Thread: Online Update without Root Privileges

Default Online Update without Root Privileges

Hi,
    I downloaded Leap 42.2 last week and just downloaded and installed an online update, after a window popping up from the task bar told me that online updates are available. I didn't have to log in as root, which scares me. How can I force the system to get root privileges before making changes to my installation?
    I use KDE 5.26.0.

I usually disable automatic updates, that's why I can't tell you whether Leap 42.1 behaved differently.

Thanks, Stephan

Default Re: Online Update without Root Privileges

It is the very reason why I do not install PackageManager and the applet.

But it is possibl to configure to your wish by doing something with PolicyKit. I have no doubt somebody will tell you how to do that.

BTW those installations are done with root privileges (something else would be impossible). But PolicyKit allows this without asking you for the root password.
    Last edited by hcvv; 27-Nov-2016 at 07:26.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    But PolicyKit allows this without asking you for the root password.
    Exactly and you do not have to worry about it.

You can of course disable automatic updates from Yast IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by tinylagarto View Post
    Exactly and you do not have to worry about it.
    Maybe you can leave that conclusion to the individual system administrator. I only do not worry about it because, as said, I do not install PackageKit and I also do not install the applet to avoid the end-user having an icon which is useless to him.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stephanhh View Post
    I usually disable automatic updates, that's why I can't tell you whether Leap 42.1 behaved differently.
    Yes, 42.1 behaved the same (before I turned off the update applet).

The root password is required to install new software, but not to update software that is already installed. I think this already happened in opensuse 13.1.

In any case, I find the update applet annoying. I would rather go by my own schedule for updating. So I turn it off (that's in system tray settings if you are using KDE, and just uncheck the box for updates).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Maybe you can leave that conclusion to the individual system administrator. I only do not worry about it because, as said, I do not install PackageKit and I also do not install the applet to avoid the end-user having an icon which is useless to him.
    It was meant as an answer to the OP. I was just quoting your statement.

People from other distros might wonder because there you are usually asked to put their password when updating their system, even on something that "user friendly" as Mint.

Quote Originally Posted by tinylagarto View Post
    It was meant as an answer to the OP. I was just quoting your statement.
    Well, the OP worried (that is why he asked here) and I am with him. Saying that he should not worry is denying that he may have valid concerns about this policy.

Allowing the end-user to do updates at his/her own whim might be something you do not worry about, but others may see that not only as unwanted and dangerous, but even as something that does not belong to the end-users role in the system.

And of course when people switch off automatic updates because they think updates should be done at certain predefined moments/situations, will probably also want to switch off end-users doing updates because then they also happen at unwanted moments/situation.
    Henk van Velden

Thanks for the many responses.
    I'm the only one using this computer, but I don't like the idea that a program can make changes to the system without asking for the root password.
    How can I disable the online update? I just found a dialog where I can select "daily", "weekly", or "monthly", but there is no "never" option. Someone mentioned IIRC, someone else mentioned "System tray". I'm not familiar with either one.

On Leap 42.1, I disabled all repositories. I hope there is a more elegant solution.

Thanks again, Stephan

II deinstalled the applet software package. Earlier ir was named apper, but I have a note giving the name (for Leap 42.1?) as plasm5-pk-updates.

I also always deinstall Packagekit. I am an openSUSE user and thus use YaST and/or zypper.
    Henk van Velden