Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to do a full system backup (and restore) on opensuse 42.2 with btrfs file systems?

Default How to do a full system backup (and restore) on opensuse 42.2 with btrfs file systems?

How to do a full system backup on opensuse 42.2 with btrfs file systems? And of course, after that a (easy, simple, fast) system restore on e.g. a new harddisk, which also creates the partitions? (note: I am not asking how to backup my data -- I use tar & rsync for that).

When using ext4 I could easily boot a rescue system and tar-ing every partition, but with btrfs I have much more partitions which are also "nested", so this seems to be much more complicated (e.g. a subpartition /var with subsub partitions /var/cache, /var/crash, etc).

Thanks!

Default Re: How to do a full system backup (and restore) on opensuse 42.2 with btrfs file systems?

For copying the whole of a disk bytewise (which will then include inddeed all of the disk, that is the MBR with the partition table, all partitions and all that is in those partitions, ranging from rubbish to btrfs), you can look into a tool like
    Code:
    dd
    I also think that Clonezilla might be used (I never did).

Remember that doing this the disk must be unused. Thus when it contains a system, that system must not be running (use a life/rescue system or one from another disk) and when it does not contain a system, all file systems on it must be unmounted. Else your copy wil most probably not be consistent.
    Henk van Velden

Default Re: How to do a full system backup (and restore) on opensuse 42.2 with btrfs file systems?

Thanks. I think this will work, however probably you need to restore on a disk of the same size?
    And it is not possible to get e.g. the /etc tree from the image file without restoring the whole disk?
    Any other tips?

Quote Originally Posted by jan9 View Post
    Thanks. I think this will work, however probably you need to restore on a disk of the same size?
    And it is not possible to get e.g. the /etc tree from the image file without restoring the whole disk?
    Any other tips?
    Yes, preferably a disk of the same size (or larger). But that is included in your description of what you want as I have read it. Copying the disk (including partioning) and restoring the same.

You can of course also use dd (or the like) to copy just each partition themselve. That would allow you to copy them them one by one (but every one on a partition of the same size) on the one or more disks.

And as this is a copy on some medium, it depends on the medium, but if that is some form of mass-storage, you can mount the file systems that are on there and then have all in those file systems available, including /etc.

BTW, I read that you already backup user data using rsync, etc. IMHO doing the same to /etc will give you the system configurations at hand in case of system disaster and reinstallation (not for a blind copying back, but for comparing with what I had). I do not make clones of disks or partitions, but copies for back up of /home, /etc, /boot, /root and /srv. But hat is all to be adapted to your needs.
    Henk van Velden

Thanks.

Any other suggestions from other forum visitors?

Thanks.

I have been using http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
    for backing up my systems here now for years. While this is a
    product for purchase I can highly recommend it. I use it
    to backup my windows and Linux systems. You can backup
    to just about any media available today, DVD, USBPen/disks
    etc. There is nothing easier to use that I have come across
    and for the very reasonable pricing you cannot beat it.

They have versions for DOS, Windows and Linux.as
    well as some other tools and utilities including a
    great partitioning tool.

Any other tips?
    ... same size or larger.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Thanks.

I use Clonezilla, have for many years, love it, has not failed me. But, I do not use btrfs file system, instead sticking with ext4, and I recall someone who ran into a serious problem trying to do just what you want to do with btrfs.

You might also like to reference this post:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...lume-structure
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

How to do a full system backup on opensuse 42.2 with btrfs file systems? And of course, after that a (easy, simple, fast) system restore on e.g. a new harddisk, which also creates the partitions? (note: I am not asking how to backup my data -- I use tar & rsync for that).

When using ext4 I could easily boot a rescue system and tar-ing every partition, but with btrfs I have much more partitions which are also "nested", so this seems to be much more complicated (e.g. a subpartition /var with subsub partitions /var/cache, /var/crash, etc).

Thanks!
    If your btrfs root filesystem has snapshots enabled you might start with using the btrfs send receive commands to copy a snapshot to a replica on another media. You could then use rsync for the twenty odd subvolumes not subject to snapshots.

I recently spent considerable time researching how I might keep a replica of a openSUSE btrfs rootfs. This included figuring out how to accurately replica a rootfs and its subvolumes and snapshot capability. I posted my findings a forum entry .

In the end I found it easier to stay with ext4.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    I use Clonezilla, have for many years, love it, has not failed me. But, I do not use btrfs file system, instead sticking with ext4[...].
    Thanks, I tried clonezilla (the most recent version, "alternative stable - 20161121-yakkety") and it failed on my btrfs partition with no clear error message. Maybe opensuse 42.2 has some changes somewhere in in btrfs which are not supported by this version yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast