Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: changing kickoff icon in Leap 42.2

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Managua
    Posts
    398

    Default changing kickoff icon in Leap 42.2

    There are differences between changing the kickoff icon in Leap 42.1 and Leap 42.2



    In this Leap 42.1 image you can see that you have the option to choose an icon from a list, and the option to select a file too.





    In this Leap 42.2 screenshot you can see that there is only the option to select a file to change the Kickoff icon, the icons list from leap 42.1 is gone, as a suggestion I think it was better to have the icon list as before.

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: changing kickoff icon in Leap 42.2

    You are right, but it's a KDE thing rather than openSUSE, might be worth letting your feelings known on the KDE forum.

    FYI icons are stored in: /usr/share/icons/ so you look through those and select what you want, use Dolphin to get the exact path for the one you want.
    .
    ✶ PC: P55 - i5 760 ✶ W7 / Leap 42.1 Dual Boot ✶/ (ext4). /home (ext4) ✶ KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo - Plasma 5.8.x Qt 5.7 ✶

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: changing kickoff icon in Leap 42.2

    Quote Originally Posted by david_banner View Post
    might be worth letting your feelings known on the KDE forum.
    No offence meant to you, David, for making what should be a logical suggestion, in other development communities. However ...

    I won't explain why, if you are not already aware, but I find this to be an absolutely hilarious suggestion.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,580
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: changing kickoff icon in Leap 42.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    No offence meant to you, David, for making what should be a logical suggestion, in other development communities. However ...

    I won't explain why, if you are not already aware, but I find this to be an absolutely hilarious suggestion.
    '
    I don't find this too hilarious. It is a KDE developpers issue. But your unexplained why suggest a sad reason.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  5. #5

    Default Re: changing kickoff icon in Leap 42.2

    Actually there are no changes at all in this regard between 42.1 and 42.2.

    Kickoff does still have the same configuration dialog and does open the icon selection dialog.
    Kicker (the "application *menu*") that openSUSE uses by default, does not however, but that was already the case in 42.1 as well.

    If you want to switch to Kickoff (the "application *launcher*), right-click on the icon in the panel and choose "Alternatives", or just add a new one.

  6. #6

    Default Re: changing kickoff icon in Leap 42.2

    Kicker in Plasma 5.4, when you selected; (right click kicker) "Application Menu Settings" dialogue box - had that large icon button in front of you, as in the first screenshot. You could just click it and it brought up the "Select Icon - KDE Menu Editor" selector you see in the (right click) 'Edit Applications' dialogue currently. It was convenient to scroll through a visual list rather than going hunting them down.

    If I remember right it happened around 5.8 release time. So it would have been Kicker devs who took the button option out to what you get now, second screenshot.
    .
    ✶ PC: P55 - i5 760 ✶ W7 / Leap 42.1 Dual Boot ✶/ (ext4). /home (ext4) ✶ KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo - Plasma 5.8.x Qt 5.7 ✶

  7. #7

    Default Re: changing kickoff icon in Leap 42.2

    Quote Originally Posted by david_banner View Post
    Kicker in Plasma 5.4, when you selected; (right click kicker) "Application Menu Settings" dialogue box - had that large icon button in front of you, as in the first screenshot. You could just click it and it brought up the "Select Icon - KDE Menu Editor" selector you see in the (right click) 'Edit Applications' dialogue currently. It was convenient to scroll through a visual list rather than going hunting them down.

    If I remember right it happened around 5.8 release time. So it would have been Kicker devs who took the button option out to what you get now, second screenshot.
    No, you are wrong.
    And here's a screenshot from a 42.1 VM as proof:



    Again, kickoff (the application *launcher* that was already part of KDE4 and even openSUSE's KDE3) did have that large icon button (that opens the icon selection dialog) from the screenshot in the first post, and it still has it in Plasma 5.8 and Leap 42.2.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 08-Dec-2016 at 11:36.

  8. #8

    Default Re: changing kickoff icon in Leap 42.2



    The button above is no longer there - it was, as you can see by the OP screenshot. It was useful because it brought the icon selector dialogue straight up and you could select an icon directly. Very useful. It is no longer there. I thought that change happened around 5.8, but whatever, it's no longer there and I agree with the OP, it should be.
    .
    ✶ PC: P55 - i5 760 ✶ W7 / Leap 42.1 Dual Boot ✶/ (ext4). /home (ext4) ✶ KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo - Plasma 5.8.x Qt 5.7 ✶

  9. #9

    Default Re: changing kickoff icon in Leap 42.2

    Quote Originally Posted by david_banner View Post

    The button above is no longer there - it was, as you can see by the OP screenshot. It was useful because it brought the icon selector dialogue straight up and you could select an icon directly. Very useful. It is no longer there.
    I can only repeat: it is still there in kickoff. And the OP's first screenshot does seem to show kickoff's conguration dialog, kicker's has more options and looks like the OP's second screenshot.
    kicker does have a normal file select button (which opens a file select dialog), and already had in 42.1 as you can see in *my* screenshot.
    (btw, note that the text label says "Use own image", not "icon"...)

    kickoff is used by default upstream, openSUSE decided to use the new (in Plasma5) kicker by default, but that was done before 42.1, with Plasma 5.0 already.

    It's easy to switch to kickoff though if you prefer that, as I already wrote (right-click on the icon in the panel and choose "Alternatives"). And then the settings dialog will have that icon button.

    I thought that change happened around 5.8, but whatever, it's no longer there and I agree with the OP, it should be.
    Well, then you should file a bug report at http://bugs.kde.org/ or open a thread in KDE's forums at http://forum.kde.org/ (in "Visual Design Group" I suppose) as already has been suggested.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 08-Dec-2016 at 13:27.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Post Re: changing kickoff icon in Leap 42.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    '
    I don't find this too hilarious. It is a KDE developpers issue. But your unexplained why suggest a sad reason.
    too loose, you are right, I was referring to KDE developers. Definitely not to the openSUSE developers (and QT)! Seems to me our developers have been working hard trying to solve a lot of the problems the upstream developers seem to ignore, IMHO.

    ... after all, he did say:
    might be worth letting your feelings known on the KDE forum.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •