Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulse Secure VPN on openSUSE

Default Pulse Secure VPN on openSUSE

Hi.

I'm trying to get Pulse Secure VPN working on my openSUSE Leap 42.1 install. Pulse Secure normally supports RedHat, CentOS and Ubuntu. When I execute the startup script, /usr/local/pulse/PulseClient.sh <parms>, the script wants to install these dependencies:

yum install glibc.i686 nss.i686 zlib.i686 (That's what the startup script spits out on the commandline. I'm not trying to use yum on openSUSE!)

My understanding is glibc.i686 is the same as glibc-32bit, but the script doesn't recognize its already installed location? How do I redirect the dependency? Or do I need to update the startup script for openSUSE?

For the other dependencies,

nss.i686 is the same as nss-mdns-32bit?
    zlib.i686 is the same as ghc-zlib or jzlib?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pulse Secure VPN on openSUSE

First,
    You should post the guide you're following.
    A quick search returns numerous hits of articles about various organizations and companies releasing customized versions, so you need to know if there are any special requirements.

With a bit of amusement,
    I see that Pulsesecure has updated much of their VPN install documentation as of last year but the content shows is only up to Windows 8.1 (not even 10). And, all the Linux distro documentation is old, very old with SUSE/openSUSE possibly the oldest (v 12.1). Wow, is that really old.

That said, assuming that their documentation will work, I recommend most of your effort should be based on this when downloading the official install

Option: Install from Pulseconnect

https://kb.pulsesecure.net/articles/...rticle/KB25230
    which was last modified in 2010 (!).

The article suggests you need
    - 32-bit Java. Nowadays, openjdk and if necessary
    A quick search indicates openjdk 1.8 packages are available only from private repos. The alternative is to install Oracle Java SE.
    http://software.opensuse.org/package/java-1_8_0-openjdk

Beyond that, it gets a bit complicated...

The packages you list may be old package names that have since been changed. It's unknown whether your script is looking for simply package names or the commands themselves, and if the command specifies a version..
    You can search on the root of the packagename and you'll probably find that many will be already installed on your system, but without knowing the exact utility the install script is calling you can't know exactly how to fulfill the requirement.

So, for instance once any package installed, you can run the following to list the package contents to see if the application's needs should be fulfilled
    Code:
    rpm -ql packagename 
    If any of those packages your script wants installed exist, you can either use yum (yes, it's there and works but is not recommended) or simply subsitute "zypper" for the yum command, eg
    Code:
    zypper in package1 package2 package3

Option: Install a package from somewhere else

As I noted in the beginning,
    You might have better luck running a more up to date package from a 3rd party rather from Pulse themselves.
    But, of course beware the dangers of using software from non-official sources...
    So,
    For instance, here is one from Isreal Institute of Technology
    https://cis.technion.ac.il/en/centra...uniper-ubuntu/

And, here is one from the University of New Hampshire.
    https://cis.technion.ac.il/en/centra...uniper-ubuntu/

Note that both the above <might> support 64-bit which would mean seamless and minimal issues installing on openSUSE (follow the RHEL/Fedora instructions for both).

You can also search through Github for Pulse Connect install scripts, a lot of time people create a script for some specific need and post (I do the same).

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Thanks for the quick reply and research...

These are the two pages I initially looked at: (the second one, you also referenced)

https://kb.pulsesecure.net/articles/...rticle/KB40126
    https://kb.pulsesecure.net/articles/...rticle/KB25230

IT grabbed for me, this package, which is the latest on Pulse Secure's site: (In order to download, the serial number of the product purchased must be supplied, which is why IT did it.)

pulse-8.2R5.1.i386.rpm

I installed the package via zypper.

I tried executing the shell script using this format, which is in the docs:

/usr/local/pulse/PulseClient.sh -h <PCS appliance IP/hostname> -u <vpn username> -p <vpn password -U <PCS SIGNINURL> -r <Realm>

Example: /usr/local/pulse/.PulseClient.sh -h secure.company.com -u user01 -p password01 -U https://secure.company.com/linux -r "Realm Name"

Of course, I substituted with the correct parameters for the VPN I'm trying to connect to.

