Thread: Problem with dependencies

Default Problem with dependencies

Hello,

When I run zypper up I get this problem of depts:

http://imgur.com/2utPwXq

I have some frozen packages that I do not use but opensuse wants to delete me dolphin, kdenlive, vlc, does not update chromium.

I only have the official repos and packman.

Thank you.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Problem with dependencies

It's nothing to worry about, actually.

As long as it is removing applications, rather than packages, I don't think it means anything. I've been seeing those messages for two years or more with Tumbleweed, with no bad effects. The application is still there. I just ignore that.

I do see a long list of packages, where I think it says that they won't be updated (if I'm guessing right, given the different language). That probably indicates that you did not switch those packages to Packman. It's normal to see that kind of list, but it is usually shorter.

I suggest you start with a switch of system packages to packman. Use Yast Software Management. Select the "Repositories" view. Click on the packman repo. There should then be an option to switch system packages to that repo. I suggest you go with that. And then run "zypper up" for good measure.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

This is Vendor stickiness. With zypper up only packages from the repos that a package was installed from will get upgraded if the ver number is higher but there may be repos that have the package at a higher number and those packages are listed as not updated since upgrades only come from the same vendor.

zypper dup ignores vendors and installs the highest version number (and changes vendors) in the current repo list. You can limit to a subset of active repos using the --from modifier

you can see it removes "VLC Media Player" but then upgrades vlc
    about pepper-flash packman doesn't seam to have it for LEAP or TW anymore it could be chromium/chrome finally decided to drop it or a build error?
    http://packman.links2linux.org/packa...m-pepper-flash
    it's not on packman's mirrors too
    ftp://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE...ntials/x86_64/
    only the updated adobe npapi flash 24 can be found
    maybe chromium works with npapi again?

a closer look at packman's mirror shows a new package
    ftp://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE...2.2.x86_64.rpm
    pepper-flash has been renamed flash-player-ppapi
    after running zypper up install it
    Code:
    zypper in flash-player-ppapi
    you can see a flash-player-ppapi download link for LEAP here
    http://packman.links2linux.org/package/flash-player

I see from your list you have fresh-player since adobe finally updated nppapi flash for linux (packman has it) so you don't need freshplayer-plugin, as you have ppapi (pepper) flash it might cause problems remove it

Blog Entries

Those items you're asking about, I don't consider dependencies but more as stand alone optional versions. Dependencies are different than options in that a dependency is something that is needed for something else, whereas an option stands on its own so the decision to install it or not won't effect other things in any great way.

As gogalthorp says, it might have something to do with "vendor stickiness," you're being informed that another version of what you have exists, but someone made a decision to not yet install... It might be a different "vendor," but it might also be because it's not yet ready or is a fork with consequence the maintainers do not at this time want to deal with.

In other words, there is no real way to know for sure why the decision was made not to install that item, but it is there in your repos for you to over-ride and try if you wish.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!