is it safe to uninstall software updates ??

on kde plasma 5, how can I uninstall the software update software?? the circular icon with an arrow towards the high in the system tray, it cannot be stopped becouse the check interval option “never” is not available (very like windows 10 :\ ) so, is it safe to uninstall it?? and, what’s its name to search in yast>software management to uninstall it??
or, is there a way to set the option check to never??
manythanks, ciao :slight_smile: pier

Yep, you can uninstall it, it’s called plasma-pk-updater. Mind, you may have to taboo it to avoid reinstall as recommended.

As you talk about a “system tray”, I assume you have some desktop running. But you failed to identify it :(.

When it is KDE (Plasma 5) then you could uninstall the package plasm5-pk-updates.

You could also uninstall Packagekit which is behind it and which you do not need if you use either YaST and.or zypper for your software management.

yes, it is kde plasma5, …:wink: …I start the post with “on kde plasma 5…”

uh, also packagekit… :slight_smile: manythanks to you and knurpht

You are right :shame:. I missed it, sorry. Maybe because KDE is normally written uppercase.

I use “System Tray Settings” and uncheck the box for “Software Update”. I did that back in November, and have not been bothered ever since.

I do use “Yast online update” and “zypper up” from time to time. I do the updating at my own convenience (usually just before a planned reboot).

Same here. And, that is usually Saturday. After the updates, I then run new backups.

Almost same here. I do this on Tuesday morning (right now), as the wife is away normally then, thus I can backup and update her system without it being in use (not a prerequisite, but easier when there is e.g. a new kernel).

But I want the icon not only disarmed, bit also removed. The end user should not see an icon for an applet (s)he can not do anything with.

If ‘Software Updates’ is disabled via the ‘System Tray Settings’, the updater icon does not show.

Yes, but that is an action to be done by the end-user as part of his/her customizing of her/his desktop.
As system administrator/manager I don’t want the end-user being responsible for that. It shouldn’t be there already on his/her first login. And it should be impossible for the end user to switch it on.

Well, then the administrator really would need to make sure plasma5-pk-updates was not installed, but I note

rpm -q --whatrequires plasma5-pk-updates
plasma5-pk-updates-lang-0.2-5.1.noarch
patterns-openSUSE-kde_plasma-20150918-12.1.x86_64

so it would need to be tabooed as well.

As I suspect most of us are the administrator and end-user, disabling what we don’t like via the desktop is sufficient :slight_smile:

It is also possible to leave it all in place but require the admin credentials to allow updates by changing the org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-update privileges. It’s currently allowed for the active user…

pkaction --verbose --action-id org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-update
org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-update:
  description:       Update software
  vendor:            The PackageKit Project
  vendor_url:        http://www.packagekit.org/
  icon:              package-x-generic
  implicit any:      auth_admin
  implicit inactive: auth_admin
  implicit active:   yes

On PC’s / servers / workstations: the sysadmin
On laptops: the sysadmin if they’re a company’s, the user if it’s a self-chosen private linux user.
My 2 cents.

Yep, pretty much… although I know of some with company laptops where they have Windows and Linux, with the latter being self-administrated. I happen to be one of those. :slight_smile:

Well, I haven’t it installed on system installation and it is not installed automagicaly afterwards. I just did a YaST Online Update to be sure. It swamped me with all sorts of SAMBA packages (which I also did not install and thus I must remember totaboo them), but plasm5-pk-updates is still not installed.
This could be because I also do not have Packagekit.

I am a bit stubborn here. I believe in different roles even if they are by incident executed by the same human being.

Yes, but now we are turning in circles. Apart from the fact that I (and many here, see also other threads) think that that is a security hole by default, the subject here is having an icon on the end users desktop which is of no use to him (specially when you plug the hole as you suggest).

We have a nice child’s book (also made into a movie) about a young boy that operated the elevator in a department store. There were of course buttons for every floor, but there was also one turquoise coloured button at the top of the row. The only instruction he got about it was: Do NOT use it. The rest is up to your imagination (I hope you still have some imagination from your childhood).

I’m aware of those threads/aruments, and I maintain that the choice is down to the administrator about how much of this is exposed and/or enabled. I understand the argument about not having it enabled or even available, and that can be done by removing the package for good (as administrator).

We have a nice child’s book (also made into a movie) about a young boy that operated the elevator in a department store. There were of course buttons for every floor, but there was also one turquoise coloured button at the top of the row. The only instruction he got about it was: Do NOT use it. The rest is up to your imagination (I hope you still have some imagination from your childhood).

I would argue that it is common practice these days that some elevator functions are normally designed to operate only with a designated key or card, and polkit (or even via /etc/systconfig/security) can fulfil the necessary restrictions. Even when a user attempts to press the update button it won’t work.