Strange problem with /etc/sysconfig editor + kdb

Hi colleagues,
I’ve just installed 42.2 on my brand new ssd, and now I’m trying to set NumLock to auto-ON on boot.
In the past I’ve used the sysconfig editor (in YAST) to set KDB_NUMLOCK to YES, but now I get an error that says that KDB service doesn’t exist.

Any help please? Thank you so much rotfl!

When and where do you get that error?

It is not very clear. On editiig using YaST? When you type YES in the box? After you close the editing window?

And in which section is KDB_NUMLOCK? You know it. Most of us have to search for it in the menu at left.

I have that problem as well when I tried to configure /etc/systemd in YaST. I switched the value of Hardware→Keyboard→KBD_NUMLOCK from “bios” to “yes”, trying to let system switch on keyboard numlock on startup. But I got error like this: “Cannot get service status–Systemd module doesn’t exist: kbd” and Numlock is still turned off upon startup.

Yes, confirmed on this Leap 42.2 system.

@Luca91:
Please raise a Bug Report with respect to this issue.
[HR][/HR]Please note that, even though YaST complains, the value in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard does change, and will be used at the next reboot. The following examples indicate the KBD_NUMLOCK value after being changed with the YaST /etc/sysconfig Editor from “no” to “bios” and then back to “no”.

> pwd
/etc/sysconfig
 > 
 > grep -id 'skip' 'NUMLO' *
keyboard:# NumLock on? ("yes" or "no" or empty or "bios" for BIOS setting)
keyboard:# This setting may interfere with GNOME /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/remember_numlock_state GConf key.
keyboard:KBD_NUMLOCK="bios"
 > 
 > grep -id 'skip' 'NUMLO' *
keyboard:# NumLock on? ("yes" or "no" or empty or "bios" for BIOS setting)
keyboard:# This setting may interfere with GNOME /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/remember_numlock_state GConf key.
keyboard:KBD_NUMLOCK="no"
 > 

In addition the relevant lines in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard are:

## Type:        list(bios,yes,no)
## Default:     bios
#
# NumLock on? ("yes" or "no" or empty or "bios" for BIOS setting)
# This setting may interfere with GNOME /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/remember_numlock_state GConf key.
KBD_NUMLOCK="no"

I’ve searched for the systemd kbd.service and noticed that, on this Leap 42.2 system it doesn’t exist.
On an openSUSE 13.2 system the following should be noted:

# systemctl list-unit-files | grep -i 'kbd.service'
kbd.service                             masked  
 # 

Conclusion, the systemd kbd.service has been removed and, the YaST folks have not yet updated the /etc/sysconfig Editor module to reflect this change.

If this has not been reported on bugzilla please do

Bug 1014629 “YaST2 /etc/sysconfig Editor: KBD_NUMLOCK expects the systemd module kbd.service” has been raised to address this issue.

Sorry, I was away from my computer today.
Thank you @dcurtisfra for reporting this bug!
Hopefully it will be fixed soon :good:

I’m also not continually connected to a screen and keyboard. :wink: