Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Leap 42.2

Please see it here:
https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.php/174-openSUSE-Leap-42-2-Multimedia-Guide

Access to this page requires a login to forums.
Not very user friendly

**openSUSE Leap 42.2 Multimedia Guide

*Please note: Flash Player has been removed from my guide as it is no longer required in most cases and it represents a security issue. You can add it manually yourself of course.

**Revised and Simplified manual Method****This assumes you already have the default repositories.

NOTE You need to become su - in a terminal
Become super user in a terminal (su -). Learn how here

STEP 1: Add Packman and libdvdcss repositories

zypper ar -f http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/ packman
zypper ar -f http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/ libdvdcss

Now do

zypper ref

(a) to accept always and trust the signing key

FOR KDE USE:

zypper install libxine2-codecs ffmpeg lame gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ffmpeg libdvdcss2 dvdauthor07 gstreamer-plugins-base gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegdemux gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegmux k3b-codecs vlc-beta h264enc x264 gstreamer-plugins-libav vlc-beta-codecs

**FOR GNOME or XFCE or LXDE USE: **

zypper install libxine2-codecs ffmpeg lame gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ffmpeg libdvdcss2 dvdauthor07 gstreamer-plugins-base gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegdemux gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegmux vlc-beta smplayer totem-browser-plugin h264enc x264 gstreamer-plugins-libav vlc-beta-codecs

If you face choices. Look carefully for the option to let the package/s switch from openSUSE > packman

When done. Close the terminal. And open Yast > Software Management and Apply the Package Switcher on Packman.

KDE: Example of Packman switch in KDE

Gnome: Example of Packman switch in Gnome

If you encounter dependency errors: Eg: Errors You need to accept changes that allow vendor switch to Packman If you can’t work it out. Ask in the forum.

IMPORTANT NOTES:**

1. This multi-media install now separates kde and gnome. This should ensure a complete multi-media experience with the least difficulty.

2. Please do not use the VideoLan repository!

3. OneClick options will be available here: Restricted formats - openSUSE Community Wiki

Yes.

I actually am a bit curious why the openSUSE Blogs can only be read if a person is logged in, as well. I can understand why comments and such would be disabled to someone not logged in, but I believe the info in these Blogs should be readily available across the internet.

I have not got around to asking about that, though, because I believe whoever made this decision had a good reason, and I have too much going on to take the time to explore further. After all, I can access them easily, since I am a forum member and I am logged in, so there is no rush to get it changed, IMC.

Thanks, Carl. Your efforts are valuable to a lot of users.

Hi and thanks for the job done to help users.

I wonder the same - Even through internet, it is not so easy to find out informations about how to manage openSUSE 's post installation specially for New Users. I really like to know the reasons why this tuto is not avaible for anyone.
this one is : 13. Multimedia Codecs - Install Support for restricted codecs including MP3, DVD, WMA, WMV, MOV etc. - but i am not sure this is official “how to” (?)

If someone could give more informations.
thanks

I’d like to add my thanks too, because I did’nt know there were so much packages to install, and especially which ones of course.

However I could’nt download fluendo mpegmux/demux packages, they are lacking in packman repository.

Now I can read some dvds, it seems to be only home-made ones with no menus.
When I try to read a commercial DVD (i.e. NCIS season 2), with kaffeine or dragon on command line I get the error : "error cracking css key… "
WIth a personal DVD backup with menu, nor kaffeine nor dragon player will play when called directly from menu when inserting DVD - with command line, I get the following messages :

libdvdread:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdread:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.BUP

I would like to mention that both disks play correctly on Ubuntu 14.04. So well, I’m a bit disappointed since I was hoping a better experience with openSUSE (I switched recently my laptop from Ubuntu to openSUSE).

Best regards.

Let me precise that I play DVDs with VLC on Ubuntu 14.04. I’ve been struggling and crawling the web to make DVDs play on openSUSE for about 3 days. I tried to play DVDs in VLC on openSUSE at a moment, it was’nt working good, then I noticed that using VLC on OpenSUSE was discouraged and after a new install I did’nt activate videoLAN repository.

VLC is in Packman Repo so no need for the Videolan Repo.
Maybe you get then Trouble because of different naming/versioning Scheme in the Repos…

Its also mentinoed in the Guide above.
Next to last line.

@Sauerland : thanks for your answer ! Having installed most packages mentioned in the guide above, actually I already had VLC without knowing it ! But it worked the same way as other apps (kaffeine, dragon …).

A consistency problem among my packages is possible since YaST2 crashes from time to time, but the main point was that my Asus laptop’s dvd drive had no region code preset, which I learned by reading dmesg output. It’s far from being my first dvd drive but I never met such an issue, and obviously had’nt tried to read any DVD on Ubuntu. I downloaded and installed regionset from http://linvdr.org/projects/regionset/ and now everything works fine. Kaffeine is even a little better than VLC at opening first DVD menu.

By the way I have learned that a message output from an application won’t always give you the last word about your problem since it could come from system/hardware layer.

Let’s go on with openSUSE/KDE !

Okay, I have now installed OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 on two different machines with two very different experiences regarding restricted multimedia. The second machine had www access during install, the first didn’t. With www access, it was a simple matter of checking the appropriate box during install, and everything Just Worked. The machine that was offline (and could not be online during OS install) is the problem. I’ve been using Linux since '07, but I am new to OpenSUSE; I am accustomed to distros that use Synaptic for package management.

Before I get into details, I just have to wonder – restricted/non-OSS capability is a problem that is ALREADY SOLVED, at least during the OS install process. Why is that chunk of script/code not accessible/usable for offline installs? Why must one resort to bash commands? One should NOT have to risk one’s data by reinstalling the entire OS (and then have to re-update it) simply to access that single solitary check box, just because one did not have www access at that precise instant of initial OS install!!!

So, anyway, once I got the machine online, I did try to install VLC via YaST (NOT from VideoLAN direct) FIRST. Of course, it still won’t play MP3 or h264 MP4’s. After going through a whole rigamarole to renew my ability to access this forum (lost password, compatibility issues with my cloud password storage method, plus re-verification here), I followed the above procedure. The repos added OK. But the final command, to install the actual packages…

**machine:/home/sudoer # **zypper install libxine2-codecs ffmpeg lame gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ffmpeg libdvdcss2 flash-player dvdauthor07 gstreamer-plugins-base gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegdemux gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegmux k3b-codecs gecko-mediaplayer vlc smplayer h264enc x264 gstreamer-plugins-libav vlc-codecs
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
‘gstreamer-plugins-base’ is already installed.
No update candidate for ‘gstreamer-plugins-base-1.8.3-5.3.2.x86_64’. The highest available version is already installed.
‘gstreamer-plugins-bad’ is already installed.
No update candidate for ‘gstreamer-plugins-bad-1.8.3-5.3.1.x86_64’. The highest available version is already installed.
‘gstreamer-plugins-good’ is already installed.
No update candidate for ‘gstreamer-plugins-good-1.8.3-5.6.1.x86_64’. The highest available version is already installed.
‘vlc’ is already installed.
There is an update candidate for ‘vlc’, but it is from a different vendor. Use ‘zypper install vlc-2.2.4-34.6.x86_64’ to install this candidate.
‘k3b-codecs’ not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
Resolving package dependencies…
7 Problems:
Problem: nothing provides libcdio.so.14()(64bit) needed by libxine2-codecs-1.2.6-114.1.x86_64
Problem: nothing provides libdirectfb-1.6.so.0()(64bit) needed by gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-0.10.23-187.1.x86_64
Problem: nothing provides libcdio.so.14()(64bit) needed by vlc-noX-2.2.4-34.6.x86_64
Problem: nothing provides libcdio.so.14 needed by MPlayer-1.2.r37548-6.6.i586
Problem: nothing provides libcdio.so.14()(64bit) needed by MPlayer-1.2.r37548-6.6.x86_64
Problem: nothing provides libkcddb.so.4 needed by k3b-2.0.3-9.2.i586
Problem: gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-orig-addon-0.10.23-187.1.x86_64 requires libmpeg2encpp-2.0.so.0()(64bit), but this requirement cannot be provided

Problem: nothing provides libcdio.so.14()(64bit) needed by libxine2-codecs-1.2.6-114.1.x86_64
Solution 1: do not install libxine2-codecs-1.2.6-114.1.x86_64
Solution 2: break libxine2-codecs-1.2.6-114.1.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or skip, retry or cancel [1/2/s/r/c] (c):

I cancelled out of the operation. So, I either already have something better, or can’t get the package I need…what do I do now?

Installed 42.3 (KDE) the other day. As I couldn’t find the multimedia guide for that version, I used this guide.

The only thing I can’t play is mp3’s.

Any idea when the 42.3 multimedia guide will make an appearance?

Thanks.

Any idea when the 42.3 multimedia guide will make an appearance?

Maybe when you publish it?

If you have Problems, please open a new thread.

Just did a zypper refresh && zypper update, which pulled down an extra 48 packages.

mp3 is now working, so can say with confidence that the 42.2 multimedia guide run on 42.3 (KDE) was fine in getting all the necessary codecs etc. working for me:)

https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.php/176-Leap-42-3-Multimedia-Guide

On 30/07/17 04:26, caf4926 wrote:
>
> https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.php/176-Leap-42-3-Multimedia-Guide
>

I can not see it. The following is what shows up instead:

>>Welcome! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the
FAQ. You will have to register before you can post in the forums. (Be
aware the forums do not accept user names with a dash “-”) Also, logging
in lets you avoid the CAPTCHA verification when searching . Select
Articles, Forum, or Blog. Posting in the Forums implies acceptance of
the Terms and Conditions.

Invalid Blog specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the
administrator<<

Is also here
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/526222-Multimedia-Guide-for-openSUSE-Leap-42-3

On 30/07/17 15:46, caf4926 wrote:
>
> Is also here
> http://tinyurl.com/y9ypwyvs
>

Much better link and many thanks for the guide.

Cheers,
Peter

“If you have Problems, please open a new thread”. Gosh, that is useful advice. Since as a new forum user, I don’t seem to be able to edit or delete my own posts, if there is a mod/admin out there watching this thread, please delete it. I’ve copied my text, and will now find a different spot to repost it. Wouldn’t want to find myself accused of crossposting, repetition-spamming, or other heinous netiquette breach in my first steps here…

“If you have a problem please make a new thread”. Fine. I’ve copied my above wall of text, but for some reason I do not seem to be able to edit or delete it. :frowning: If there is a mod/admin watching please delete my above post. Now I’m going to hunt around and find the right place to repost it