Thread: Update cycle KDE Plasma 5.8.x

Default Update cycle KDE Plasma 5.8.x

I have a short question: I have seen that KDE team has released Plasma 5.8.5. It seems that Leap 42.2 still remains at 5.8.3.

I am of course aware that Leap - other than Tumbleweed - is not updating right away. I see no urgency in updating. I read that openSuse team will update KDE 5.8.x a few days after they are released. So just a question - did I miss 5.8.4 somehow, or is this just the normal cycle in Leap 42.2?

I do not want to annoy anyone here. I switched Linux releases sometimes in the past, and I just want to learn how this is handled with openSuse. Again, I am happy with Leap and see no reason to switch to Tumbleweed just to receive updates earlier ...

Thanks,

Eriol

Default Re: Update cycle KDE Plasma 5.8.x

Generally since leap is the stable branch only bug fixes are updated. versions don't get changed. TW being a rolling release gets to see all the released version. It is not unheard of that version may not be "released" because it is somehow broken so numbering is not absolutely linear and numbering may skip a number. Leap may got to 5.8.5 and it may not. It will never go to 5.9 unless there is an extraordinary reason

If you like riding the cutting edge you can get newer stuff in some additional repositories or move to TW

https://en.opensuse.org/KDE_repositories

Note if you do decide to use the more advanced versions you need to do a full vendor change to the repo you want to work from so you get all updates from there otherwise you may end up with mixed version which seldom works out well

Default Re: Update cycle KDE Plasma 5.8.x

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Generally since leap is the stable branch only bug fixes are updated. versions don't get changed. TW being a rolling release gets to see all the released version. It is not unheard of that version may not be "released" because it is somehow broken so numbering is not absolutely linear and numbering may skip a number. Leap may got to 5.8.5 and it may not. It will never go to 5.9 unless there is an extraordinary reason

If you like riding the cutting edge you can get newer stuff in some additional repositories or move to TW

https://en.opensuse.org/KDE_repositories

Note if you do decide to use the more advanced versions you need to do a full vendor change to the repo you want to work from so you get all updates from there otherwise you may end up with mixed version which seldom works out well
    KDE Plasma 5.8.x are bugfix releases AFAIK