Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: No Grub boot menu after monitor upgrade

  1. #1

    Default No Grub boot menu after monitor upgrade

    Very strange. After a monitor upgrade (Dell UP2516D) my system (SuSE 42.1) boots to the logon screen, however the screen is completely blank until then. I get no GRUB menu when my system starts. I'm guessing there is something in the YaST2 Boot loader Kernel Parameters I have to change. As it is, my settings are: VGA Mode: Unspecified, Optional Kernel Command Line Parm: resume=/dev/sda1 splash=silent quiet showopts, Use graphical console: checked, Console Resolution: Autodetect by grub 2, Console theme: /boot/grub2/themes/openSUSE/theme.txt. My monitor will do 2560 X 1440. After I login all is fine however I get no grub boot loader menu and my monitor complains with a "no signal" error message untill the logon screen appears?????????????????????????

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,703

    Default Re: No Grub boot menu after monitor upgrade

    You get no BIOS splash screen???Grub gets its info from the BIOS so I'd start there

  3. #3

    Default Re: No Grub boot menu after monitor upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    You get no BIOS splash screen???Grub gets its info from the BIOS so I'd start there
    I have a bios splash screen just no Grub boot menu. When I turn on the system: Bios splash screen - YES, Grub menu -NO, Logon menu - YES. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. Just very perplexing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,703

    Default Re: No Grub boot menu after monitor upgrade

    Maybe set the res of the grub to a known good resolution for the monitor in Yast -bootloader. VGA does have limited resolutions a definite does not use the full res the monitor can use. But maybe you can find one that works

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,030

    Default Re: No Grub boot menu after monitor upgrade

    Are you using grub legacy or grub2?
    If you are using grub2 - try disabling graphic mode in grub. Set GRUB_TERMINAL=console in /etc/default/grub and run "update-bootlader --refresh". Do you get output from grub now?

  6. #6

    Default Re: No Grub boot menu after monitor upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Maybe set the res of the grub to a known good resolution for the monitor in Yast -bootloader. VGA does have limited resolutions a definite does not use the full res the monitor can use. But maybe you can find one that works
    Thanks, I now believe this to be a hardware issue. I was using a display port cable from my computer to my monitor and I switched it with a HDMI cable and now it works. This seems odd. I have recently moved and I believe the display port cable was functioning fine before the move. I don't know why it would exhibit this behavior but I've switched the cables back and forth and it is the cable. Tried the same DP cable and monitor with a windows system and all was fine. Not sure what the issue is, going to try a new DP cable with the linux comp. and see what happens.

  7. #7

    Default Re: No Grub boot menu after monitor upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Are you using grub legacy or grub2?
    If you are using grub2 - try disabling graphic mode in grub. Set GRUB_TERMINAL=console in /etc/default/grub and run "update-bootlader --refresh". Do you get output from grub now?
    Thanks. it seems to be a cable issue. May have a bad DP cable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •