Virtual Desktops with their own icons?

I got the impression somewhere along the line that KDE virtual desktops (cube effect) had their own unique set of icons / wallpaper. Is there a setting I’m not finding? Many thanks.

ps I’m new to Linux and had a look at Plasma Themes on OpenDesktops.org. There are ones that are six years old on the site. What’s the general rule on how old is no longer worth installing? Any tips most appreciated.

No, this functionality has been removed in Plasma5.

See e.g. 343246 – plasma 5 doesn't allow different wallpapers and widgets for each virtual desktop and 341143 – Bring back per-virtual-desktop wallpapers.

Somebody created a hack to use different wallpapers per virtual desktop though:

ps I’m new to Linux and had a look at Plasma Themes on OpenDesktops.org. There are ones that are six years old on the site. What’s the general rule on how old is no longer worth installing? Any tips most appreciated.

Well, there were changes in Plasma5, so older themes that were not especially created for Plasma5 might miss some elements.
Though they should work in principle (and normally, missing pieces should be taken from the default theme instead).