XFCE asks for root password to shutdown (after upgrade from 13.2)

A few days ago I upgraded my old 32 bit Acer TravelMate 2410 from 13.2 to Tumbleweed. I am asked for root password in order to shutdown when I choose Logout > Shutdown. And if I don’t enter one and simply wait - I am taken to the login screen.

In /etc/polkit-default-privs.local (last modified on 22.Dec.2016, i.e. untouched) I have:

org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate auth_admin:auth_admin:yes
org.freedesktop.login1.reboot auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes
org.freedesktop.login1.reboot-multiple-sessions auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes

org.freedesktop.login1.suspend auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes
org.freedesktop.login1.suspend-multiple-sessions auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes
org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes
org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate-multiple-sessions auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes

org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.network-control auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes

What is the problem/solution? I want to be able to shutdown without root password like I always did before upgrading.

Since you can get to a login screen, you should be able to shutdown from there.

I’m not having problems with shutdown. But then I have not recently tried XFCE.

Have you rebooted since the upgrade? The upgrade replaces/updates some of the software used in shutdown, and until you have rebooted they might not be interacting the way that they should.

No. At the login screen the Shutdown menu in the dropdown is gray (disabled).

I’m not having problems with shutdown. But then I have not recently tried XFCE.

Have you rebooted since the upgrade? The upgrade replaces/updates some of the software used in shutdown, and until you have rebooted they might not be interacting the way that they should.

Yes, I have rebooted many times.

Is your system security set to secure or paranoid?
Then you need to supply the root password for things like reboot and shutdown.

Your custom polkit rules only allow reboot and suspend/hibernate.
Try to add similar rules for power-off too:

org.freedesktop.login1.power-off auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes
org.freedesktop.login1.power-off-multiple-sessions auth_admin_keep:auth_admin_keep:yes

(and run “sudo set_polkit_default_privs” to apply the change)

Thanks wolfi! Helpful as always!