Thread: Java app could use >16k threads in 13.2, now it fails to create threads below 4k

Unhappy Java app could use >16k threads in 13.2, now it fails to create threads below 4k

Hi,

I have a Java application that needs many threads. I today updated from 13.2 to tumbleweed, and now I can only use 2-3k threads (instead of over 16k on 13.2, same java), otherwise I get:

Code:
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
    I think the OS does not let the JVM create more new threads for some reason. JVM is the same as in 13.2 (java 8 in /home).

Does anybody have an idea what changed? Could switching to Leap solve that? Or back to 13.2?

I had to kill the baloo indexer because it made the system very laggy, but other than that everything seems ok.

Default Re: Java app could use >16k threads in 13.2, now it fails to create threads below 4k

Maybe this is the reason:

Tumbleweed: ulimit -a
    Code:
    pending signals                 (-i) 31526
    max user processes              (-u) 4096
    Other 13.2 server I have around: ulimit -a
    Code:
    pending signals                 (-i) 15515
    max user processes              (-u) 15515
    Does this come form the kernel, or is this a decision by the Tumbleweed designers?

Default Re: Java app could use >16k threads in 13.2, now it fails to create threads below 4k

Removed fork bomb protection from: /etc/security/limits.conf
    This gives:
    Code:
    ulimit -u
    Now it works again.