The startup script PulseClient.sh wanted to install:

glibc.i686, nss.i686 and zlib.i686

These aren't openSUSE names for the packages, so I'm at a loss as to which packages I need to install to satisfy the requirements. However, I do have 32-bit and 64-bit versions of glibc and nss installed. I'm unclear about which zlib it's referring to.

It was recommended that instead of using the commandline, I should launch the GUI instead, which I can from the "Start" menu. It doesn't launch though, probably because of the dependent libraries not being in the correct place as in RedHat, CentOS, or Ubuntu?

The first problem I would like to solve right now is, which zlib do I need to install?

The second problem is how to point the client program to use the openSUSE location of the libraries.

I think after that, I should be able to launch via GUI and start things up.

686 is 32 bit In openSUSE the package name will have 32bit in it. So in Yast search for the root name ie name without .686 and see what you find.

Blog Entries

To answer your question about how to resolve the dependency issue, the install script has to be inspected.

I don't think it should be a violation of your license to post the script somewhere, but if you want to be relatively safe you can post to a pastebin and set an expiration of a few days (long enough for readers to view). Or, if you paid for support maybe Pulsesecure would be willing to work with you and then update their documentation accordingly... Because in this case I suspect that there should not be much if any difference between the instructions for installing on Fedora or RHEL vs openSUSE (They have an opportunity to fix any possible Fedora or RHEL errors as well).

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Hi,

Someone here might be able to help you with the package dependencies but if no one can, then my advice is to create a ticket and send it to the tech support team. In my experience so far only AirVPN has a decent and usable gui client called eddie that works cross platform, e.g. Windows, Mac and Linux and it works both on .rpm and .deb based distros, and it has some bells and whistles that you might or might not need, but I havent tried ALL vpn clients nor all .rpm and .deb based distros so don't take my word for it

Of course there is always the command line client and the network manager way but hey some folks just like to point and click.
    Good luck.
    "Unfortunately time is always against us" -- [Morpheus]

.:https://github.com/Jetchisel:.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    686 is 32 bit In openSUSE the package name will have 32bit in it. So in Yast search for the root name ie name without .686 and see what you find.
    Yes, I figured that out from searching references on i686. I have 32-bit versions of glibc and nss already installed. For zlib, there are quite a few options, from a compression library to a GUI library. Which is the common zlib on RedHat, CentOS or Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    To answer your question about how to resolve the dependency issue, the install script has to be inspected.

I don't think it should be a violation of your license to post the script somewhere, but if you want to be relatively safe you can post to a pastebin and set an expiration of a few days (long enough for readers to view). Or, if you paid for support maybe Pulsesecure would be willing to work with you and then update their documentation accordingly... Because in this case I suspect that there should not be much if any difference between the instructions for installing on Fedora or RHEL vs openSUSE (They have an opportunity to fix any possible Fedora or RHEL errors as well).

TSU
    Unfortunately my workplace only officially supports Windows and MacOS with Pulse Secure VPN. I'm allowed to use GNU/Linux, but I'm on my own as far as getting it to work. I don't have any direct contact with Pulse Secure.

Quote Originally Posted by jetchisel View Post
    Hi,

Someone here might be able to help you with the package dependencies but if no one can, then my advice is to create a ticket and send it to the tech support team. In my experience so far only AirVPN has a decent and usable gui client called eddie that works cross platform, e.g. Windows, Mac and Linux and it works both on .rpm and .deb based distros, and it has some bells and whistles that you might or might not need, but I havent tried ALL vpn clients nor all .rpm and .deb based distros so don't take my word for it

Of course there is always the command line client and the network manager way but hey some folks just like to point and click.
    Good luck.
    Pulse Secure VPN was selected by my workplace and they, my workplace, only supports Windows and MacOS.

Blog Entries

You won't be able to get any real help unless you can post the script for inspection.
    You can change parts of the script beforehand if it contains any sensitive information, but if it's a very generic script which doesn't contain the remote server address and encryption keys, then it's probably safe to post.

Primary things that should be identified as possible causes for errors which you can also try to find on your own...
    - Fixed paths instead of relative paths
    - Testing for package names instead of commands
    - Testing for specific OS, not including current openSUSE

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast