Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Power management not working properly after upgrading from 13.2

Default Re: Power management not working properly after upgrading from 13.2

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Then you probably need to explain how did you hibernate in the first place. Hibernation requires some disk space to save memory. Normally it is either swap or unused disk partition.
    Sorry, my bad! The partitioning is as follows:

Code:
    # fdisk -l
    Disk /dev/sda: 37.3 GiB, 40007761920 bytes, 78140160 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x20a0209f

Device     Boot    Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1           2048  2105343  2103296    1G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda2  *     2105344 18876415 16771072    8G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3       18876416 78139391 59262976 28.3G 83 Linux

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    That could be a backlight issue. I've seen suggestions to use a custom Xorg config file (eg /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf) with the following

Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier  "Default Device"
            Driver      "intel"
            Option      "Backlight"  "intel_backlight"
            BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
    EndSection
    It will take effect next time the X-server is started. See if that helps.
    I added this file and rebooted. X won't start at all.

BTW, what do your current boot parameters look like? (Just in case tweaking is needed)
    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline
    Code:
    BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-1-default root=UUID=.....(not sure if this should be public, so I remove it) resume=/dev/sda1 splash=verbose quiet showopts plymouth.enable=0

Blog Entries

I added this file and rebooted. X won't start at all.
    Ok, just remove it then.

Code:
    BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-1-default root=UUID=.....(not sure if this should be public, so I remove it) resume=/dev/sda1 splash=verbose quiet showopts plymouth.enable=0
    I wouldn't get too paranoid about that. At least it shows that the swap partition is defined (for hiberantion).

I really don't understand why If Tumbleweed is more modern and improved it can't even do what 13.2 could

Any ideas what to do?

You leave a bunch of junk in by upgrading. A fresh install will be both easier and probably won't see as many problems. It was recommended you do a fresh install.

If you think it is user settings try a different user.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    I really don't understand why If Tumbleweed is more modern and improved it can't even do what 13.2 could

Any ideas what to do?
    Sometimes old hardware has quirks that need various workarounds. With the move to systemd, some of the old methods won't work, or may conflict with it. I'd be inclined to remove apcid entirely, or try Gogalthorp's suggestion of a clean install (backing up any important data first). There are boot parameters that may help with the backlight/ACPI issue, but we're in the realms of experimentation with this. Some online research will be involved.

Hm. What is that supposed to do?
    This is what your pm-hibernate did after executing a lot of other scripts. Unless it was configured to use user-level suspend. So it just shortcuts it to make sure none of pm-utils scripts interfere.

I tried it after reading your post and the result is power down. After I turned on the power again there was a quick and long text on screen (for less than 1 second, so I couldn't read it) and then the PC rebooted itself. The final result is: as if I have done a regular reboot
    This is consistent with your other experience and points to kernel problem. Unfortunately debugging of suspend/resume problems is very hard, especially if you do not have some way of capturing early console output. The first thing to do is to try some older kernel (as it did work in the past it may be kernel regression). Do you have 32 or 64 bit system?

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    You leave a bunch of junk in by upgrading. A fresh install will be both easier and probably won't see as many problems. It was recommended you do a fresh install.

If you think it is user settings try a different user.
    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Sometimes old hardware has quirks that need various workarounds. With the move to systemd, some of the old methods won't work, or may conflict with it. I'd be inclined to remove apcid entirely, or try Gogalthorp's suggestion of a clean install (backing up any important data first). There are boot parameters that may help with the backlight/ACPI issue, but we're in the realms of experimentation with this. Some online research will be involved.
    I have already tried reinstalling from scratch and there was this problem:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...annot-continue

which I also mentioned here:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...le-recommended

This is what your pm-hibernate did after executing a lot of other scripts. Unless it was configured to use user-level suspend. So it just shortcuts it to make sure none of pm-utils scripts interfere.
    I don't quite understand what you are talking about. Could you please explain?

This is consistent with your other experience and points to kernel problem. Unfortunately debugging of suspend/resume problems is very hard, especially if you do not have some way of capturing early console output.
    I am watching what is happening by using 'journalctl -f' in a ssh console connected to the laptop from my desktop machine.

The first thing to do is to try some older kernel (as it did work in the past it may be kernel regression).
    I can choose an older boot image but since it has remained from 13.2 won't it interfere inappropriately with the Tumbleweed system?

Do you have 32 or 64 bit system?
    32 bit, as explained in the OP.

Today I tried manually running systemctl hibernate from console and it hibernates the system (tried from runlevel 3 and 5, it works). However the problem with the reboot upon wake-up remains. The system is not restored but simply boots as if starting from after shutdown.

I also tried replacing the pm-hibernate command with 'systemctl hibernate' in the script and tested:

Code:
    Jan 19 14:40:32 acer.group systemd-logind[941]: Lid closed.
    Jan 19 14:40:37 acer.group root[1964]: AC power is off.

... waited 30 seconds and more... it was supposed to hibernate but it did not

Jan 19 14:41:43 acer.group systemd-logind[941]: Lid opened.
    Jan 19 14:41:46 acer.group root[2039]: AC power is on.
    Jan 19 14:41:46 acer.group root[2040]: Cancelling closed lid hibernation.
    Jan 19 14:41:46 acer.group systemd-udevd[2073]: Process '/usr/sbin/tlp auto' failed with exit code 4.

Can anyone please explain why Tumbleweed can't do such a simple basic thing which 13.2 could?

Is there any bug which I have to report or what?

I really hope to get some help. Thank you so much.

I am watching what is happening by using 'journalctl -f' in a ssh console connected to the laptop from my desktop machine.
    It does not capture early boot messages and they are important in this case.
    Is there any bug which I have to report or what?
    Looks like it.

It does not capture early boot messages and they are important in this case.
    How can I catch them?

Looks like it.
    No problem but in which particular section of bugzilla to classify it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast