Thread: windows 95 patch file, linux method to extract data

Default windows 95 patch file, linux method to extract data

I have a gog game and a needs a win95.exe patch. I can't find a windows method to extract the data. Is there a Linux utility to extract the data? I had the patch file then lost it. I found it again(2003 and 1997, one should be the correct one).

I also might want to run a windows 7 virtual machine on linux to play the game. Wine usually doesn't run very many games without problems.

Blog Entries

Default Re: windows 95 patch file, linux method to extract data

Hi
    Use cabextract, or in Gnome DE, I just right-click -> extract here... then copy to a USB device for transfer to windows...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

> cabextract antar110.exe
    antar110.exe: no valid cabinets found

All done, errors in processing 1 file(s)
    > cabextract BetrayalInAntar110.exe
    BetrayalInAntar110.exe: no valid cabinets found

l>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lord_valarian View Post
    > cabextract antar110.exe
    antar110.exe: no valid cabinets found

> cabextract BetrayalInAntar110.exe
    BetrayalInAntar110.exe: no valid cabinets found

l>
    cabextract is used to extract/uncompress files with a ".cab" file extension, not EXE files.
    To extract executables (files with a .exe extension) you need a decompiler. Visual Studio might do that for you (On a Windows machine, download and install the free community version of Visual Studio, you will also need to install C support or whatever language was used to build the EXE in the first place).

Note that EXE files can be built a number of different ways including in Visual Studio but also 3rd party compilers and from the command line. You generally need a matched decompiler that matches the original compiler used.

Patches are distributed in both CAB and EXE formats, the former generally for applications to invoke and the latter generally for the End User. But, both are executable, eg you can double-click on them to run.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    cabextract is used to extract/uncompress files with a ".cab" file extension, not EXE files.
    To extract executables (files with a .exe extension) you need a decompiler. Visual Studio might do that for you (On a Windows machine, download and install the free community version of Visual Studio, you will also need to install C support or whatever language was used to build the EXE in the first place).

Note that EXE files can be built a number of different ways including in Visual Studio but also 3rd party compilers and from the command line. You generally need a matched decompiler that matches the original compiler used.

Patches are distributed in both CAB and EXE formats, the former generally for applications to invoke and the latter generally for the End User. But, both are executable, eg you can double-click on them to run.

TSU
    Windows 95 game: betrayal at antara + antara110.exe patch works.

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Games/Kron...ntaraHelp.html

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Up....html#ANTAR110

On source forge, I found a large number of apps to extract the data or decompile them. The later I can't make sense of.

resourcextract.exe doesn't do anything.

Visual Studio '95 version?