Hello everyone,

I need some help on determine and solve an encoding problem with filenames in Simple Chinese characters in my system.

I got a .zip file with the name in Simple Chinese (SC) characters. And it contains several documents with names in SC, too.

After unzipping the .zip file, I got a folder with name in unreadable characters when it should be SC characters. And all the files in it appear in unreadable names, too. However, when I unzip the .zip file in Windows, both of the folder name and the names of the files in it are shown in correct SC characters.

I am using KDE Plasma 5 with openSUSE Tumbleweed. Currently, the system is with an English locale as the preferred language. But situations are the same even when I set SC as the preferred language in Regional Settings. And I use Dolphin and Ark for browsing and unzipping the file(s).

But Dolphin and Ark can handle SC characters well when I perform zip/unzip operation in Linux. And sometimes, they can handle the files correctly from Windows as well. But I have no idea what's the difference because the files are from different colleagues.

I want Dolphin and Ark to handle zip files copied from Windows correctly, but I know little about encoding/decoding. Could anyone please help me understand the problem or provide me with a solution?

In case it helps, I uploaded an example here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...08858236658015

Regards,
cnzhx