Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: have custom system tray icons

  1. #1

    Default have custom system tray icons

    using KDE plasma5.8.5
    I would like to change the white color of the icons in system tray of oxygen theme.

    in KDE4 I did this:
    copyed icons from /usr/share/kde4/apps/desktoptheme/oxygen/icons
    in /home/[username]/.kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme/default/icons/
    and in /home/[username]/.kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme/oxygen/icons/
    colored the icons with inkscape
    removed the file “icon-cache.kcache” and “plasma_theme_[theme-name].kcache”
    in /home/[username]/.kde/cache-[ComputerName]
    in /home/[username]/.kde4/cache-[ComputerName]
    rebooted and it worked, I had colored icons in the system tray

    in plasma5 I did this:
    copyed icons from /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/oxygen/icons
    in /home/[username]/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/oxygen/icons/
    and in /home/[username]/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/oxygen/icons/
    colored the icons with inkscape
    removed the file “icon-cache.kcache” and “plasma_theme_[theme-name].kcache”
    in /home/[username]/.cache
    rebooted and it doesn't work.

    how can I have custom colored icons in the system tray??

  2. #2

    Default Re: have custom system tray icons

    Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    in KDE4 I did this:
    copyed icons from /usr/share/kde4/apps/desktoptheme/oxygen/icons
    in /home/[username]/.kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme/default/icons/
    and in /home/[username]/.kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme/oxygen/icons/
    You create a new theme named "oxygen", and change the default one too?

    in plasma5 I did this:
    copyed icons from /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/oxygen/icons
    in /home/[username]/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/oxygen/icons/
    and in /home/[username]/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/oxygen/icons/
    Twice to the same folder?

    Note that the default theme in Plasma5 is "breeze", so copying the files to /home/[username]/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/default/icons/ won't help anyway.

    colored the icons with inkscape
    removed the file “icon-cache.kcache” and “plasma_theme_[theme-name].kcache”
    in /home/[username]/.cache
    You'd only need to remove plasma_theme_[theme-name].kcache, the icon cache is not necessary of you only change the theme files (but won't harm either).

    rebooted and it doesn't work.
    It should work.

    What desktop theme is actually configured?
    Post the content of the file ~/.config/plasmarc .

    Alternatively you could create a completely new system-wide theme.
    E.g. duplicate the folder /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/oxygen/ and name your copy "myoxygen", then modify the files in there and select "myoxygen" as desktop theme.

  3. #3

    Default Re: have custom system tray icons

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    You'd only need to remove plasma_theme_[theme-name].kcache, the icon cache is not necessary of you only change the theme files (but won't harm either).


    It should work.

    What desktop theme is actually configured?
    Post the content of the file ~/.config/plasmarc .
    [Theme]
    name=air
    air!!! the theme is air!! I'll try again with air
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Alternatively you could create a completely new system-wide theme.
    E.g. duplicate the folder /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/oxygen/ and name your copy "myoxygen", then modify the files in there and select "myoxygen" as desktop theme.
    I'll try, ...may be I have also to modify something in the metadata.desktop file??

  4. #4

    Default Re: have custom system tray icons

    Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    [Theme]
    name=air
    air!!! the theme is air!! I'll try again with air
    Right, so it's obvious why changing files in the oxygen theme doesn't seem to have any effect...

    In KDE4 it likely only worked because you changed them in the "default" theme too (which was Air).

    I'll try, ...may be I have also to modify something in the metadata.desktop file??
    You probably should change the name there too, otherwise you may not be able to keep them apart.

    But as I wrote, your previous way should work too (if you use the correct folder, i.e. change the correct theme, that is ).

  5. #5

    Default Re: have custom system tray icons

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Right, so it's obvious why changing files in the oxygen theme doesn't seem to have any effect...

    In KDE4 it likely only worked because you changed them in the "default" theme too (which was Air).

    You probably should change the name there too, otherwise you may not be able to keep them apart.
    But as I wrote, your previous way should work too (if you use the correct folder, i.e. change the correct theme, that is ).
    yessssssssss it works !!!!!! ...I can see the system try icons now, the nearlywhite on nearlywhite was invisible...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •