Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What is your daily dose of KDE crashes?

Default Re: What is your daily dose of KDE crashes?

Quote Originally Posted by 9924726 View Post
    Yes you're right cnzhx. Tumbleweed is way way way more stable. I can't crash kde by in any way.
    I am glad to hear that you found a suitable version but I am afraid that others may not agree with us. And I am not saying that Tumbleweed is more stable than Leap because Leap is based on a recent release of Tumbleweed. But I am not a deep user who can tell what's happening with your circumstance.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed (usually the latest snapshot) w/ KDE Plasma 5

Lightbulb The meaning of 'K' in KDE.

After so many crashes in Plasma, libQtsomething, Kwin etc., I finally understood, after so many years, what the first letter in KDE stands for. Actually, two possibilities:

KDE = Krash Desktop Environment
    KDE = Kids' Desktop Environment

Default Re: The meaning of 'K' in KDE.

Quote Originally Posted by ZStefan View Post
    After so many crashes in Plasma, libQtsomething, Kwin etc., I finally understood, after so many years, what the first letter in KDE stands for. Actually, two possibilities:

KDE = Krash Desktop Environment
    KDE = Kids' Desktop Environment
    If your experience with it is so bad why not switch then ? there are so many desktop environments to choose from nowadays and all of the ones I tried are quite decent. I'm currently running on XFCE (also was a fan of KDE in the past).
    Best regards,
    Greg

Default Much better with Leap 42.3

With Leap 42.3, I encounter about 1 crash per day when using the KDE intensely, and 0.2 crashes per day when using for a short time doing simple things.

Default Re: Much better with Leap 42.3

With Leap 42.3, I encounter about 1 crash per day when using the KDE intensely, and 0.2 crashes per day when using for a short time doing simple things.
    Wow, that's a lot! I haven't seen KDE crash for more than a year or two, but then I'm still using oS 13.2 on my main desktop (others run oS 42.1 & 42.2, no issues there too). I do remember that there were many desktop restarts at the beginning, but soon (with incoming updates) it tapered out, so my experience is that KDE is rock-solid.

What was your experience with other DE's? Also bad, I suppose, or you'd have changed it already - I know I would. In that case it might be something related to your hardware, like an unstable video driver or such, still not optimized to your hardware. What do you think?

Default Re: Much better with Leap 42.3

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    I haven't seen KDE crash for more than a year or two
    Correction: Kwin does crash sometimes after heavy kpatience sessions (i.e., many consecutive games). But it is not often, recovery is automatic and it's not disruptive enough for me to pursue a fix (it's not a memory leak, nor related to compositing AFAICT).

42.1 was the first release to feature Plasma 5. It was also the first version of Leap, and a god awful start i might add for KDE users. Claiming to be a stable distro while shipping such a flaking piece of software was a pretty stupid thing to do if the devs were trying to get hype at the new structure OpenSUSE was adopting. I continued to pull Plasma 4 in from the 13.2 repo because i wasn't happy. Eventually i shifted to Mate with Xmonad. Came back to KDE about six months back. OpenSUSE and Plasma5 have been running great for me ever since. A couple of graphical glitches with autohide panels but that's very minor. I can't remember the last time my system crashed. Was probably a month back. OpenSUSE 42.2 and 42.3 are good releases as far as Plasma goes. I'm a happy user.

I am curious to learn how often do the kwin_x11 and similar crash in your computer, assuming you work daily, and update regularly.
    Feel free to inspect the KDE Bugzilla for the segmentation fault Bug Reports DrKonqui posted for me there.

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Feel free to inspect the KDE Bugzilla for the segmentation fault Bug Reports DrKonqui posted for me there.
    Link, please? But I'm still curious about ZStefan experience with other DEs in terms of stability, as I wrote above.

TBH, I think most issues happen the first few weeks after a new distro version is released; after a few updates (say, a month or two) things get (boringly) stable. So are these reports from a still recent release or an old (3+ months) one?

What is your daily dose of KDE crashes?
    Daily? Zero.

Weekly? Zero.

Random & very infrequent?
    1. Yes, sometimes [interval maybe monthly+] a KWin crash that [with only a single exception since i began using oS TW in May this year] is benign (ie, nothing seems to be affected afterwards). The one big exception (some weeks ago) came out of the blue & mimicked the common KWin crash mode that plagued all other Plasma5 distros i'd used before coming to oS TW, viz: ALL my open windows in my main Activity were afterwards also present in my second Activity, & several windows from my multiple VDs per Activity concatenated onto a single VD. The other symptom of that failure mode is that it breaks my top RHS screen hot-corner "Desktop Grid" function (til the next logout/in). TW has never done that to me before or since, whereas all prior P5 distros did it to me probably daily or so, certainly not less often than weekly.
    2. Another once-off failure mode occurred 3 days ago, & this one did shock me. With no warning my desktop [& keyboard & mouse] froze. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace & even Magic Key with REISUB were unresponsive. Whilst i stared at my screen in confused disbelief, & desperately tried to recall what document edits had been active without me getting to Save, the screen suddenly blanked & then Tower rebooted itself. Once more, TW has never done this again before or since... & i hope it'll be a looooooooooong time before the next instance.

Summary: Aside from those two notable exceptions, my oS TW KDE P5 experience wrt stability & reliability has been simply superb, vastly better than all other P5 distros i have used.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast