor quibble. Now here are the questions:

1) In the large first image:

You can see on the taskbar: regular user Dolphin, "su mode" Dolphin, Firefox, and the KDE menu editor.
    Note that su mode Dolphin icon in the taskbar is not the red folder ... So, the question becomes: how do you get changes to the icon you used in the menu (and, by extension, to the launcher) to also be utilised as the icon used on the taskbar for the app?

2) In this second image focusing in on the taskbar:

You can observe the following ordering: "su mode" Dolphin, regular user Dolphin, Firefox, and the KDE menu editor.
    Point -- the taskbar is ordering the applications alphabetically; in this case: Dolphin, Firefox, KDE menu editor. A second level of ordering is occurring at the application level. In the large first image, for example, you will note that the active tab in the regular mode Dolphin session is "Documents", whereas the super user mode Dolphin is simply entitled the default value when you first open it up. So, "Documents" title is > "File Manager... " and the taskbar icons are arranged accordingly: "user mode Dolphin, "su mode" Dolphin, Firefox and KDE Menu editor
    Turning back to the smaller second image, you will observe that, because I purposely choose (for the active tab in the user mode Dolphin session) an alphabetically lesser tab (i.e. "trash" ), the application level ordering on the taskbar is impacted. Bottom line, in this case, the new taskbar ordering is "su mode" Dolphin, "user mode Dolphin, Firefox and KDE...

So the question here is: how do you prevent the taskbar from doing this second level of ordering? Its annoying that, when you switch active tabs in the file manager, it can cause an associated change of the relative position of the app on the taskbar.

Default Re: Plasma Panel and Taskbar: look/appearence and behaviour questions

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_K View Post
    So the question here is: how do you prevent the taskbar from doing this second level of ordering? Its annoying that, when you switch active tabs in the file manager, it can cause an associated change of the relative position of the app on the taskbar.
    Hi Tyler_K,

I might understand you correctly with the 2nd question because I was confused by this before. Maybe you could try the settings I used.

1. Right click any application placeholder in the taskbar and choose "Task Manager Settings".
    2. There is an option title with "Grouping and Sorting" in the pop-up window.
    3. Play with options in it and make yourself feel good.

P.S. I choose "Manually" for "sorting", and enable "Keep launchers separate". They suit me.

Regards,
    CnZhx
    openSUSE Tumbleweed (usually the latest snapshot) w/ KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by cnzhx View Post
    I might understand you correctly with the 2nd question because I was confused by this before. Maybe you could try the settings I used.

1. Right click any application placeholder in the taskbar and choose "Task Manager Settings".
    2. There is an option title with "Grouping and Sorting" in the pop-up window.
    3. Play with options in it and make yourself feel good.

P.S. I choose "Manually" for "sorting", and enable "Keep launchers separate". They suit me.
    Thank you, that does indeed address this. I will play with the settings. Seeing them again, I remember having played with these settings a while back. Had forgot about where it was located. The sorting options look more detailed then last time I looked at it.

User settings for root are of course set in /root ie the root user home. You can change color and other visual clues by becoming fully root in a konsole (su -) and run desktopsetting5

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    User settings for root are of course set in /root ie the root user home. You can change color and other visual clues by becoming fully root in a konsole (su -) and run desktopsetting5
    Good point. I tried a couple attempts at icon colourizing (systemsettings > Appearance > Icons > Advanced) with the panel, all icons, ... but was unable to get the icon in the app placeholder on the taskbar to change.

shrugs...don't want to turn it into a project.

Not advisable as a mode to stay in but what I did was to login to root.
    Then got the Plasma desktop got the Configure desktop and did my settings there just as I done in user.
    In my case I used different colors under Configure desktop>Colors then icons and so on.
    Then logged out & went back to user.
    We are what we think.
    All that we are arises with our thoughts.
    With our thoughts we make the world.

My 64 bit: Gateway 5670 UPDATED | RADEON RX 570 |CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

Yes actually also but you must be very careful when logged in as root in a GUI stay away from any user homes since a root logged GUI tend to want to grab owner ship of some files and break the user's login