Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What is your daily dose of KDE crashes?

Default Re: What is your daily dose of KDE crashes?

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    Link, please?
    I've sent the appropriate KDE Bugzilla "reported by" search string to brunomcl in a private message -- I like to keep such things confined to a small, select, group of openSUSE Forum people -- if you're part of the KDE Bug Reporting community, then of course you can possibly, quite quickly, find me.

Alternatively, you can attend the openSUSE annual conference and, with a little bit of luck, talk face-to-face with me.

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    I've sent the appropriate KDE Bugzilla "reported by" search string to brunomcl in a private message -- I like to keep such things confined to a small, select, group of openSUSE Forum people -- if you're part of the KDE Bug Reporting community, then of course you can possibly, quite quickly, find me.
    No need, thanks, I'm not all that select, anyway . Google did the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Alternatively, you can attend the openSUSE annual conference and, with a little bit of luck, talk face-to-face with me.
    Sure! I'll be the one with the "Still Waiting for a Link" sign!

When I used KDE Plasma with TW, I didn't get any regular crashes. Maybe once in a month or so. If I would get regular crashes on any DE (but not with others), I would change it to something else. My HW: Dell latitude E5420, 8gb, Intel Core i5-2520M, intel 2nd gen graphics.

Unhappy The plasmashell bug is going to outlive its creators

Most of the crashes are gone, but the plasmashell devil is active and well. Here is what I see.

In several computers with different graphics cards (nvidia, Intel, AMD) and different drivers, when the computer is left untouched for days, the plasmashell's usage of CPU increases up to almost 100% of one or more CPUs. There are no moving wizards on the desktops. With rotating icons and similar, the plasmashell devil pops up very quickly.

Users who don't know this complain about slowdown (slow response to keyboard and mouse clicks).

This makes opensuse computers far worse than Windows 10, essentially turning them into unpleasant items that infrequent users want to avoid.

But this gives us reasons to get excited about KDE in 2018.

Default Re: The plasmashell bug is going to outlive its creators

Quote Originally Posted by ZStefan View Post
    Most of the crashes are gone, but the plasmashell devil is active and well. Here is what I see.

In several computers with different graphics cards (nvidia, Intel, AMD) and different drivers, when the computer is left untouched for days, the plasmashell's usage of CPU increases up to almost 100% of one or more CPUs. There are no moving wizards on the desktops. With rotating icons and similar, the plasmashell devil pops up very quickly.

Users who don't know this complain about slowdown (slow response to keyboard and mouse clicks).

This makes opensuse computers far worse than Windows 10, essentially turning them into unpleasant items that infrequent users want to avoid.

But this gives us reasons to get excited about KDE in 2018.
    Or switch to one of the other desktops if affected by the problems. There are so many to choose from and all of the ones I've tried work well for me (Xfce, GNOME, LXDE).
    Best regards,
    Greg

Unhappy No end of KDE crashes, but they are not severe

In 2019, with opensuse 15.1, there are still crashes when using KDE (or Plasma).

I see them in different computers, mostly in these usage scenarios:

- New or recent installation (first update done).

- Opening and closing applications.

- Clicking menu items, which should show a submenu.

- Using KDE in a fully loaded computer.

I would say, when the computer is intensely used, rate of crashes is 0.5 per day.

But the crashes are not deadly and the OS does not crash. The application usually crashes.

Blog Entries

Default Re: No end of KDE crashes, but they are not severe

Quote Originally Posted by ZStefan View Post
    I would say, when the computer is intensely used, rate of crashes is 0.5 per day.

But the crashes are not deadly and the OS does not crash. The application usually crashes.
    I'm not seeing any of that here -- except:

In one KVM virtual machine (used for testing), I sometimes have to login multiple times to get a Plasma session. I login. I see the spinning progress indicator. Then it stops spinning. Then I see the GDM login screen again. The second login try usually works, though once I had to go to the third try.

No problems at all on my normal desktop (with real hardware).

My guess would be that your problems are related to graphics hardware -- that seems to be where I see people having problems.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    My guess would be that your problems are related to graphics hardware -- that seems to be where I see people having problems.
    That's where I'd be focussing my attention as well. I haven't experienced such problems in years, but I'm using Intel graphics on real hardware and in a VM (hosted on a Windows 10 work laptop I use as a network engineer).
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Mha by heart I don't remember a kde crash, I have Thumbleweed on two computers, one with Plasma and one with Gnome all OK
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ------------------------------------

With Leap 15.0, I've only noticed “unusual behaviour” when unnoticed by the user, an automatic update runs and, the patches have affected running KDE Plasma sessions.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast