Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Openvas setup fails

Default Openvas setup fails

Hi, i am using opensuse 42.2 leap.
    recently i installed openvas, while installing openvas there was one error regarding one dependency libgcrypt.so.11()(64) not found. I installed libgcrypt11-1.5.4-2.12.1.i586.rpm manually hoping this should fix the issue. then installation process completed successfully.
    but while setup
    Code:
    openvas-setup
    getting error after some times and downloading few xml files:

Code:
    openvassd: no process found
    openvassd: error while loading shared libraries: libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    openvasmd: error while loading shared libraries: libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Job for openvas-scanner.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status openvas-scanner.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
    Job for openvas-manager.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status openvas-manager.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
    Failed to start openvas-administrator.service: Unit openvas-administrator.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
    /usr/sbin/openvas-setup: line 19: openvasad: command not found
    I understand this may be because libgcrypt.so.11 . but don't know how to fix this.
    please help me fix the problem.

Default Re: Openvas setup fails

Few pointers;

- Leap 42.2 is 64-bit distribution so binaries compiled for it natively would not use i586 (32-bit) libraries.
    - OpenVAS ships in the 42.2 repositories so the right way to install it would be;

sudo zypper in openvas-cli openvas-manager openvas-scanner
    sudo openvas-setup

After some lengthy and large downloads, browse to https://localhost:9392/ with your favourite browser.

It doesn't start on its own, use sudo systemctl start openvas-manager
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

Quote Originally Posted by grishi111 View Post
    Hi, i am using opensuse 42.2 leap.
    recently i installed openvas,
    I read until here. How did you install, from where?
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I read until here. How did you install, from where?
    I found the information in opensuse site itself
    Code:
    zypper addrepo http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/security:OpenVAS:UNSTABLE:v7/openSUSE_13.1/security:OpenVAS:UNSTABLE:v7.repo
    zypper refresh
    zypper install libopenvas
    installation was successful beside on warning.
    Few pointers;

- Leap 42.2 is 64-bit distribution so binaries compiled for it natively would not use i586 (32-bit) libraries.
    I installed 64 variant and setup proceeds. after downloading lots of packages(NVTs and others)
    it gives error:
    Code:
    You will have to copy them by hand.

All plugins loaded                                   
    Job for openvas-scanner.service failed because a timeout was exceeded. See "systemctl status openvas-scanner.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
    Job for openvas-manager.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status openvas-manager.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
    Failed to start openvas-administrator.service: Unit openvas-administrator.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
    I hope this help you to figure out problem and you will be able to help me further.

You installed a 13.1 version in 42.2?? Think that may be the problem. don\t you?????

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    You installed a 13.1 version in 42.2?? Think that may be the problem. don\t you?????
    Yes I realized.
    I completely removed all openvas and related packages in YaST. disabled 13.1 repo that i created. refreshed repo using zypper refresh.
    then
    Code:
    sudo zypper in openvas-cli openvas-manager openvas-scanner
    sudo openvas-setup
    but error seems same
    Code:
    All plugins loaded                                   
    Job for openvas-scanner.service failed because a timeout was exceeded. See "systemctl status openvas-scanner.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
    Failed to start greenbone-security-assistant.service: Unit greenbone-security-assistant.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
    reishi@linux-jcjy:~> sudo systemctl start openvas-manager
    root's password:
    am I missing something?

Blog Entries

Decided to spend a little time on this, but have to run before completing...
    First, it should be noted that although OpenVAS is in the main repository for openSUSE 42.2, it's old and unusable. Below will be instructions for installing a version of OpenVAS which should be new enough to work.

All of the following commands should be run in a root console...

PREPARATION:
    Because the OpenVAS from the openSUSE repos are not complete, I highly recommend downloading the following script, make it executable and you can run it any time to check your install for completeness and validity all the way up to where you have a working OpenVAS

https://svn.wald.intevation.org/svn/...as-check-setup

REMOVAL:
    Although your existing openvas <might> update with a "zypper up" I'd recommend removing it first with the following
    Code:
    zypper rm openvas*
    Then remove the repo you used to install your wrong version of openvas
    Code:
    zypper rr security_OpenVAS_UNSTABLE_v7
    INSTALLATION:
    Now, you can install openVAS.

Because the version of openVAS in the 42.2 OSS is old and won't work, install OpenVAS from this 42.1 security repo until a 42.2 repo is made available
    Code:
    zypper ar --gpg-auto-import-keys http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/security:/OpenVAS:/STABLE:/v8/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/ Security:_42.1
    If you'd like, you can list the available packages you can install
    Code:
    zypper se openvas
    From that list of openVAS packages, you can install any or all packages which aren't libraries, for example the following
    Code:
    zypper in --from Security:_42.1 openvas-cli openvas-manager openvas-scanner openvas-scanner-doc
    It looks like your next step should be to run the setup, which among other things will download and install the latest xml definition files from openvas.org, mitr.org and more, installing and updating plugins...This will take awhile since it looks like only one network connection is used...This step can take over an hour to complete...
    Small notes:
    - A setup configuration file likely exists somewhere which should be modified before running setup.
    If the setup parameters are not modified, the following default values are installed
    - A certificate/signature is created specifying the installed location is Berlin, Germany
    - Default username is "om"

Code:
    openvas-setup
    Now, if you run the openvas-check-setup, it will complain that redis server is not installed.
    So, you can install redis
    Code:
    zypper in redis
    And then configure it
    Code:
    cp /etc/redis/default.conf.example /etc/redis/default.conf
    Find the following line in /etc/redis/default.conf and remove the hash (#) at the beginning of the line to enable listening on the default Unix socket
    Code:
    # unixsocket /tmp/redis.sock
    Now, start redis in a console
    Code:
    redis-server /etc/redis/default.conf
    Now, run your openvas check script again and everything should check out and tell you what port your browser should open to (on my system, it's 6379)

But, it's taking a <very> long time for a page to render, I don't know if I should wait longer but I've got to go now...

Maybe someone can take this and run with the ball to complete a successfully running OpenVAS...

Good Luck,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Forgot to add at the very end,
    the last check I described will tell you how to add a User which is likely necessary.

You may need to install sqlite3 as suggested (it may not be optional) before a user can be added.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Final, add comment...

The above statement about runniing 32-bit libraries in LEAP is not really correct.

LEAP <can> run 32-bit binaries and you can install 32-bit libraries, but they're not provided for you.
    If you can provide everything "32-bit" that's needed, a 32-bit app should not be a problem, but it won't likely be easy...

IMO,
    TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Made a couple more tries... but although not complete a final noteworthy commend...

Just keep running the check script and fixing whatever it tells you to do.
    I've fun it now about 6 additional times and a variety of things have been modified... installing sqlite3 before adding a User, rebuilding the database a couple times, synchronizing scap data... and there's still more fixes needed but it looks like there's a good probability that eventually everything will be working.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast