Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Video playback lag after upgrading from 13.2

Default Re: Video playback lag after upgrading from 13.2

Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    Installed vaapi-tools.
    yes, but you didn't provide the output from the tool.

Tried all video output drivers - nothing works well enough.
    yes, because your system is not configured properly. In any regard, you needn't have tried them all as:
    • some -vo of mplayer are broken
    • some are hideously ancient
    • some are useless ... really, what purpose does an asci representation provide?
    • some have nothing applicable to your hardware
    • some have special uses (for example, directfb, which is kind of a psuedo display server ... in any regard, last I checked it was broken)

When selecting multimedia engine to be mplayer videos don't play at all. Black screen.
    yes, not surprising ... the mplayer or smplayer log from View > logs would likely convey exactly why ... but don't bother.

In general, mpv is a much better engine to use with smplayer. IMO mplayer is good from cmdline for testing

And its informative -- very first thing that pops out is that it can't utilise Xv and so fallsback to the x11 output driver. As you then observed, xvinfo shows that no Xv capability exitsts.

That points us to exactly where we want to go.

The remainder of the tests aren't useful because the underlining issue has now been brought to light (configuration issue) and also for the bullet list of reasons I stated above.

How come? The same configuration in 13.2 worked. Now it doesn't. I haven't changed any settings in smplayer?
    That you can't use Xv points me to video driver. We don't have any Xorg log info, but we do have your /lspci output from above. I did not spot it earlier, but now I can clearly see that your kernel driver is not loaded. That means your proper xorg driver isn't going to be loaded either, hence why there is no Xv when there should be.

You have likely used nomodeset in your kernel boot command, and now are using the generic fbdev driver.

show "cat /proc/cmdline" or the output of your Xorg.0.log

But again the question remains: why the same hardware with the same settings was not too slow in 13.2?
    See above ... i.e. configuration issue

heyjoe NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_K View Post
    yes, but you didn't provide the output from the tool.
    How do I do that?

I am not an expert, just trying all the options. If there are any other things to try in order to solve the problem please just let me know.

I still don't understand why there should be a configuration issue. I have not changed any configuration. Is the process of upgrading from 13.2 to Tumbleweed changing it?

Code:
    # cat /proc/cmdline
    BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-1-default root=UUID=.... resume=/dev/sda1 splash=verbose quiet showopts plymouth.enable=0

heyjoe NNTP User

Just ran 'zypper up' which updated quite a few things, including kernel. Reboot and... everything works just fine now, without touching any config whatsoever

How do I do that?

I am not an expert, just trying all the options.
    Don't sell yourself short, you're doing great. As it is, you already managed to run xvinfo ... now just run "vainfo"

Similarly, there's other utility tools out there like: xvmcinfo, glxinfo, vdpauinfo, xdpyinfo ..... I'm beginning to detect a pattern here

I still don't understand why there should be a configuration issue. I have not changed any configuration. Is the process of upgrading from 13.2 to Tumbleweed changing it?

Code:
    # cat /proc/cmdline
    BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-1-default root=UUID=.... resume=/dev/sda1 splash=verbose quiet showopts plymouth.enable=0
    Ahh, well, I had incorrectly assumed that you (for whatever reason; and I had assumed that it would have been for a mistaken reason) had changed the boot option. However, your cmdline clearly shows that was not the case. But it also gives a big clue: the kernel 4.9.0-1 kernel ... if you want to (and there really isn't need to anymore), you can look back in the forums and you will see that there was a lot of problems for users when the 4.9 kernel was first introduced just over the last couple of weeks. I can only assume that you were impacted as well, and the intel kernel driver (i915) was not loading in your case.

Just ran 'zypper up' which updated quite a few things, including kernel. Reboot and... everything works just fine now, without touching any config whatsoever
    Good to see that the kernel update has apparently resolved your issue. Can you post the output of
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk|  egrep 'VGA|3D|Display' -A3

heyjoe NNTP User

Code:
    # /sbin/lspci -nnk|  egrep 'VGA|3D|Display' -A300:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller [8086:2592] (rev 03)
            Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:006a]
            Kernel driver in use: i915
            Kernel modules: i915
    00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller [8086:2792] (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 [8086:2658] (rev 03)
    # uname -a
    Linux acer.group 4.9.3-1-default #1 SMP Thu Jan 12 11:32:53 UTC 2017 (2c7dfab) i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Okay, the kernel driver is loaded now. I have nothing to doubt that the xorg environment is functional as well.

But, (third times a charm) we still don't have your vainfo output ... so we can't tell you if your chipset has any hardware decoding capabilities ... but given its age, I'd suspect that its only mpeg2 if any.

(BTW, if you're wondering why there is a second graphics device entry in the lspci or hwinfo output, its related to the TV-out/s-video for your device).

heyjoe NNTP User

Thanks Tyler. Here is the vainfo:

Code:
    > vainfo
    libva info: VA-API version 0.39.4
    libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/i915_drv_video.so
    libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
    vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

Thanks Tyler. Here is the vainfo:

Code:
    > vainfo
    libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/i915_drv_video.so
    That is exactly the same message that I get when I don't have the vaapi-intel-video driver installed. Are you sure you have it installed?

heyjoe NNTP User

It looks like it is, just without the word "video" in the name of the package:

Code:
    # rpm -q vaapi-intel-driver 
    vaapi-intel-driver-1.7.3-1.1.i586
    # rpm -ql vaapi-intel-driver                                                                                                                       
    /usr/lib/dri                                                                                                                                               
    /usr/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
    I notice the i965 index which is different from what my video adapter info says (i915). No idea if that matters.

It looks like it is, just without the word "video" in the name of the package:
    Yes, sorry, my mistake, that is indeed the one I meant.

I notice the i965 index which is different from what my video adapter info says (i915). No idea if that matters.
    The i915 is the kernel driver. i965 is the DRI (Mesa 3D) driver. The xorg driver is intel. Those are the three main components of the intel driver stack (there is a little more to the story, but that's the main things that users will encounter).

Now, having said that, I want to retract my prior statement -- that is not! exactly what I get when the vaapi-intel-driver is uninstalled. Instead, I get:
    Code:
    vainfo
    libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/i965_drv_video.so
    I'm not sure why your output would say i915. Did you edit the info by chance (i.e. copy and paste error and inadvertently change the 6 to a 1 given the prior information discussed in the thread?)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast