Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baloo_file_extractor high memory usage

Default baloo_file_extractor high memory usage

Greetings!

After installation of Leap 42.2 baloo has started to rescan all the files. The problem is that the process baloo_file_extractor uses too much memory. Because of its high memory usage all the system works very slowly.

I do need file search that is why I don't want to delete/disable baloo. But is it possible to limit memory usage of baloo?

Best regards,
    Oleksii

Default Re: baloo_file_extractor high memory usage

i noticed 300 to 400mb usage a few days ago, its now more acceptable at 150mb - see if it persists a reboot

In my case it reaches up to ~2 GB of shared memory use. Reboot doesn't help. Now I just kill this process but this means I don't have indexing.

also for me, it slow down and the systen resulted unusable, I uninstalled baloo and extractor and usew kfind

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksey_R View Post
    Greetings!

After installation of Leap 42.2 baloo has started to rescan all the files. The problem is that the process baloo_file_extractor uses too much memory. Because of its high memory usage all the system works very slowly.

I do need file search that is why I don't want to delete/disable baloo. But is it possible to limit memory usage of baloo?

Best regards,
    Oleksii
    I disable it and use Recoll instead.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Thanks, that's interesting. Do you use it? If yes, could you please answer some questions about it? Is it integrated into Dolphin? And does it index the contents of files, or just their names?

Thanks, that's interesting. Do you use it? If yes, could you please answer some questions about it? Is it integrated into Dolphin? And does it index the contents of files, or just their names?
    Out of curiosity, what's interesting? You did not quote, so not sure what it is. I think you are referring to Recoll, but not certain. Let us know.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

recoll sounds very interesting, could you say how you do this, how to integrate into dolphin, krunner etc? also how to have it do the index (cron/inotify?)

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Out of curiosity, what's interesting? You did not quote, so not sure what it is. I think you are referring to Recoll, but not certain. Let us know.
    Sorry, yes, I meant Recoll. Is it integrated into KDE, or it serves as standalone application?

Sorry, yes, I meant Recoll. Is it integrated into KDE, or it serves as standalone application?
    It is in the repos.

It runs separately.

It is GUI, runs very nicely in KDE (I imagine also on other desktops, but I only use KDE).

You use simple configuration menu to decide which directories/files you want it to index.

You run it when you want to use it, it does not continually run in the background, so does not suck up your resources when you are trying to do other things.

It is a full indexer, meaning you can search your indexed files for, say, "I installed Recoll in January", or "fix reboot problem", or whatever is in your files. It does the full index on archives and on PDFs, as well. Check it out, easy to install, easy to check out, easy to remove if you do not like it.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast