bugs in Opensuse Leap42.2, bizzare problems, need help

I want to start by stating that i am not using any exotic hardware, no nvidia no ati stuff or discrete graphics.
i am using basic stuff , an intel core i3 integrated graphics, some ddr3 ram , and an intel SSD , probably as basic as you can get.
fully supported stuff.

To shortly summarize my problems:

1. I installed opensuse leap 42.2 with default kde, and chose xfce along with it in options whilst installing.
    loging into xfce environment doesn’t even work, unless you first log into kde ,and then log back out and choose xfce>:(

2)unable to re-connect back to wifi after changing Macadress in connection editor.>:(
Ive tested this on 2 different laptops with leap42.2, and get same issue, its not an inherent problem with my wifi cards , or anything to do with my wifi network itself , as i am able to use CloneMac adress option in connection editor perfectly in kubuntu 16.04, kaOS, and they both have plasma 5.8, i am able to reconnect to my network after i change my MAC address. but This doesnt seem to be the case with Leap 42.2

In conclusion to this, i was so excited for this release, but Opensuse leap42.2 is one of the worst newest linux releases i have ever experienced due to the problems i mentioned above ,it doesnt seem like the functional desktop i want

On Sun 20 Nov 2016 02:36:02 AM CST, Fofinho wrote:

I want to start by stating that i am not using any exotic hardware, no
nvidia no ati stuff or discrete graphics.
i am using basic stuff , an intel core i3 integrated graphics, some ddr3
ram , and an intel SSD , probably as basic as you can get.
fully supported stuff.

To shortly summarize my problems:

1. I installed opensuse leap 42.2 with default kde, and chose xfce
    along with it in options whilst installing.
    loging into xfce environment doesn’t even work, unless you first log
    into kde ,and then log back out and choose xfce>:(

2)unable to re-connect back to wifi after changing Macadress in
connection editor.>:(
Ive tested this on 2 different laptops with leap42.2, and get same
issue, its not an inherent problem with my wifi cards , or anything to
do with my wifi network itself , as i am able to use CloneMac adress
option in connection editor perfectly in kubuntu 16.04, kaOS, and they
both have plasma 5.8, i am able to reconnect to my network after i
change my MAC address. but This doesnt seem to be the case with Leap

In conclusion to this, i was so excited for this release, but Opensuse
leap42.2 is one of the worst newest linux releases i have ever
experienced due to the problems i mentioned above ,it dos

Hi
These are technical forums, I don’t see any request for help with
technical details, esp with your last paragraph!

If you want to complain, then suggest you head to the Soapbox sub-forum.

If you want help, then remove the emotion and post technical details of
the issue, perhaps some NM or journal logs, did you restart the Network.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.34-33-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

I’m not sure why xfce fails to start it sounds like a video driver issue did you change anything in the video options
anyway if using plasma 5 with an integrated intel gfx you need to set video acceleration to uxa
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-distro-packagers/2015-August/000088.html

kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
EndSection

about wifi try switching network manager to wicked
or go in yast->networking and set your preference there, as I have a wired connection I can’t be sure but set your networking preferences in yast->network

Hi
Mac address cloning is not supported in openSUSE 42.2 it only has NM 1.0.12, in Tumbleweed is 1.4.2, AFAIK it didn’t start working until 1.4.x series.

I think you can only change the last parts of the mac address, not the manufacturer id.

Disable Auto-Login in YaST->Security and Users->User and Group Management->Expert Options->Login Options or by editing /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager (DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN) directly.

Nothing new and no bug either, it’s like this (in openSUSE) since ages.

If Auto-login is not what your problem is, please be more specific.

ok so its not a bug , its just not supported, Does this by implication mean that it is impossible to change mac address in opensuse42.2? or if it is actually possible , how would i be able to do it ? i remember being able to do it in 42.1 with macchanger, but in leap42.2 macchanger doesn’t work, mac address shows original and doesn’t actually change .

Hi
Are you trying to change the whole mac address or just part?

Oh i made sure auto-login was disabled right from the start when i was in installation options, auto-login for me is a big no-no.
not even sure why auto-login is enabled by default in suse.

to be more specific about my problem , when i turn my laptop on , the login screen shows up, it has a black lightbulb with little a green lizard in it
and an area in the middle of the screen where you enter log-in details. On the bottom left-hand side of the screen, there is an option which allows you to choose what desktop enviroment that you want to use, and after i choose the xfce session , a spinning icon on the mouse cursor shows up, then it goes away and nothing else happens, i just stay stuck at log in screen,i can still move cursor, ,but i have to force shutdown by power-button because i cant click on anything.

I suppose its best to just have only 1 desktop installed.

it could be just a part, just so as long as its not the same as my original.
Ive tried changing the last 2 digits of my mac in connection editor as was suggested to me , but that didnt work either.
I just find it a bit bizarre that there is an option shown in connection-editor that allows you to change/clone mac.
but it isnt even supported in leap 42.2…lol, its a very misleading , confusing thing.
Is there a way to somehow perhaps port it to newer 1.4xx versions where changing mac is supported? , like the one tumbleweed has ?

in my other kubuntu and kaOS installations , i am able to do it , all i do is press random , i then get a new mac address and reconnect, and it works every time

Hi
there is no 20-intel.conf file in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d folder in opensuse leap 42.2
and on my other kde plasma desktops plasma 5.7 and one with 5.8(kubuntu 16.04) , i have xfce, budgie, gnome3 desktops working fine, they coexist with each other without problems, so i highly doubt its a graphical issue , and i tried different rendering methods in kde display setting, and nothing helped.

Switching to wicked in yast didntdo anything for me, cant change my wifi macaddress in there

sorry, I was waiting for opensuse 42.2 to come out for a while now. i Thought surely this would be the best linux distro.
But im upset.
Because i found out that I am having unique problems with opensuse leap42.2 that i don’t have in any other Linux distros that i have tried so far.
and to me this makes it a pretty non-functional desktop to be used as a main os , especially when things in it are misleading,
such as not being able to change mac address despite it being shown ,but i just found out that its not actually supported because it uses very old NM…
And by the looks of it, you can not install xfce along side kdeplasma, the xfce wont even load unless you first log into kde, and then log back out
and then log into xfce, sometimes that doesnt even work and you must try it several times to get it working
So it looks like i will have to reinstall with just xfce , apparently , having xfce and kde totgehter in opensuse version 42.2 just doesnt work.

but i do genuinely need help to get what i want working.

'buntu distros have always worked nearly flawlessly for me, but i wanna try something different

I told you to create that file as
kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
creates the file, then paste the mentioned text in it
regarding networkmanager you can get an updated version from a different repo
https://software.opensuse.org/package/NetworkManager
I’d recommend adding the whole repo as it has updated libraries and then do a vendor switch to that repo for example

zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/NickLion:/nm/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/home:NickLion:nm.repo
zypper dup --from "NetworkManager (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)"

or pull networkmanager-1.4.2 after adding the repo do

zypper in -f NetworkManager-1.4.2

I decided to just reinstall opensuse with just 1 desktop, i also had theme problems when i had kde with xfce that i didn’t like , having kde and xfce doesnt work too well in opensuse42.2. Therefore ,having 1 desktop environment installed eliminates my first problem.

I tried switching repos and installed the 1.4NM ,but that networkmanager 1.4 doesnt even work , now i am left without any functioning NM of any kind, so what am i supposed to do now in order to get it working ?any ideas? i dont have any internet within opensuse anymore., this leads me into even more problems.
https://s16.postimg.org/572c7h3tx/Screenshot_2016_11_20_06_13_16.png
I wonder why in almost 2017 , opensuse leap 42.2 is shipped ,with a very old NM from 2008-2011 , but comes with the latest plasma 5.8 , i find it awkward.

Actually , it works in NM 1.2.2 , which is what im currently using right now in Kubuntu.
Is there any explanation as to why the new leap 42.2 is shipped with such an old version of NM in the first place in late 2016?
yet it has the newest plasma 5? can you shed some light ? i dont understand

Hi
Long term support for the duration of the Leap 42 series and it’s lifecycle, eg the kernel. You need to look at each and every package and where it will be (in this case 18 months time) and how you support it backport fixes etc, some can be a lot of work!

Since your not happy, then I suggest you raise a bug on your issue with nm and see if it can be worked out;
openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE

Yeah,indeed I’m unhappy ,as i was waiting for this distro ,only to find out it doesn’t function well because it comes with old NM.
And unhappy that i was unable to find solutions to my problems. Though im not going to do any bug reporting here, as it is not a bug, its because the makers of opensuse leap42.2 chose the really old NM in late 2016, i will move onto other linux distro where things are newer and function as intended.
Clearly , Opensuse leap42.2 isn’t yet ready for the mass, its still a beta, and unfortunately truthfully, its much more like a plunge than a leap, ironically its not even as good as 42.1, but worse.
I hope the opensuse people go back to the drawing board and add in newer NM for Leap 42.3, and better support with having multiple desktop enviroments.
I’m scared of tumbleweed, im told over and over again that things break in it , so Opensuse just isnt really for me after all.

Anyhow , thanks for your patience, and for deciding to tolerate me, you are very good with people!

Hi
No worries, good thing about linux is choice :wink: not sure about not ready for the masses, but in your case it will only get looked at via a bug report.

I’m running tumbleweed, no major issues, for me I’ve only had a few minor hiccups over the last 6 months or so (and fixed quickly), for argument sake I’ve created a couple of bug reports for my gpu and the amdgpu kernel driver, all have been fixed upstream and implemented in openSUSE, it runs well on tumbleweed, just had to build for Leap 42.2 and all is good.

The “opensuse people” did not make that decision, NetworkManager comes from SLE (SUSE) AFAIK.
But I think 42.1 should not have had a newer version either…

Regarding “for the masses”: I never had a need (or even desire) to change my MAC address.
Though I could do it in the BIOS too…

and better support with having multiple desktop enviroments.

That should work fine though.

You are having a really strange problem there.

Maybe try to use a different display manager?
There are quite a few in openSUSE: sddm, kdm, gdm, lightdm, and even some more obscure ones.

As you did a fresh installation now and choosing XFCE (which would use lightdm as displaymanager/login screen I think), you may try to install Plasma5 additionally.
Maybe your problem was just related to sddm (in combination whith XFCE) somehow.

I’m scared of tumbleweed, im told over and over again that things break in it

That’s nonsense.

But Tumbleweed always gets the latest versions of everything (it’s a rolling distribution), which may or may not interest you.
Of course this in itself can cause problems, especially with 3rd party software (and drivers in particular).

Not sure what the problem was, but i had to try several times to get into xfce, and i didnt like that. maybe it had something to
do with display managers, i noticed the xfce had a totally different log in screen than the kde one. And yes it’s Strange, as this only happened to me uniquely in leap42.2 , no problems with multiple desktops in Kubuntu 16.04 on same exact hardware/laptop. Having a networkmanager that shows mac address can be changed, but is actually non-functioning very bad , and i like to be more secure when im flying and traveling around which i do a lot.
Having a NM that doesnt do what is says is false advertising , and makes it fake. And that bothers me , I like to have everything in the OS working as intended.

I have seen and heard things on forums, and youtube about tumbleweed that scares me. And i read some things on Portal:Tumbleweed - openSUSE Wiki
that kinda make me afraid, since the kernel and everything in it updates as they are released .I as an artist am not sure if i’d want that as my main OS, i wouldnt want to update, and then restart pc , and be stuck at a black loading screen or something worse, And i am not too technically versed.

I was hoping to escape the 'ubuntu and all its derivatives universe and try a different linux world. But you know what , i got 3 laptops ,so i’ll at least give tumbleweed a try before i decide to make it as a main OS. Meanwhile I’ll stick around and wait for a few weeks for the new Opensuse leap 42.3 to come out

Hi
Like I say, even running Tumbleweed back a few months on my MacBook3,1 didn’t have any issues (a bug with intel driver, but not invasive), I have 8 laptops and a desktop in regular use with openSUSE 42.1, openSUSE 42.2, Tumbleweed, SLED 12 SP2 and SLES 12 SP1 a few minor issues, but DE’s work fine as well as hardware. Never seen a need for mac cloning (if needed can do it on my router), likewise only tested encryption and lvm to see what it was like.