Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox and multimedia

Default Firefox and multimedia

I know packman isn't out for 42.2 yet but I did find their testing Essentials repo and pulled gstreamer and ffmpeg from it
    I got kaffeine 1.2.2 and vlc working fine from the packman repo but I can't get Firefox to decode any multimedia other then webm I have working versions of gstreamer and ffmpeg
    in about:config I couldn't find the gstreamer preference and while doing a little goggling I found this
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1207429
    it seams mozilla dropped gstreamer support but why isn't Firefox using ffmpeg for mp4 files?
    on 42.1 I could get Firefox to use eather gstreamer or ffmpeg on 42.2 nether work?
    Does Firefox with ffmpeg work on current TW?

Default Re: Firefox and multimedia

while gstreamer seams to be gone for good ffmpeg (from packman) does in fact work
    it was google forcing webm on me, disabling webm in about:config forces youtube to use mpeg4
    it seams that the chromium session bug is present in firefox as logons are not remembered between app restarts can anyone confirm logons are remembered between firefox restarts?

Blog Entries

Hi
    For youtube switch to html5? Just tested H.264/mp4 (openh264?), WebM and Ogg/Theora at quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html works fine...

Killed firefox when logged into the forum, restarted and it restored with me logged in?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

tanks for the info
    it could be something in my profile an addon or setting as after I close Firefox I have to relogin
    it might be a sync issue

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Killed firefox when logged into the forum, restarted and it restored with me logged in?
    Killed as in "it crashed", or Killed as in "issued a kill signal", or closed Firefox?

In the first two instances, the full state is preserved and relaunching Firefox (usually) will take you back to where you were, including retaining the logins.

If you close Firefox properly (Alt-F4, or Ctrl-Q, or File=>Quit, or -- for newbies -- "the x at the top right corner"), it will flush your logins unless you explicitly set it otherwise in the preferences or about:config -- which I do not recommend.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Killed as in "it crashed", or Killed as in "issued a kill signal", or closed Firefox?

In the first two instances, the full state is preserved and relaunching Firefox (usually) will take you back to where you were, including retaining the logins.

If you close Firefox properly (Alt-F4, or Ctrl-Q, or File=>Quit, or -- for newbies -- "the x at the top right corner"), it will flush your logins unless you explicitly set it otherwise in the preferences or about:config -- which I do not recommend.
    Yes this has been bugging me as I use session cookies with exceptions for certain sites, I have no issue under windows or 42.1 this seams like a new feature
    do you happen to know the preference that should be changed?
    also the only way to get youtube to use h264 is to disable webm (that wasn't needed in 42.1)
    there are a few reasons to prefer h264 like hardware decoding, smaller file size, better quality etc. I'm not sure if Firefox is build with a different buildconfig or this is a consequence of dropping gstreamer but sites that have multiple streams seam to prefer vp8(9) over h264?

Blog Entries

Hi
    The about:about firefox feature will let you see everything eg about:buildconfig
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    Yes this has been bugging me as I use session cookies with exceptions for certain sites, I have no issue under windows or 42.1 this seams like a new feature
    do you happen to know the preference that should be changed?
    also the only way to get youtube to use h264 is to disable webm (that wasn't needed in 42.1)
    there are a few reasons to prefer h264 like hardware decoding, smaller file size, better quality etc. I'm not sure if Firefox is build with a different buildconfig or this is a consequence of dropping gstreamer but sites that have multiple streams seam to prefer vp8(9) over h264?
    ... not quite clear on what you are asking. Which preference, to do what? If you mean, clear information when closing Firefox, it is in preferences under the Privacy tab, Clear history when Firefox closes, the settings tab to the right. Check mark everything except Site Preferences.

... and, the Security tab, Remember logins for sites and the exceptions tab to the right.

Personally, I keep Remember logins and Use a master password unchecked. I tend to trust myself a lot more than other entities, so my logins and passwords are kept in my grey matter atop my shoulders (with a backup copy on pen and paper in a hidden spot I can access when necessary).

I especially have been keeping an eye on Firefox lately, since it is getting all tangled up with Google.

Note that on FDroid, Firefox for Android is being deprecated as no longer fitting the Free and Open Software principles. It now contains ads, has Non-Free Addons, Tracks You, and the upstream source code is Non-Free.

DEPRECATION NOTICE

Note that this package will soon be dropped from the F-Droid repo. Please consider using one of the following options for continued update support:

Manually download latest version from Mozilla
    Firefox Aurora/Developer Edition - bleeding edge Firefox with automatic updates

We urged Mozilla to enable auto-updates for release builds in 2015 -- see bugzilla -- but the issue seems stalled. So even when you download Firefox manually, make sure you revisited the download link from time to time.

Estimate EOL date: 2017
    and

Note that frequently app tracking is implemented using proprietary software, e.g. Google Analytics or Flurry. Apps containing these proprietary libraries will not be found in the F-Droid repo.
    And Firefox Android permissions of note:
    YOUR ACCOUNTS
    ⚠ Act as an account authenticator [AUTHENTICATE_ACCOUNTS]
    Allows an application to use the account authenticator capabilities of the AccountManager, including creating accounts and getting and setting their passwords.

⚠ Manage the accounts list [MANAGE_ACCOUNTS]
    Allows an application to perform operations like adding, and removing accounts and deleting their password.

⚠ Use the authentication credentials of an account [USE_CREDENTIALS]
    Allows an application to request authentication tokens.

EXTRA/CUSTOM
    ⚠ Take pictures and videos [CAMERA]
    Allows application to take pictures and videos with the camera. This allows the application at any time to collect images the camera is seeing.

EXTRA/CUSTOM
    ⚠ Display system-level alerts [SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW]
    Allows an application to show system alert windows. Malicious applications can take over the entire screen.

YOUR LOCATION
    ⚠ Fine (GPS) location [ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION]
    Access fine location sources such as the Global Positioning System on the tablet, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine where you are, and may consume additional battery power.

EXTRA/CUSTOM
    ⚠ Record audio [RECORD_AUDIO]
    Allows application to access the audio record path.

NETWORK COMMUNICATION
    ⚠ Change Wi-Fi state [CHANGE_WIFI_STATE]
    Allows an application to connect to and disconnect from Wi-Fi access points, and to make changes to configured Wi-Fi networks.

⚠ Full Internet access [INTERNET]
    Allows an application to create network sockets.

⚠ Control Near Field Communication [NFC]
    Allows an application to communicate with Near Field Communication (NFC) tags, cards, and readers.

STORAGE
    ⚠ Modify/delete USB storage contents [WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE]
    Allows an application to write to the USB storage.
    Also, check this out:
    https://www.browserleaks.com/canvas

and this:
    http://blog.add0n.com/2016/03/23/htm...o-prevent.html

... Just the tip of the iceberg, mind you ...
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

I have the option to remember logins, I actually sync my logins between my Linux Windows and Android
    I know it's not the best security practice but I don't keep any real info on those sites

I think this was a 49.x mozilla bug
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1264192
    that seams to have been fixed in 50
    from the comments this bug seams to only effect Linux users, well I'll wait a few days until we get the update

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    I have the option to remember logins, I actually sync my logins between my Linux Windows and Android
    I know it's not the best security practice but I don't keep any real info on those sites

I think this was a 49.x mozilla bug
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1264192
    that seams to have been fixed in 50
    from the comments this bug seams to only effect Linux users, well I'll wait a few days until we get the update
    BTW: I am using the ESR version of Firefox, currently 45.5.0 ESR, just udated yesterday.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast