Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: DVD upgrade 42.1 -> 42.2 with online repos enabled hung at downloading package.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,674

    Default DVD upgrade 42.1 -> 42.2 with online repos enabled hung at downloading package.

    After successfully upgrading Leap 42.2RC1 to 42.2 release via DVD + online repos, I tried upgrading my main 42.1 install the same way but the process hung at "Downloading libsoftokn3-32bit" (not sure which version, but likely the updated version in the OSS-Update repo which was enabled).
    This was with the Packman-Essentials, Bumblebee3 and Bumblebee-Project-Nvidia repos enabled too.
    Apparently Yast2-base was stuck, since "top" in a VT console still showed the install system up and running.
    I eventually had to kill Yast2-base, abort the installation and reboot the install USB image.
    Luckily the system was not that much impaired and I had a second chance at the "Upgrade" option.
    This time I stayed on the safe side, enabling only the OpenSUSE repos and disabling Packman and Bumblebee.
    This time the upgrade completed without issues, once a few dependency issues were manually settled.
    After reboot I enabled Packman, Bumblebee3 and Bumblebee-Nvidia, switched packages to those repos and now I'm happily writing from the upgraded 42.2 system.

    This is not strictly a request for help, but IMHO understanding what possibly happened may help others facing similar issues.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,729
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: DVD upgrade 42.1 -> 42.2 with online repos enabled hung at downloading package.

    I upgraded a 42.1 > 42.2 by adding the 42.2. .iso to the sources
    And removing all 42.1 sources and adding 42.2 updates
    Then dist upgrade it
    All went well
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,492
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: DVD upgrade 42.1 -> 42.2 with online repos enabled hung at downloading package.

    Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    This is not strictly a request for help, but IMHO understanding what possibly happened may help others facing similar issues.
    It might have just been a network hang. These sometimes occur.

    I had one yesterday, when updating my Tumbleweed system. In this case "zypper" was downloading before installing, so no changes had been made other than downloading some packages.

    I used CTRL-C twice. (The first is ignored; on the second it says "okay, exiting now" or something similar). I then reran the command, and it continued downloading where it had left off.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,674

    Default Re: DVD upgrade 42.1 -> 42.2 with online repos enabled hung at downloading package.

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    It might have just been a network hang. These sometimes occur.

    I had one yesterday, when updating my Tumbleweed system. In this case "zypper" was downloading before installing, so no changes had been made other than downloading some packages.

    I used CTRL-C twice. (The first is ignored; on the second it says "okay, exiting now" or something similar). I then reran the command, and it continued downloading where it had left off.
    Maybe, unfortunately the default DVD upgrade is of the "download-and-install" kind; I was lucky enough that this happened early enough in the upgrade process.
    Looking further to the zypper history I found the following:
    - the last successfully installed package before Yast hung was mozilla-nss-32bit
    - that likely triggered download of libsoftokn3-32bit, where Yast was stuck at 100% CPU;

    on the second attempt though libsoftokn3-32bit was NOT installed.
    Only after I rebooted, switched packages to Packman & Bumblebee, AND uninstalled kernel 4.1.34 (a leftover of 42.1), libsoftokn3-32bit|3.26.2-32.1 was finally installed.

    So I wonder if a network hiccup is enough to send Yast on a 100% CPU spin or there was some conflict between the old 42.1 packages and some for 42.2.

    BTW both mozilla-nss-32bit and libsoftokn3-32bit were updated versions from the OSS-update repo, but this may be pure coincidence.
    I didn't see anything similar when testing the upgrade process during beta-testing (but we know that a few hundred packages show up just in the release media...).
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,492
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: DVD upgrade 42.1 -> 42.2 with online repos enabled hung at downloading package.

    Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    So I wonder if a network hiccup is enough to send Yast on a 100% CPU spin or there was some conflict between the old 42.1 packages and some for 42.2.
    No, it is unlikely that a network hang would result in 100% cpu usage.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: DVD upgrade 42.1 -> 42.2 with online repos enabled hung at downloading package.

    Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    After successfully upgrading Leap 42.2RC1 to 42.2 release via DVD + online repos, I tried upgrading my main 42.1 install the same way but the process hung at "Downloading libsoftokn3-32bit" (not sure which version, but likely the updated version in the OSS-Update repo which was enabled).
    This was with the Packman-Essentials, Bumblebee3 and Bumblebee-Project-Nvidia repos enabled too.
    Apparently Yast2-base was stuck, since "top" in a VT console still showed the install system up and running.
    I eventually had to kill Yast2-base, abort the installation and reboot the install USB image.
    Luckily the system was not that much impaired and I had a second chance at the "Upgrade" option.
    This time I stayed on the safe side, enabling only the OpenSUSE repos and disabling Packman and Bumblebee.
    This time the upgrade completed without issues, once a few dependency issues were manually settled.
    After reboot I enabled Packman, Bumblebee3 and Bumblebee-Nvidia, switched packages to those repos and now I'm happily writing from the upgraded 42.2 system.

    This is not strictly a request for help, but IMHO understanding what possibly happened may help others facing similar issues.
    Not a surprise, to me. I always recommend *not* running updates while installing from the DVD (the only method I have used to date) for those very reasons. But, if it is necessary to do so, I then recommend only have the base repos enabled.

    I find it best to complete the install, then once up in the system, run the updates.

    I have seen lockups like that, or other problems, when running the updates during install, on various versions going back at least as far a v11, maybe farther back.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,674

    Default Re: DVD upgrade 42.1 -> 42.2 with online repos enabled hung at downloading package.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Not a surprise, to me. I always recommend *not* running updates while installing from the DVD (the only method I have used to date) for those very reasons. But, if it is necessary to do so, I then recommend only have the base repos enabled.

    I find it best to complete the install, then once up in the system, run the updates.
    Thanks Gerry, I also did that with past versions, but 42.2 seemed so solid to me that I dared to go all the way in one Leap (pun intended) and failed.
    Maybe the fact that this system has an "Optimus" architecture (Intel+Nvidia graphics) added to the mess, since incompatible versions of bbswitch, bumblebee and possibly dkms exist in the OSS, Bumblebee3 and Packman repos; in my case the installer apparently hung before those repos were actually engaged though.

    So the best advice to those reading this thread and running the DVD upgrade seems indeed:
    1) run the DVD upgrade offline;
    2) reboot;
    3) add the needed online repositories and switch packages to those repos as needed;
    4) run the online update.

    Or, do a "zypper dup" or net install, but possibly disable proprietary repos (like Packman, Bumblebee, Nvidia to name those most likely needed) before actually running the upgrade.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: DVD upgrade 42.1 -> 42.2 with online repos enabled hung at downloading package.

    Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    Thanks Gerry, I also did that with past versions, but 42.2 seemed so solid to me that I dared to go all the way in one Leap (pun intended) and failed.
    Maybe the fact that this system has an "Optimus" architecture (Intel+Nvidia graphics) added to the mess, since incompatible versions of bbswitch, bumblebee and possibly dkms exist in the OSS, Bumblebee3 and Packman repos; in my case the installer apparently hung before those repos were actually engaged though.

    So the best advice to those reading this thread and running the DVD upgrade seems indeed:
    1) run the DVD upgrade offline;
    2) reboot;
    3) add the needed online repositories and switch packages to those repos as needed;
    4) run the online update.

    Or, do a "zypper dup" or net install, but possibly disable proprietary repos (like Packman, Bumblebee, Nvidia to name those most likely needed) before actually running the upgrade.
    Agreed. I highly recommend what I highlighted in red, as well.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •