Thread: the process for the desktop protocol died unexpectedly at first login in folder view plasmoid

Default the process for the desktop protocol died unexpectedly at first login in folder view plasmoid

hi, happy saint stephen
    on my [Laptop=Dell latitude E6510, RAM=8Gb, GPU=GT218 NVS 3100M, CPU=i7 Q 720 @ 1.60GHz running opensuse leap 42.2, plasma 5.8.4, KDE frameworks 5.29.0, KDE applications 16.12.0, Kernel 4.4.36-8-default, nvidia drivers]

at the first login one of the folder view plasmoids gives always this error and doesn't show the contents

Code:
    the process for the desktop protocol died unexpectedly
    if I logout and login again it works.
    how can I avoid this??
    manythanks, ciao, :-) pier

Blog Entries

Default Re: the process for the desktop protocol died unexpectedly at first login in folder view plasmoid

You can display the last "n" lines of the journal (system log) by something like the following which displays the last 100 lines
    Code:
    journalctl -n 100
    If you'd like to compare your current boot with the previous boot, you can similarly display the last 100 lines of the previous boot
    Code:
    journalctl -b 1 -n 100
    You can also query for errors in your boot
    Code:
    journalctl -p err -b
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Default Re: the process for the desktop protocol died unexpectedly at first login in folder view plasmoid

manythanks tsu,
    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    You can display the last "n" lines of the journal (system log) by something like the following which displays the last 100 lines
    Code:
    journalctl -n 100
    in the last 100 lines I'm not able to see nothing that seems to me relevant, so, reading the journalctl man I supposed that with this command
    Code:
    journalctl -b
    I can see all the last boot lines, but my skills are weak and nothing of relevant popped up to me, the output is here:
    https://paste.opensuse.org/51005760
    If you'd like to compare your current boot with the previous boot, you can similarly display the last 100 lines of the previous boot
    Code:
    journalctl -b 1 -n 100
    I will compare when I'll have a non error boot :-)
    You can also query for errors in your boot
    Code:
    journalctl -p err -b
    here is the errors
    Code:
    -- Logs begin at Wed 2016-12-07 13:35:11 CET, end at Mon 2016-12-26 17:54:47 CET. --
    Dec 26 10:25:03 pla3-TW.google.com systemd-coredump[2243]: Process 1942 (ksplashqml) of user 1000 dumped core.
    Dec 26 10:27:22 pla3-TW.google.com pulseaudio[2053]: [pulseaudio] module.c: Module "module-device-manager" should be loaded once at most. Refusing to load.
    manythanks, ciao, :-) pier

Blog Entries

The command I gave to display only the last 100 lines was only a suggestion.
    Sometimes, if you don't know exactly what you're looking for, you'll have to look at more log entries, perhaps even the entire bootlog.
    Then, hopefully you're good at skimming and being able to more or less recognize normal entries vs abnormal events.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!