Thread: XFCE asks for root password to shutdown (after upgrade from 13.2)

heyjoe NNTP User

Question XFCE asks for root password to shutdown (after upgrade from 13.2)

A few days ago I upgraded my old 32 bit Acer TravelMate 2410 from 13.2 to Tumbleweed. I am asked for root password in order to shutdown when I choose Logout > Shutdown. And if I don't enter one and simply wait - I am taken to the login screen.

In /etc/polkit-default-privs.local (last modified on 22.Dec.2016, i.e. untouched) I have:

Code:
    org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate auth_admin:auth_admin:yes
    org.freedesktop.login1.reboot auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes
    org.freedesktop.login1.reboot-multiple-sessions auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes

org.freedesktop.login1.suspend auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes
    org.freedesktop.login1.suspend-multiple-sessions auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes
    org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes
    org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate-multiple-sessions auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes

org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.network-control auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes
    org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes
    What is the problem/solution? I want to be able to shutdown without root password like I always did before upgrading.

Blog Entries

Default Re: XFCE asks for root password to shutdown (after upgrade from 13.2)

Since you can get to a login screen, you should be able to shutdown from there.

I'm not having problems with shutdown. But then I have not recently tried XFCE.

Have you rebooted since the upgrade? The upgrade replaces/updates some of the software used in shutdown, and until you have rebooted they might not be interacting the way that they should.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

heyjoe NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Since you can get to a login screen, you should be able to shutdown from there.
    No. At the login screen the Shutdown menu in the dropdown is gray (disabled).

I'm not having problems with shutdown. But then I have not recently tried XFCE.

Have you rebooted since the upgrade? The upgrade replaces/updates some of the software used in shutdown, and until you have rebooted they might not be interacting the way that they should.
    Yes, I have rebooted many times.

Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    What is the problem/solution? I want to be able to shutdown without root password like I always did before upgrading.
    Is your system security set to secure or paranoid?
    Then you need to supply the root password for things like reboot and shutdown.

Your custom polkit rules only allow reboot and suspend/hibernate.
    Try to add similar rules for power-off too:
    Code:
    org.freedesktop.login1.power-off auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes
    org.freedesktop.login1.power-off-multiple-sessions auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes
    (and run "sudo set_polkit_default_privs" to apply the change)

heyjoe NNTP User

Thumbs up Thank you!

Thanks wolfi! Helpful as always!