Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Installing Multiple Desktops from DVD / USB

  1. #1

    Smile Installing Multiple Desktops from DVD / USB

    Hello,
    I am currently running OpenSUSE Leap with the default KDE Desktop Environment.
    I am planning to install GNOME or may be some other D/E, as well.
    Is there any way that we can use the DVD or USB Image of OpenSUSE, to install GNOME too, and let the Login Window ask, which Desktop Environment, I want to login to ?
    I don't want to download the entire GNOME package from Internet again, because the packages also exist in the ISO Image of OpenSUSE (which can be written to DVD or USB if required).
    Secondly, will the addition of GNOME, have any effect on the performance or UI of the system ? (Other then additional Disk space usage because Disk Space Usage is not much of an issue for me)

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,732

    Default Re: Installing Multiple Desktops from DVD / USB

    One normaly installs additional desktop environments using YaST > Software > Software Management. Then use the View tab and choose Patterns. You will find two Gnome items in that list. Check them and at right the to be installed packages are listed. Click Accept. You better install them from the repos and not from the DVD. In the second case, you still have to update from the repos because of all the (security) updates that were published in the meantime.

    And yes, there should be a menu in the login screen where you can choose which DE you want to use today.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,587
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Installing Multiple Desktops from DVD / USB

    I understand that you internet data is limited, otherwise accept that these days an internet connection is almost a must have. You can do what Henk describes during the install procedure. An overiew is presented, with a "Software Selection" available. Click the title, and the software manager starts. Check the GNOME patterns ( and any other software you want to install from the DVD ) and continue performing the install. The login window will have an option to select the prefered desktop environment.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    10,823
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Installing Multiple Desktops from DVD / USB

    Quote Originally Posted by areebqaisar View Post
    Secondly, will the addition of GNOME, have any effect on the performance or UI of the system ? (Other then additional Disk space usage because Disk Space Usage is not much of an issue for me)

    Thanks
    Trying to answer your second question, it probably depends on what you mean by "performance" - differences from a system with only one Desktop installed? Problems? Latencies and other things that might not work as well as if only one Desktop is installed? Something else?

    Personally,
    When I've experimented on KDE/Gnome/LXDE/XFCE combinations I haven't seen anything that would be noticeable to the User.

    Digging beneath the surface though, I have seen a few things that although may be noticeable but also easily overlooked with the above combinations sometimes have major effects, particularly running the Enlightenment Desktop... which clearly reveals that only one Display Manager is used throughout all your shared Desktops instead of the default for each one.

    Beyond the above <mostly> cosmetic issue, I don't think you'll likely run into any <functionally different> issues, but that's only within my experience which of course means should be a qualified YMMV.

    HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,183
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Installing Multiple Desktops from DVD / USB

    Quote Originally Posted by areebqaisar View Post
    I don't want to download the entire GNOME package from Internet again, because the packages also exist in the ISO Image of OpenSUSE (which can be written to DVD or USB if required).
    I originally installed 42.1 from a USB (with the DVD installer iso).

    To add Gnome, I would insert the USB stick. I would make sure that the repo for the USB stick is enabled. Then I would use Yast to install. It will use the USB repo for packages that are available there.

    I would guess that most of Gnome has been updated since the original release, so most of Gnome will be downloaded from the online repos rather than using the installer USB. So the benefits of using the USB repo might not be all that great.

    If you don't have the installer USB (or DVD) configured as a repo, you can do that with Yast Software Repositories.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Installing Multiple Desktops from DVD / USB

    if you have the install disk it's possible
    it depends on your repo priorities, you should give higher priority to the local repo (the DVD), you can post your repo list
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    not everything is on the DVD, don't forget to update, downloads from the update repo are small as opensuse uses delta rpm's for updates

    if you selected auto-logon during install you will need to log off to access the other desktops, this can be changed in yast-> user managment

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,183
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Installing Multiple Desktops from DVD / USB

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    if you have the install disk it's possible
    it depends on your repo priorities, you should give higher priority to the local repo (the DVD)
    I'm not sure that's correct.

    I leave the install USB enabled as a repo, though I turn off "auto-refresh" so it only asks for the USB if it really needs it.

    My experience is that it always prefers the local repo to the remote repo for the same package. That's leaving them at the same priority.

    If I were to give the local repo (the install USB) a better priority, then I'm pretty sure that zypper and Yast would prefer the older version on the local repo to the updated version on the official repo. And I'm inclined to think that's not a good idea.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Installing Multiple Desktops from DVD / USB

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm not sure that's correct.

    I leave the install USB enabled as a repo, though I turn off "auto-refresh" so it only asks for the USB if it really needs it.

    My experience is that it always prefers the local repo to the remote repo for the same package. That's leaving them at the same priority.

    If I were to give the local repo (the install USB) a better priority, then I'm pretty sure that zypper and Yast would prefer the older version on the local repo to the updated version on the official repo. And I'm inclined to think that's not a good idea.
    The last 2-3 versions I did a network install and/or a live upgrade, the way I understand zypper (yast) is that it gets newer packages first and if two or more repo's have the same version of a package it gets it from the repo with the higher priority.
    The update repo is a bit of a mystery to me as I have seen zypper download delta rpm's but if browsing it with a browser I only see full rpm's (I can't download a delta rpm so I'm not sure if they're real) when trying to save on bandwidth one should install from a local repo first then do an update I'm not sure if zypper would pull the full package from the update repo if it's not installed, the OP should consider temporarily disabling all but the local repos if he wants to save bandwidth.
    Again I don't have a local repo so I might be wrong

  9. #9

    Default Re: Installing Multiple Desktops from DVD / USB

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    One normaly installs additional desktop environments using YaST > Software > Software Management. Then use the View tab and choose Patterns. You will find two Gnome items in that list. Check them and at right the to be installed packages are listed. Click Accept. You better install them from the repos and not from the DVD. In the second case, you still have to update from the repos because of all the (security) updates that were published in the meantime.

    And yes, there should be a menu in the login screen where you can choose which DE you want to use today.
    Installed.
    I used the USB as repo and installed the patterns.
    After installation, I restarted the Notebook, and I was given the option to login to GNOME.
    However, when I select GNOME, enter my password and click on Login Button, the Cursor icon, turns to a "CROSS" and it stays there as it is. i.e. it does not login to GNOME.


    Just to check, I restarted the notebook again, logged in to KDE, and installed XFCE and LXDE too.
    With XFCE and LXDE, it successfully, logged in to both these Desktop Environments.
    However, in case of GNOME, it failed. What can be the possible reasons ?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Installing Multiple Desktops from DVD / USB

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    I understand that you internet data is limited, otherwise accept that these days an internet connection is almost a must have. You can do what Henk describes during the install procedure. An overiew is presented, with a "Software Selection" available. Click the title, and the software manager starts. Check the GNOME patterns ( and any other software you want to install from the DVD ) and continue performing the install. The login window will have an option to select the prefered desktop environment.
    Yes, I have limited Internet Data, and I am low on Data this month.
    But that would not have been a problem. I thought that the size of packages will be huge (may be in GBs), because the ISO Size of OpenSUSE is 4.7 GB.
    But when I actually checked, the size of packages were only in MBs, so that was not a problem.
    I will update the packages.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •