Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Forum - cannot change password

  1. #1

    Default Forum - cannot change password

    Hi,

    I couldn't see where to post this, so mods...please move if necessary. I'm trying to change my login password but when I try to do so I get a message saying

    "The password you have entered does not match your current one. Please press the back button, enter the correct details and try again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Click here!"

    Yet I have entered the exact same password I used to log in now (to enable me to post this!)....any thoughts? I have tried resetting it, then going to change it again, but still get the same error. Do the forums have password rules (eg maximum number of characters, certain symbols not being allowed)? Having said that, I've also tried changing it to a simple password to check and still no such luck.

    Many thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,729

    Default Re: Forum - cannot change password

    Go to https://forums.opensuse.org/faq.php?...#faq_novellgen and scroll down to:

    How do I change my password?
    To change your forum password, go to the openSUSE Wiki page while not logged in: https://en.opensuse.org/Main_Page
    * Click on the SIGN UP link (not Login) in the upper right corner
    * On the resultant page, left menu, click EDIT ACCOUNT
    * On that page click CAN'T ACCESS YOUR ACCOUNT?
    * That should be the Forgot Password process. If not, there on the left menu, click FORGOT and select PASSWORD.
    BTW, we have a sub-forum Forums Feedback > How to use the Forums.

    As this thread has nothing to do with an openSUSE technical question, it w ill be moved there and is CLOSED for the moment.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,729

    Default Re: Forum - cannot change password

    Quote Originally Posted by thestig View Post
    Hi,

    I couldn't see where to post this, so mods...please move if necessary. I'm trying to change my login password but when I try to do so I get a message saying

    "The password you have entered does not match your current one. Please press the back button, enter the correct details and try again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Click here!"

    Yet I have entered the exact same password I used to log in now (to enable me to post this!)....any thoughts? I have tried resetting it, then going to change it again, but still get the same error. Do the forums have password rules (eg maximum number of characters, certain symbols not being allowed)? Having said that, I've also tried changing it to a simple password to check and still no such luck.

    Many thanks
    Moved from Install/Boot/Login and open again.
    Henk van Velden

  4. #4

    Default Re: Forum - cannot change password

    That appears to have done the trick....thank you very much!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,729

    Default Re: Forum - cannot change password

    Quote Originally Posted by thestig View Post
    That appears to have done the trick....thank you very much!!
    You are welcome.
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6

    Default Re: Forum - cannot change password

    Happened to me as well, when I wanted to change my email.
    This is unacceptable - having to click "forgot password" while we do know the password.

    Please report it so that it's fixed and users can actually change their passwords and emails in their profile settings.
    I know it might be tricky to implement since I guess the accounts might be stored in SUSE database but that's not an answer. If storing the accounts in another database prevents from properly implementing authentication then it's only fair to store them in separate database.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,037

    Default Re: Forum - cannot change password

    On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 23:16:01 +0000, kokosek wrote:

    > Happened to me as well, when I wanted to change my email.
    > This is unacceptable - having to click "forgot password" while we do
    > know the password.
    >
    > Please report it so that it's fixed and users can actually change their
    > passwords and emails in their profile settings.
    > I know it might be tricky to implement since I guess the accounts might
    > be stored in SUSE database but that's not an answer. If storing the
    > accounts in another database prevents from properly implementing
    > authentication then it's only fair to store them in separate database.


    It's an SSO solution that requires that you change that info in the
    upstream system - nothing we can do about it.

    That said, if you know your password, you shouldn't need to do "forgot
    password" - just log in with the credentials you know are correct when
    you get to the login page, and then you can edit your account and reset
    your password.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  8. #8

    Default Re: Forum - cannot change password

    But that's the problem, Jim. I can't reset my password in Settings -> Edit email & password.
    As I try to change it I get this message:
    Code:
    The password you have entered does not match your current one. Please press the back button, enter the correct details and try again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Click here!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,037

    Default Re: Forum - cannot change password

    On Tue, 06 Jun 2017 20:06:02 +0000, kokosek wrote:

    > But that's the problem, Jim. I can't reset my password in Settings ->
    > Edit email & password.
    > As I try to change it I get this message:
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > The password you have entered does not match your current one.
    > Please press the back button, enter the correct details and try
    > again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten
    > your password? Click here!
    > --------------------


    Apologies, I thought you were referring to the instructions provided in
    the FAQ - it seems that you are trying to do it through the forum control
    panel, which won't work because that's not part of the SSO configuration.

    Follow the instructions in the FAQ, and that will get you to the proper
    place. They're outlined at https://forums.opensuse.org/faq.php?
    faq=novfor#faq_changepass

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,729

    Default Re: Forum - cannot change password

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post

    Follow the instructions in the FAQ, and that will get you to the proper
    place. They're outlined at https://forums.opensuse.org/faq.php?
    faq=novfor#faq_changepass

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C
    @kokosek
    And that is what is in post #2 above of this very thread where the OP (thestig) states that it worked for him.
    Henk van Velden

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •