Thread: missing dependency when installing gcc33 on opensuse 13.2

Default missing dependency when installing gcc33 on opensuse 13.2

Hello,

I am getting a conflict warning when trying to install gcc33. I did a search on the warning message and it didn't return any results at all, which is pretty odd in itself.

I am trying to get an important application working on opensuse 13.2, but I need gcc33. I have gone to,

https://software.opensuse.org/package/gcc33

under unstable packages and did the one click install from the devel:gcc repository.

During the install, I get the following message,

Code:
    gcc33-3.3.3-33.1.x86_64 requires cpp33 = 3.3.3-33.1, but this requirement cannot be provided
    The option is to downgrade from cpp33-3.3.3-41.1.3.x86_64 to cpp33-3.3.3-33.1.x86_64.

Code:
    [ ] Following actions will be done:
    downgrade of cpp33-3.3.3-41.1.3.x86_64 to cpp33-3.3.3-33.1.x86_64
    install cpp33-3.3.3-33.1.x86_64 (with vendor change)
    I am not sure what this means. What exactly is being downgraded? This sounds like cpp33-3.3.3-41.1.3.x86_64 exists somewhere and needs to be uninstalled and replaced with an earlier version, but that doesn't make any sense because I don't have gcc33 installed anywhere. I assume that I am just not understanding the message correctly, so I would appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me.

This is pretty old code, so I don't really think it will make any difference exactly which build of gcc33 is being installed.

Am I ok to allow the requested downgrade or am I going to break something else? In reality, I probably just need the runtime components for gcc-3.3/g++-3.3/g77-3.3, so maybe just the libs would be sufficient.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

LMHmedchem

Blog Entries

Default Re: missing dependency when installing gcc33 on opensuse 13.2

Accept the option to downgrade.
    The cpp versions are minor so likely won't have any side effects on your system.
    Also, the install recommendation doesn't mean that you already have a newer cpp on your system (although maybe that's so), it only means for this particular install that the earlier version is required.
    If you accept the recommendation to downgrade, then yast/zypper will re-calculate and if the downgrade affects anything else on your system, a new selection of options will appear.

The requirement to download might be for any reason, even an arbitrary whim on the person who wrote the requirement (or not).

IMO,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Default Re: missing dependency when installing gcc33 on opensuse 13.2

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Accept the option to downgrade.
    The cpp versions are minor so likely won't have any side effects on your system.
    Also, the install recommendation doesn't mean that you already have a newer cpp on your system (although maybe that's so), it only means for this particular install that the earlier version is required.
    If you accept the recommendation to downgrade, then yast/zypper will re-calculate and if the downgrade affects anything else on your system, a new selection of options will appear.

The requirement to download might be for any reason, even an arbitrary whim on the person who wrote the requirement (or not).

IMO,
    TSU
    Thanks, I have been able to install and will see if I can get things working now.

For anyone else doing this, it is probably easier to add the following repository,

Code:
    devel:gcc
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/gcc/openSUSE_13.2/
    After adding the repo, go into software management and search on gcc33. The one click install for software.opensuse installs each component separately and I needed gcc33, gcc33-c++ and gcc33-fortran. If you add the repo and do a search, you can install all three and the runtime libraries at the same time. It doesn't seem like the debug info components are there any more (on devel:gcc) so if you need those components, you will need to find them elsewhere.

Thanks for the help.

LMHmedchem