How can i use the Gnome Network Manager using Leap 42.2 with Plasma 5.8 ?

Hi, i am having connection issues with the Network Manager of Plasma 5.8, i would like to try the Gnome Network Manager and see if that solves my problem: It just disconnects and never connects again, i have to reboot in order to get a working connection again.

I thought it was may be a 4.7+ Kernel issue, since it was working fine with Tumbleweed as of September, but know that i am using Leap with the 4.4 Linux kernel, i think the issue comes from Plasma.

I have already installed the Gnome Network Manager, but i don’t know how to disable the KDE Network Manager and to set the Gnome as the prefered option.

Can you help me plz ?

Both use the same NetworkManager in the end (both are just frontends), so I doubt it will make a difference.

But you can indeed run NetworkManager’s GNOME/GTK applet inside Plasma, just type its name (“nm-applet”) into a konsole or krunner and it should show its icon in the system tray.

Another option is nmtui which is a text mode interface and contained in the main NetworkManager package.

I have already installed the Gnome Network Manager, but i don’t know how to disable the KDE Network Manager and to set the Gnome as the prefered option.

You don’t necessarily need to disable Plasma’s applet, but you can in the system tray settings.

And it should be restarted on login by Plasma’s session management if you don’t close/quit/kill it before logging out.