baloo_file_extractor high memory usage

Greetings!

After installation of Leap 42.2 baloo has started to rescan all the files. The problem is that the process baloo_file_extractor uses too much memory. Because of its high memory usage all the system works very slowly.

I do need file search that is why I don’t want to delete/disable baloo. But is it possible to limit memory usage of baloo?

Best regards,
Oleksii

i noticed 300 to 400mb usage a few days ago, its now more acceptable at 150mb - see if it persists a reboot

In my case it reaches up to ~2 GB of shared memory use. Reboot doesn’t help. Now I just kill this process but this means I don’t have indexing.

also for me, it slow down and the systen resulted unusable, I uninstalled baloo and extractor and usew kfind

I disable it and use Recoll instead.

Thanks, that’s interesting. Do you use it? If yes, could you please answer some questions about it? Is it integrated into Dolphin? And does it index the contents of files, or just their names?

Out of curiosity, what’s interesting? You did not quote, so not sure what it is. I think you are referring to Recoll, but not certain. Let us know.:wink:

recoll sounds very interesting, could you say how you do this, how to integrate into dolphin, krunner etc? also how to have it do the index (cron/inotify?)

Sorry, yes, I meant Recoll. Is it integrated into KDE, or it serves as standalone application?

It is in the repos.

It runs separately.

It is GUI, runs very nicely in KDE (I imagine also on other desktops, but I only use KDE).

You use simple configuration menu to decide which directories/files you want it to index.

You run it when you want to use it, it does not continually run in the background, so does not suck up your resources when you are trying to do other things.

It is a full indexer, meaning you can search your indexed files for, say, “I installed Recoll in January”, or “fix reboot problem”, or whatever is in your files. It does the full index on archives and on PDFs, as well. Check it out, easy to install, easy to check out, easy to remove if you do not like it.

ok, i already use recoll for my pdf library (its very good), i thought maybe you where suggesting it could replace baloo at a system level i.e. dolphin integration etc

Dear Gerry Makaro,

thank you very much for advice.

I had both word/latex/pdf documents and results of calculations (text files with large amounts of numbers ) mixed, and both baloo and recoll had stuck during indexing process. When I had separated calculations and documents to different folders and told to indexers not to index results of calculations, recoll works fine while baloo still consumes enormous amounts of memory and is completely unusable (has someone succeeded in using baloo in OpenSUSE 42.2?).

There is no direct integration of recoll and dolphin as far as I understand, and I don’t see any need in krunner integration (however it works). But recoll is more-less convenient as standalone application after some time of use.

Best regards,
Oleksii Rukhlenko

Thanks, Oleksii. Also, thanks for providing the additional information for any other users who read this thread.

Personally, I am plenty happy to simply pop up Recoll when I need to find something, and I only need to set it to what I want indexed.