What happened to SuperKaramba?

I’m not really the only person still using SuperKaramba, am I?

It was present in Leap 42.1, but does not seem to be part of 42.2. Did I miss it–perhaps it’s moved to an optional repository I don’t have?

I rebuilt it from the 42.1 src rpm and it seems to be working fine, but would really prefer to have it integrated. Any ideas?

Yes it looks like it’s not available for 42.2 yet:
http://software.opensuse.org/package/superkaramba

There is a thumbleweed and 42.1 version of the package. I guess you have to wait or contact the maintainers of the package.
I think you want to get to one of these people:
https://build.opensuse.org/group/show/maintenance-opensuse.org

And it never will be.

superkaramba is dead, it has been dropped upstream over a year ago (and was basically unmaintained long before that).
I think most of its functionality should be part of Plasma AFAIK (since 4.x already).
Never used superkaramba myself at all though.

I also was of the impression that it won’t even work in Plasma5.
How are you successfully using it in 42.1?

There is a thumbleweed and 42.1 version of the package.

No, there isn’t a Tumbleweed version. It has been dropped from Tumbleweed as well months ago.
The search page is wrong.

Note that it says version “4.8.2”, which was released in 2012…

I guess you have to wait or contact the maintainers of the package.
I think you want to get to one of these people:
https://build.opensuse.org/group/show/maintenance-opensuse.org

No point.
We won’t include old, outdated, unmaintained software in new openSUSE releases.

And those people are the maintenance team who release the official updates in the update repo.
They do not maintain KDE packages like superkaramba…

The last available version (15.08.3, over a year old) is available in my repo though, I enabled the build for 42.2:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/wolfi323:/branches:/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/

PS, from the official KDE Applications 15.12 release announcement last December:

Moving Forward

As part of the effort to modernise our offerings, we’ve dropped some applications from KDE Applications and are no longer releasing them as of KDE Applications 15.12

We’ve dropped 4 applications from the release - Amor, KTux, KSnapshot and SuperKaramba. As noted above, KSnapshot has been replaced by Spectacle, and Plasma essentially replaces SuperKaramba as a widget engine.

PPS: See also Superkaramba from August 2015, where it was proposed to drop it.

I think we should kill superkaramba (move it to unmaintained) like I
recently did with ktux and amor for the following reasons:

1. It’s old mainly targeted KDE 3.x
  2. It’s unmaintained.
  3. Plasma can do most/all of what it could do.
  4. It’s not been ported to Qt5/kf5.

Any objections?

There were no objections.

Thanks for the extensive explanation.
I never used it myself in any openSUSE version. I’m just stying a package exists :slight_smile: so I’m guessing it’s working there.

A package still exists in 42.1, because that was released before superkaramba had been dropped upstream.

But it’s gone in Tumbleweed, and 42.2 too.

And as indicated, I’m not at all sure it would even work in a Plasma5 desktop.
I haven’t tried though.

Well, I guess I can’t say I wasn’t warned. :wink:

As I said in my original post, I did a rebuild from the 42.1 src rpm and, at least for the things I use it for, it seems to be working fine.

I’ll stick with that until I get a chance to look into writing Plasma widgets that can replace SuperKaramba for my needs.

Thanks for the info–and for not laughing at me for still using SK!

…:‘(:’(:cry: amor… too bad…

Yes, over a year ago already…

But don’t worry, I do have amor in my repo (which you use AFAIK :wink: ), you should even be able to run it in a Plasma5 session.

Although it never will (be able to) work in Wayland…

I cannot find amor in your repo for 42.1…

…I start to consider the nearly useless of wayland :wink:

Yes, because it is still available in the standard repos in 42.1…

…I start to consider the nearly useless of wayland :wink:

Other people think differently… :wink:
It’s more secure in any case, and that’s why such things like amor will not be possible any more.

But it’s still years away that Wayland willl be default, I think.

Hi
In Tumbleweed if gnome-session-wayland is present it’s the default, there are still a few apps I use that don’t work, but for the most part seems to work fine for me.

Yes, but apparently you don’t know what amor is about. :wink:

It’s a small “icon” that hops around your windows…

And that is just not possible in Wayland (for security reasons), unless the compositor does it.

Hi
Hmmm, sounds like a paperclip from another operating system :wink:

Exactly this.

But it is configurable…

…like to say that girls for security reasons hasn’t to wear stiletto heels… and choose between be sexy or not :wink:

Not really.
The point is that the things that amor does are technically not possible in Wayland.
An application just cannot draw outside of its window.