Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No screen without monitor plugged in (VNC, TeamViewer)

Default Re: No screen without monitor plugged in (VNC, TeamViewer)

Another solution which I've have great success with is NoMachine [ https://www.nomachine.com/ ]. I've been using it to access my desktop machine from my Galaxy Tab S without any difficulty. It's easy to set up, and easy to use.

Recently I had a weird problem where the X window server wouldn’t give me a GUI display on the desktop terminal, but using NoMachine from my tablet worked, it allowed me to access the desktop with a GUI from my tablet. I also use NoMachine to access my desktop when I'm traveling to other countries.
    AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-core Processor, 32MB memory, KDE
    DRIVES: 2 4TB BTRFS raid1, 1 4TB BTRFS for backups

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    SDDM (which is used by default on a KDE installation) doesn't support VNC though, so Remote Administration in YaST won't work, i.e. you won't be able to connect to the host via VNC (unless you run x11vnc in a running session).
    And also SDDM doesn't show a login screen without a display connected, see https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/598.

I would therefore suggest to switch to a different displaymanager/login screen if you want to use VNC or boot without a display connected, e.g. lightdm or kdm.
    Install it and set DISPLAYMANAGER="xxx" in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager accordingly.
    I am trying to get VNC working here as well. Using Tumbleweed.

The port is open and Krfb is accepting connections. However, remote connections can only see the green screen with the lightbulb on the right hand side.

What I've tried:

Set kdm as display manager.
    Used both Plasma 5 and KDE Plasma as desktop.
    Discovered that in previous versions, others had success by turning off "Desktop Effects" but cannot find that. In another thread, someone suggested that turning of Compositor was the same as turning off Desktop Effects, however that has not helped either.

Did you install kdm because it is not there by default

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Did you install kdm because it is not there by default
    Yes. And then set it as the Display Manager, rebooted and saw the kdm login screen.

That should work with remote software SDDM is broken for remote. And should work headless

That should work with remote software SDDM is broken for remote. And should work headless
    Well, it's not working. I have double checked it myself. I have logged into my OpenSuse box with kdm as the display manager. I have opened krfb.

Using my son's Windows laptop on a remote network, and using TigerVNCViewer, I can connect to my OpenSuse box. I accept the connection on the OpenSuse box.

The laptop still only sees the green screen with light bulb on the right hand side. It can control the mouse, but cannot view the desktop on the OpenSuse box.

It is not working.

Maybe you need to reset up the server to get the KDM screen. Seems like you are some how still using SDDM for the remote.

Maybe you need to reset up the server to get the KDM screen. Seems like you are some how still using SDDM for the remote.
    Would you be able to point me to where I could figure out how to do that? There does not appear to be any useful configuration options in Krfb to do that.

Okay, on a hunch, I deleted the ~/.vnc directory and restarted Kfrb (KDE Desktop Sharing).

That got me beyond the "green screen of death" that the remote client could only get to previously. So, a little bit closer but still not where it should be. Now, on the remote client, one of the open applications on the Desktop server can be seen. Clicking on any of the other open applications in the taskbar opens that app's window on the Desktop server, but cannot be seen on the remote client. In other words, the remote client can control the server Desktop, but can't see what it's actually doing.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeHughie View Post
    Would you be able to point me to where I could figure out how to do that? There does not appear to be any useful configuration options in Krfb to do that.
    There is only one DISPLAYMANAGER in use.

Also, if you use krfb, the display manager is actually irrelevant.
    krfb just shares the current session via VNC (without going through the displaymanager).

Quote Originally Posted by WeeHughie View Post
    Now, on the remote client, one of the open applications on the Desktop server can be seen. Clicking on any of the other open applications in the taskbar opens that app's window on the Desktop server, but cannot be seen on the remote client.
    Have you tried to disable desktop effects/compositing on the server?
    Direct (hardware accelerated) OpenGL rendering obviously will not work via VNC and may cause problems if in use... And this really sounds like an OpenGL/desktop effects issue.

Alternatively, as you switched to KDM, you could just as well try to use VNC via the display manager, i.e. turn on "Remote Administration" in YaST and connect to port 5901. You should get a login screen on the client then where you can login to a remote session (note that the same user should not be logged in on the server locally, otherwise Plasma will fail to start as it cannot run twice for the same user at the same time).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast