Thread: add applications and shutdown on a new panel

Default add applications and shutdown on a new panel

I gave my laptop samsung rv520 with a fresh installed leap 42.2 to my brother that is very newby of pc.
    I placed in the panel the most used applications icons (click on the application menu>search chrome>right click on it>click on add to panel, done, very easy), firefox, dolphin, chrome, chromium, calc and kcalc; too messy for him so he asked to have a new panel on the left with the most used applications, easy I thought, ...not so easy in effect
    first I tried a default opensuse panel, leap 42.2 hang for 5minutes and I had to reboot, at the reboot there was the same panel as the one main one but on the top of the screen with all the things task manager, system tray and the rest.
    so I deleted it and tried a default panel, hang again and the same result, so I tried empty panel, it worked but I wasn't able to add applications to the second panel.
    same procedure, but when I click on the application menu it adds icons only to its panel, rightclicking on the second panel only add widget was possible, so I had to add application launcher widget, then add the icons, and then remove the application launcher.
    then he asked to have the shut down button on the second panel, easy I thought, rightclick on the application launcher>power session>rightclick on shut down.... but, there was no option to add to panel !!!!, only remove from favorites..., but why this!!!!???? I had to add the lock logout widget....
    the comment had been, ...this is a very complicate system for me, it works very bad, and, the icons are not the same in the various places, referring that the shut down icon are not the same in the application launcher>power session and in the favorites...
    so,
    it is possible to have that shut down has not the option to add to panel?
    it sis possible that leap 42.2 doesn't hang if you add a panel?
    it is possible to have a way to add application without the need to add application launcher to the panel?
    manythanks, ciao, pier :-)

Default Re: add applications and shutdown on a new panel

On KDE I assume?
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    On KDE I assume?
    yes, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    I gave my laptop samsung rv520 with a fresh installed leap 42.2 to my brother that is very newby of pc.
    I placed in the panel the most used applications icons (click on the application menu>search chrome>right click on it>click on add to panel, done, very easy), firefox, dolphin, chrome, chromium, calc and kcalc; too messy for him so he asked to have a new panel on the left with the most used applications, easy I thought, ...not so easy in effect
    first I tried a default opensuse panel, leap 42.2 hang for 5minutes and I had to reboot, at the reboot there was the same panel as the one main one but on the top of the screen with all the things task manager, system tray and the rest.
    so I deleted it and tried a default panel, hang again and the same result, so I tried empty panel, it worked but I wasn't able to add applications to the second panel.
    same procedure, but when I click on the application menu it adds icons only to its panel, rightclicking on the second panel only add widget was possible, so I had to add application launcher widget, then add the icons, and then remove the application launcher.
    then he asked to have the shut down button on the second panel, easy I thought, rightclick on the application launcher>power session>rightclick on shut down.... but, there was no option to add to panel !!!!, only remove from favorites..., but why this!!!!???? I had to add the lock logout widget....
    the comment had been, ...this is a very complicate system for me, it works very bad, and, the icons are not the same in the various places, referring that the shut down icon are not the same in the application launcher>power session and in the favorites...
    so,
    it is possible to have that shut down has not the option to add to panel?
    it sis possible that leap 42.2 doesn't hang if you add a panel?
    it is possible to have a way to add application without the need to add application launcher to the panel?
    manythanks, ciao, pier :-)
    Hi,

I think there is no widget to add a shutdown button to a panel as of yet. There was one in "Plasma 4" days. But in power settings there's an option to change the behaviour of the power button to your preferences. You can set it to sleep or shutdown or even hibernate, which I don't recommend.
    That your system hanged is obviously a glitch. Try different compositor settings (system settings - monitor/screen - compositor), like opengl 2 or even xrender as it is a an old computer. Maybe even turn the compositor off altogether.
    I don't understand your last question. You install application in yast. You can add your own launchers if you right click on the menu icon on you panel and choose "edit applications"

Quote Originally Posted by pumrel View Post
    Hi,

I think there is no widget to add a shutdown button to a panel as of yet. There was one in "Plasma 4" days. But in power settings there's an option to change the behaviour of the power button to your preferences. You can set it to sleep or shutdown or even hibernate, which I don't recommend.
    no, I don't want to change the behaviour of power button, it must shut down for my brother. yes, there is a widget called "lock/log out" to add, but it would be very better follow the very intuitive beautyful standard protocol: rightclick on the application menu>power session>rightclick on shut down>click on add to panel...
    That your system hanged is obviously a glitch. Try different compositor settings (system settings - monitor/screen - compositor), like opengl 2 or even xrender as it is a an old computer. Maybe even turn the compositor off altogether.
    manythanks, I'll try
    I don't understand your last question. You install application in yast. You can add your own launchers if you right click on the menu icon on you panel and choose "edit applications"
    if you add an empty panel the application menu is absent and has to be added as widget, without it I cannot add applications, this is very confusing for a newbe and for a less newbe like me too, so I think it would be better to add to an empty panel the application menu by default or if there is a way to add application to a panel without adding application menu to it.