Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing devel:/tools: Repository

Default Missing devel:/tools: Repository

Since yesterday when i try to search for a package i get the following Error:
    Datei '/repodata/repomd.xml' nicht auf dem Medium 'http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/tools:/building/openSUSE_13.2/' gefunden.
    (File not found)

This is because the openSUSE_13.2/ directory doesn't exist anymore. comparable repositories like http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.2/ exist however.

Does anybody know about that? How do i fix it? (I assume that devel tools is important and may not be removed?)

I think this is a new bug and i should report it in the bucktracking system. Is this right?

Default AW: Missing devel:/tools: Repository

Maybe that is because openSUSE 13.2 is out of support.

And I think, many Repositories will be deleted in some times because of that.

Default Re: Missing devel:/tools: Repository

Since when? It is listed under "maintained previous releases":
    https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed

I would really like to update my system, but the tumbleweed upgrade page says:
    "Install the current online updates of the old distribution, if any."

How can i do this, if the repos are offline?

BTW: I am a little afraid to upgrade. Is it safe to make a snapshot with snapper and then execute all updates?
    Can it be considered shure that i can go back if the update crashey my system?

Quote Originally Posted by angu View Post
    Since when?
    Since last week, see https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime#Dis..._distributions .
    You should have even got an update telling you.

It is listed under "maintained previous releases":
    https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed
    This page hasn't been updated in this regard yet apparently.

I would really like to update my system, but the tumbleweed upgrade page says:
    "Install the current online updates of the old distribution, if any."
    Note that Tumbleweed is the *rolling* distribution.
    So maybe not exactly what you may want to upgrade to.

Currently maintained *stable* releases are Leap 42.1 (will be EOL in a few months too though) and 42.2.
    See https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime as well.

How can i do this, if the repos are offline?
    The update repo is still online (and will stay online), there just won't be any more updates.

But 3rd party repos have been/will be removed at the maintainers' discretion.

BTW: I am a little afraid to upgrade. Is it safe to make a snapshot with snapper and then execute all updates?
    Can it be considered shure that i can go back if the update crashey my system?
    I upgraded a 13.2 system to 42.2 two weeks ago using the NETinstall CD, and I was able boot the previous 13.2 system without problems by choosing to boot an earlier snapshot in the boot menu.

And that even though I actually disabled snapshots...
    The installer created one none-the-less.
    If you use "zypper dup" you probably should do it manually though to be sure.

(btw, the upgrade went fine, no problems whatsoever)
    Last edited by wolfi323; 25-Jan-2017 at 06:20.

Thank you. I just realized that snapper automatically made a snapshot after i startet yast to install patches.
    Interestingly the software update applet says "your system is up to date" while yast2 shows a lot of required patches - maybe it's because my network connection is a http proxy.

I hope this is not getting too off-topic, but yast tells me that there are packages that require to restart yast which i should update first - before updating the other packages.
    Unfortunately - when i consequently cancel the update - it doesn't tell me which packages require the yast restart :-/

Any ideas how to find them?

I hope this is not getting too off-topic, but yast tells me that there are packages that require to restart yast which i should update first - before updating the other packages.
    Unfortunately - when i consequently cancel the update - it doesn't tell me which packages require the yast restart :-/

Any ideas how to find them?
    The only updates that would require to restart yast would be updates to the package management itself.

But why do you want to "find them"?

The message means that you should restart yast *after* you installed the updates.
    There may be more updates then, as pending updates to the package management hide all other updates.

OTOH, you should not do the *upgrade* to a different distribution with YaST, use zypper (dup), and preferably do it in text mode or at least via "screen". If the whole system gets changed underneath your desktop, strange things may happen, and even the desktop session may crash (which would also abort the upgrade, leaving you with a likely broken system).
    That said, I often upgraded with "zypper dup" in the past (not this time though) in a running KDE session and never had it crash. GNOME seems to be more sensible in this regard...
    But better be safe than sorry.

An offline upgrade (booting from the install DVD or netinstall CD and choosing "Upgrade") would be a safer way in any case.

See also: https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade and https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed_upgrade

To see what needs restart run zypper ps

In most cases logging out then back in will restart processes unless it is a kernel update which requires a reboot

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    To see what needs restart run zypper ps

In most cases logging out then back in will restart processes unless it is a kernel update which requires a reboot
    True, but rather irrelevant here.

Updates to the software management stack are marked as "requires restart of the package management", if you try to install such an update with YaST->Online Update, YaST will tell you to restart it *before* any updates are actually installed (regardless whether any running process would need to be restarted).
    The reason is, as I said, that software management updates hide other updates and only the software management updates will get installed, so you need to run the updater again to even see any other pending updates.

And running "zypper ps" only makes sense *after* installing updates. Only then can there be running processes that still use files that got updated...

Ok - since the System *is* somehow important to me :-) i will upgrade offline and in text mode.

But regarding the updates i have to do before i must admit that i have doubts regarding this:

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Updates to the software management stack are marked as "requires restart of the package management", if you try to install such an update with YaST->Online Update, YaST will tell you to restart it *before* any updates are actually installed (regardless whether any running process would need to be restarted).
    Because the yast message is pretty clear in warning me about exactly that, saying that *i* must ensure it. I try to state it here but unfortunately it's in german and i have to translate it:
    "There are patches for the package management available, which require a restart of yast. These should be installed first and all other patches after the restart. You have currently selected some packages which should be installed after the restart. Do you want to install the selected packages nevertheless?"

I think it clearly states that these packages are selected for update (and therefore can not be hidden) and warns me not to do that, right? And these are really a lot of packages.
    Should i ignore this?

However i think i should do the following:
    Make a bootable snapshot (in whatever way that can be accomplished).
    update the system with all packages that the package manager gives me.
    If it can boot correctly, start the upgrade to 42.2 in offline mode from the command line.

Does that sound like a sane plan?

Ok - since the System *is* somehow important to me :-) i will upgrade offline and in text mode.
    Offline *and* in text mode?

To do an *offline* upgrade just boot from the CD/DVD or USB stick and choose "Upgrade".
    There's no point in forcing text mode...

I think it clearly states that these packages are selected for update (and therefore can not be hidden) and warns me not to do that, right?
    No.
    As I said, it "warns" you that the updates affect the package management itself.
    You should start YaST again after installing those updates because there will be more updates.

However i think i should do the following:
    Make a bootable snapshot (in whatever way that can be accomplished).
    update the system with all packages that the package manager gives me.
    If it can boot correctly, start the upgrade to 42.2 in offline mode from the command line.

Does that sound like a sane plan?
    You currently are just updating 13.2 to the latest state, aren't you?
    Why do you think you have to do anything special for that?
    That's something you should have done already all the time anyway...

Or did you switch the repos to a different openSUSE version already?
    Then you misunderstood something.
    As I wrote already, you should not use YaST (in the running system) to do the actual upgrade. (it is possible, I did that in the past as well on some occasions, but you'd need to know what you do and it can be cumbersome because of the conflicts you may get)

Otherwise, as I said, if you do an offline upgrade, the installer will create a bootable snapshot of your 13.2 system anyway before it is upgraded.
    (actually all snapshots are/should be "bootable")

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast