Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Leap 42.2

Blog Entries

Default Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Leap 42.2

openSUSE_Leap_42.3_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Default Re: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Leap 42.2

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Access to this page requires a login to forums.
    Not very user friendly

Blog Entries

openSUSE Leap 42.2 Multimedia Guide

*Please note: Flash Player has been removed from my guide as it is no longer required in most cases and it represents a security issue. You can add it manually yourself of course.

Revised and Simplified manual Method
    This assumes you already have the default repositories.

*NOTE* You need to become su - in a terminal
    Become super user in a terminal (su -). Learn how here

STEP 1: Add Packman and libdvdcss repositories

Code:
    zypper ar -f http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/ packman
    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/ libdvdcss
    Now do
    Code:
    zypper ref
    (a) to accept always and trust the signing key

FOR KDE USE:

Code:
    zypper install libxine2-codecs ffmpeg lame gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ffmpeg libdvdcss2 dvdauthor07 gstreamer-plugins-base gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegdemux gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegmux k3b-codecs vlc-beta h264enc x264 gstreamer-plugins-libav vlc-beta-codecs

FOR GNOME or XFCE or LXDE USE:

Code:
    zypper install libxine2-codecs ffmpeg lame gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ffmpeg libdvdcss2 dvdauthor07 gstreamer-plugins-base gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegdemux gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegmux vlc-beta smplayer totem-browser-plugin h264enc x264 gstreamer-plugins-libav vlc-beta-codecs

If you face choices. Look carefully for the option to let the package/s switch from openSUSE > packman

When done. Close the terminal. And open Yast > Software Management and Apply the Package Switcher on Packman.

KDE: Example of Packman switch in KDE

Gnome: Example of Packman switch in Gnome

If you encounter dependency errors: Eg: Errors You need to accept changes that allow vendor switch to Packman If you can't work it out. Ask in the forum.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

1. This multi-media install now separates kde and gnome. This should ensure a complete multi-media experience with the least difficulty.
    2. Please do not use the VideoLan repository!
    3. OneClick options will be available here: Restricted formats - openSUSE Community Wiki

openSUSE_Leap_42.3_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by grahmar View Post
    Access to this page requires a login to forums.
    Not very user friendly
    Yes.

I actually am a bit curious why the openSUSE Blogs can only be read if a person is logged in, as well. I can understand why comments and such would be disabled to someone not logged in, but I believe the info in these Blogs should be readily available across the internet.

I have not got around to asking about that, though, because I believe whoever made this decision had a good reason, and I have too much going on to take the time to explore further. After all, I can access them easily, since I am a forum member and I am logged in, so there is no rush to get it changed, IMC.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~~~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Thanks, Carl. Your efforts are valuable to a lot of users.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~~~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Default Re : Re: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Leap 42.2

Hi and thanks for the job done to help users.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Yes.

I actually am a bit curious why the openSUSE Blogs can only be read if a person is logged in, as well. I can understand why comments and such would be disabled to someone not logged in, but I believe the info in these Blogs should be readily available across the internet.

I have not got around to asking about that, though, because I believe whoever made this decision had a good reason, and I have too much going on to take the time to explore further. After all, I can access them easily, since I am a forum member and I am logged in, so there is no rush to get it changed, IMC.
    I wonder the same - Even through internet, it is not so easy to find out informations about how to manage openSUSE 's post installation specially for New Users. I really like to know the reasons why this tuto is not avaible for anyone.
    this one is : http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php - but i am not sure this is official "how to" (?)

If someone could give more informations.
    thanks

I'd like to add my thanks too, because I did'nt know there were so much packages to install, and especially which ones of course.

However I could'nt download fluendo mpegmux/demux packages, they are lacking in packman repository.

Now I can read some dvds, it seems to be only home-made ones with no menus.
    When I try to read a commercial DVD (i.e. NCIS season 2), with kaffeine or dragon on command line I get the error : "error cracking css key... "
    WIth a personal DVD backup with menu, nor kaffeine nor dragon player will play when called directly from menu when inserting DVD - with command line, I get the following messages :
    Code:
    libdvdread:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
    libdvdread:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
    libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.BUP
    I would like to mention that both disks play correctly on Ubuntu 14.04. So well, I'm a bit disappointed since I was hoping a better experience with openSUSE (I switched recently my laptop from Ubuntu to openSUSE).

Best regards.

Let me precise that I play DVDs with VLC on Ubuntu 14.04. I've been struggling and crawling the web to make DVDs play on openSUSE for about 3 days. I tried to play DVDs in VLC on openSUSE at a moment, it was'nt working good, then I noticed that using VLC on OpenSUSE was discouraged and after a new install I did'nt activate videoLAN repository.

Default AW: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Leap 42.2

VLC is in Packman Repo so no need for the Videolan Repo.
    Maybe you get then Trouble because of different naming/versioning Scheme in the Repos.....

Its also mentinoed in the Guide above.
    Next to last line.

@Sauerland : thanks for your answer ! Having installed most packages mentioned in the guide above, actually I already had VLC without knowing it ! But it worked the same way as other apps (kaffeine, dragon ...).

A consistency problem among my packages is possible since YaST2 crashes from time to time, but the main point was that my Asus laptop's dvd drive had no region code preset, which I learned by reading dmesg output. It's far from being my first dvd drive but I never met such an issue, and obviously had'nt tried to read any DVD on Ubuntu. I downloaded and installed regionset from http://linvdr.org/projects/regionset/ and now everything works fine. Kaffeine is even a little better than VLC at opening first DVD menu.

By the way I have learned that a message output from an application won't always give you the last word about your problem since it could come from system/hardware layer.

Let's go on with openSUSE/KDE !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast