Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barcode generation software for Leap42.2/KDE

Default Barcode generation software for Leap42.2/KDE

Hi everyone
    For our little business we need to print barcode labels. I had a look around and found kbarcode (for KDE3 - we are now KDE5 or KDE plasma or whatever it is called). Is anyone of you using such a (hopefully easy to use) software you can recommend? Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Regards
    Uli

Blog Entries

Default Re: Barcode generation software for Leap42.2/KDE

Hi
    glabels and barcode perhaps?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Thanks, malcolmlewis, I have used something similar to glabels before (more than 15 years ago) but now I prefer to use LibreOffice Calc and I set the width and height to the size of the labels I am printing now and I set the margins according to the margins of the label sheet. That is not the problem. The barcode programme you mentioned has no instructions except a man page and barcode --help. I need a programme which creates the barcodes in a simple way. I have had a look at one programme working with Pearl but there are hardly any instructions and what is there I don't understand since I am no programmer. There are similar programmes running with Ruby, Python, Java and other programming languages. But I would need an explanation for a non-programmer or a GUI. The kbarcode lookes OK with its GUI but it is for KDE3 and it seems it wasn't updated since 2006. I would have thought that barcodes would be common enough and someone has written something useful but I didn't find anything. No luck so far.

Blog Entries

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Thank you, malcolmlewis, that looks much simpler than all the other applications I looked at. I will give it a go!

Blog Entries

Been awhile since I've done this,
    Last one I used was a barcode generator from github.

And, when you ask for a barcode generator you also generally need to also specify what kind of barcode and encoding you want. Nowadays, 2D barcodes are very popular largely because of how much information they can hold and that practically any mobile phone can read them (using the camera).

If you do a search for something like "barcode create github" nowadays you'll get a multitude of results.
    I'd recommend taking your pick from any of them.

The following seems to be one the author has spent time creating an application and a website with screenshots...
    https://zint.github.io/

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Thank you tsu2. I don't need the 2D barcode - our customers need the simple barcode on the product to scan at the point of sale so that the correct price comes up. As I have written previously - several of the barcode creating programmes seem to need more programming knowledge than I have - and I had a look at several. Others which look simple to use are out of date and don't run any more (e.g. the libreOffice extension or kbarcode). With some trial and error I got the barcode command working to create a single barcode at the bottom of an A4 page where I need to take a screenshot to create an image hopefully with enough resolution for these barcode scanners. I have now installed zint with libQZint (from Packet search as .rpm) but there is nothing in the launcher menu. When I type zint -qt no GUI comes up as described in the manual, there is no man page only some options when I type zint --help. But nothing to get to the GUI which with those pictures in the manual looks easy to use. I can try to fiddle round with the command line option when I have more time. Maybe you know how to get the GUI up? Or should I have installed it form the .tar.gz file? Cheers Uli

I cannot really help with barcode software.

But just one thing:
    Quote Originally Posted by fuerstu View Post
    I had a look around and found kbarcode (for KDE3 - we are now KDE5 or KDE plasma or whatever it is called).
    You have a misconception there.

kbarcode is not written "for KDE3", it just uses the KDE3 libraries for its GUI.
    You can just run it on Plasma5 too, or any other desktop for that matter (like any other KDE application)

That's actually the reason why the KDE developers decided to rebrand their software years ago:
    https://dot.kde.org/2009/11/24/repositioning-kde-brand

So, if it does what you want, just use it I'd say.

Thank you, wolfi, but I would need to install the KDE3 libraries to test it. I finally found how to get the zint gui (zint-qt) it was another package I must have missed installing and this programme does exactly what I want. Thank you all for your responses!

Quote Originally Posted by fuerstu View Post
    Thank you, wolfi, but I would need to install the KDE3 libraries to test it.
    And?
    Just like you'd need to install the KDE4 libraries to run a KDE4 app, or the GTK libraries to run a GTK app, or the xlib libraries to run any X app.

Yes, this has been improved with Qt5 and KDE Frameworks5 where you only need to install the components that are really needed.

But the kdelibs3 and qt3 are not really *that* large either that it makes a big difference with today's hard drives.
    It's yours to decide that of course though...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 15-Jan-2017 at 15:41.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast