General "clean up"

What with having my root directory getting full (thanks to that image/boot programme…which I’ve now erased!) I wondered whether there’s a good way to give the system a general “clean up”, other than perhaps logging into a konsole as root and doing an “rmdir /tmp*”

I think there used to be a setting where you could change how often /tmp got cleaned, but this appears to have gone?

So what other tips would you use to help keep things clean, and fast. I suppose cleaning the browsers cache…anything else? With windows, I use BullGuard premium which has an “optimize pc” option, which does all of this for you, which is great.

Many thanks in advance

Ross

ps - I’m using KDE, not gnome.

Yes, things have changed over time. /tmp is now the mountpoint of a tmpfs

So what other tips would you use to help keep things clean, and fast. I suppose cleaning the browsers cache…anything else? With windows, I use BullGuard premium which has an “optimize pc” option, which does all of this for you, which is great.

Many thanks in advance

Ross

ps - I’m using KDE, not gnome.

A thing you could consider re. btrfs and snapper ( the filesystem and the snapshot tool ) is to have your root partition on ext4 or xfs. You loose the snapshot functionality doing so, but that would avoid flooding your root partition.
The best advice is the classic meme “Linux is not Windows”. “Cleaning up” will not “optimize” things. F.e. the way linux deals with RAM is completely different.