Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bugs in Opensuse Leap42.2, bizzare problems, need help

Default bugs in Opensuse Leap42.2, bizzare problems, need help

I want to start by stating that i am not using any exotic hardware, no nvidia no ati stuff or discrete graphics.
    i am using basic stuff , an intel core i3 integrated graphics, some ddr3 ram , and an intel SSD , probably as basic as you can get.
    fully supported stuff.

To shortly summarize my problems:

1) I installed opensuse leap 42.2 with default kde, and chose xfce along with it in options whilst installing.
    loging into xfce environment doesn't even work, unless you first log into kde ,and then log back out and choose xfce

2)unable to re-connect back to wifi after changing Macadress in connection editor.
    Ive tested this on 2 different laptops with leap42.2, and get same issue, its not an inherent problem with my wifi cards , or anything to do with my wifi network itself , as i am able to use CloneMac adress option in connection editor perfectly in kubuntu 16.04, kaOS, and they both have plasma 5.8, i am able to reconnect to my network after i change my MAC address. but This doesnt seem to be the case with Leap 42.2

In conclusion to this, i was so excited for this release, but Opensuse leap42.2 is one of the worst newest linux releases i have ever experienced due to the problems i mentioned above ,it doesnt seem like the functional desktop i want

Blog Entries

Default Re: bugs in Opensuse Leap42.2, bizzare problems, need help

On Sun 20 Nov 2016 02:36:02 AM CST, Fofinho wrote:

I want to start by stating that i am not using any exotic hardware, no
    nvidia no ati stuff or discrete graphics.
    i am using basic stuff , an intel core i3 integrated graphics, some ddr3
    ram , and an intel SSD , probably as basic as you can get.
    fully supported stuff.

To shortly summarize my problems:

1) I installed opensuse leap 42.2 with default kde, and chose xfce
    along with it in options whilst installing.
    loging into xfce environment doesn't even work, unless you first log
    into kde ,and then log back out and choose xfce

2)unable to re-connect back to wifi after changing Macadress in
    connection editor.
    Ive tested this on 2 different laptops with leap42.2, and get same
    issue, its not an inherent problem with my wifi cards , or anything to
    do with my wifi network itself , as i am able to use CloneMac adress
    option in connection editor perfectly in kubuntu 16.04, kaOS, and they
    both have plasma 5.8, i am able to reconnect to my network after i
    change my MAC address. but This doesnt seem to be the case with Leap

In conclusion to this, i was so excited for this release, but Opensuse
    leap42.2 is one of the worst newest linux releases i have ever
    experienced due to the problems i mentioned above ,it dos

Hi
    These are technical forums, I don't see any request for help with
    technical details, esp with your last paragraph!

If you want to complain, then suggest you head to the Soapbox sub-forum.

If you want help, then remove the emotion and post technical details of
    the issue, perhaps some NM or journal logs, did you restart the Network.

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.34-33-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

I'm not sure why xfce fails to start it sounds like a video driver issue did you change anything in the video options
    anyway if using plasma 5 with an integrated intel gfx you need to set video acceleration to uxa
    https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-d...st/000088.html

Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
            Driver      "intel"
            Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
    EndSection
    about wifi try switching network manager to wicked
    or go in yast->networking and set your preference there, as I have a wired connection I can't be sure but set your networking preferences in yast->network

Blog Entries

Hi
    Mac address cloning is not supported in openSUSE 42.2 it only has NM 1.0.12, in Tumbleweed is 1.4.2, AFAIK it didn't start working until 1.4.x series.

I think you can only change the last parts of the mac address, not the manufacturer id.
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 19-Nov-2016 at 20:26.
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE

Quote Originally Posted by Fofinho View Post
    1) I installed opensuse leap 42.2 with default kde, and chose xfce along with it in options whilst installing.
    loging into xfce environment doesn't even work, unless you first log into kde ,and then log back out and choose xfce
    Disable Auto-Login in YaST->Security and Users->User and Group Management->Expert Options->Login Options or by editing /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager (DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN) directly.

Nothing new and no bug either, it's like this (in openSUSE) since ages.

If Auto-login is not what your problem is, please be more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Mac address cloning is not supported in openSUSE 42.2 it only has NM 1.0.12, in Tumbleweed is 1.4.2, AFAIK it didn't start working until 1.4.x series.

I think you can only change the last parts of the mac address, not the manufacturer id.
    ok so its not a bug , its just not supported, Does this by implication mean that it is impossible to change mac address in opensuse42.2? or if it is actually possible , how would i be able to do it ? i remember being able to do it in 42.1 with macchanger, but in leap42.2 macchanger doesn't work, mac address shows original and doesn't actually change .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fofinho View Post
    ok so its not a bug , its just not supported, Does this by implication mean that it is impossible to change mac address in opensuse42.2? or if it is actually possible , how would i be able to do it ? i remember being able to do it in 42.1 with macchanger, but in leap42.2 macchanger doesn't work, mac address shows original and doesn't actually change .
    Hi
    Are you trying to change the whole mac address or just part?
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Disable Auto-Login in YaST->Security and Users->User and Group Management->Expert Options->Login Options or by editing /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager (DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN) directly.

Nothing new and no bug either, it's like this (in openSUSE) since ages.

If Auto-login is not what your problem is, please be more specific.
    Oh i made sure auto-login was disabled right from the start when i was in installation options, auto-login for me is a big no-no.
    not even sure why auto-login is enabled by default in suse.

to be more specific about my problem , when i turn my laptop on , the login screen shows up, it has a black lightbulb with little a green lizard in it
    and an area in the middle of the screen where you enter log-in details. On the bottom left-hand side of the screen, there is an option which allows you to choose what desktop enviroment that you want to use, and after i choose the xfce session , a spinning icon on the mouse cursor shows up, then it goes away and nothing else happens, i just stay stuck at log in screen,i can still move cursor, ,but i have to force shutdown by power-button because i cant click on anything.

I suppose its best to just have only 1 desktop installed.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Are you trying to change the whole mac address or just part?
    it could be just a part, just so as long as its not the same as my original.
    Ive tried changing the last 2 digits of my mac in connection editor as was suggested to me , but that didnt work either.
    I just find it a bit bizarre that there is an option shown in connection-editor that allows you to change/clone mac.
    but it isnt even supported in leap 42.2..lol, its a very misleading , confusing thing.
    Is there a way to somehow perhaps port it to newer 1.4xx versions where changing mac is supported? , like the one tumbleweed has ?

in my other kubuntu and kaOS installations , i am able to do it , all i do is press random , i then get a new mac address and reconnect, and it works every time

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    I'm not sure why xfce fails to start it sounds like a video driver issue did you change anything in the video options
    anyway if using plasma 5 with an integrated intel gfx you need to set video acceleration to uxa
    https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-d...st/000088.html

Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
            Driver      "intel"
            Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
    EndSection
    about wifi try switching network manager to wicked
    or go in yast->networking and set your preference there, as I have a wired connection I can't be sure but set your networking preferences in yast->network
    Hi
    there is no 20-intel.conf file in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d folder in opensuse leap 42.2
    and on my other kde plasma desktops plasma 5.7 and one with 5.8(kubuntu 16.04) , i have xfce, budgie, gnome3 desktops working fine, they coexist with each other without problems, so i highly doubt its a graphical issue , and i tried different rendering methods in kde display setting, and nothing helped.

Switching to wicked in yast didntdo anything for me, cant change my wifi macaddress in there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast