Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: akonadi does not start after data restore

Default Re: akonadi does not start after data restore

Quote Originally Posted by ndc33 View Post
    In this case I would lose all local accounts/information. Thats what I try to avoid. But thanks anyway!

Finally I did not find a solution to get akonadi up and running again, but a workaround: I took an older backup and inserted all akonadi-related parts into the current restore. As this older backup was taken from the root account, akonadi was not running in the user-session. So I could get back most of my mail.

That leads to some learnings and question.....
    1. Never store mails , contacts or appointsments locally
    2. have a separate mail account the can serve as backup (for those stuff you would normally store locally)
    3. When doing a backup of your user-data, dont do it from a running session. Do it e.g. from root-account
    4. Is anyone running a permanent backup, similar to time-machine on OS-X? How is transactional integrity ensured if akonadi is still running?

Quote Originally Posted by DocB View Post
    Finally I did not find a solution to get akonadi up and running again, but a workaround: I took an older backup and inserted all akonadi-related parts into the current restore. As this older backup was taken from the root account, akonadi was not running in the user-session. So I could get back most of my mail.

That leads to some learnings and question.....
    1. Never store mails , contacts or appointsments locally
    2. have a separate mail account the can serve as backup (for those stuff you would normally store locally)
    3. When doing a backup of your user-data, dont do it from a running session. Do it e.g. from root-account
    4. Is anyone running a permanent backup, similar to time-machine on OS-X? How is transactional integrity ensured if akonadi is still running?
    .local/share/akonadi is a cache. You always can delete it without losing mail. Your mail is stored by default in .local/share/local-mail. Backup this directory.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12