Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Docfetcher for Opensuse?

  1. #1

    Default Docfetcher for Opensuse?

    Is the application DocFetcher available (somewhere) in our distro? Will it work in my Leap 42.2 under Gnome?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,583
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Docfetcher for Opensuse?

    Quote Originally Posted by hnimmo View Post
    Is the application DocFetcher available (somewhere) in our distro? Will it work in my Leap 42.2 under Gnome?
    No results on software.opensuse.org, so no package ( currently ) available.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3

    Default Re: Docfetcher for Opensuse?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    No results on software.opensuse.org, so no package ( currently ) available.
    Thank you for quick reply.

    There is a download available on sourceforge. It requires JRE 1.7 or higher and GTK 2 0r 3. What is the risk of trying to install it on my Leap 42?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,302
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Docfetcher for Opensuse?

    On Thu 03 Nov 2016 03:06:01 PM CDT, hnimmo wrote:

    Is the application DocFetcher available (somewhere) in our distro? Will
    it work in my Leap 42.2 under Gnome?


    Hi
    Since it needs java, download the linux version from there homepage and
    extract and look at the readme on how to run.

    What's wrong with the tracker app in Gnome?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.34-33-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  5. #5

    Default Re: Docfetcher for Opensuse?

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post

    What's wrong with the tracker app in Gnome?
    I thought the tracker app only supports the file search, but does it also support so-called full-text searches through a defined collection of, say, pdf files? How would that work? (can't find anything about it under 'help')

    Cheers
    Harvey

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,302
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Docfetcher for Opensuse?

    Quote Originally Posted by hnimmo View Post
    I thought the tracker app only supports the file search, but does it also support so-called full-text searches through a defined collection of, say, pdf files? How would that work? (can't find anything about it under 'help')

    Cheers
    Harvey
    Hi
    Here are the build options;
    http://paste.opensuse.org/ba56dae7

    Info here;
    https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Tracker
    https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Trac...pportedFormats

    Run the following to see enabled option;
    Code:
    gsettings list-recursively | grep -i org.freedesktop.Tracker | sort | uniq
    I think your going to have to run a few command line searches to see if it's going to work for you.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Docfetcher for Opensuse?

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Here are the build options;
    http://paste.opensuse.org/ba56dae7

    Info here;
    https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Tracker
    https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Trac...pportedFormats

    Run the following to see enabled option;
    Code:
    gsettings list-recursively | grep -i org.freedesktop.Tracker | sort | uniq
    I think your going to have to run a few command line searches to see if it's going to work for you.
    You've lost me. As far as I know, the distro default settings are still in place. And I notice that the home directory is not set for recursive indexing.

    If I have understood it correctly, there are two separate apps related to each other: so-called 'Search and indexing' and 'Desktop Search'. In the first I can set the folders I want to be indexed, in the second I can search in files within those folders. So if I want to limit my search to a collection of pdf files in one folder, I have to ensure that only that folder is indexed and toggled 'on', or what? Can it be that indexing of a single folder with, say, a thousand files, may take a long time (i.e. not just a few seconds or perhaps minutes? How do I know when the indexing is done?

    Cheers
    Harvey

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,302
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Docfetcher for Opensuse?

    On Thu 03 Nov 2016 05:36:01 PM CDT, hnimmo wrote:

    malcolmlewis;2798562 Wrote:
    > Hi
    > Here are the build options;
    > http://paste.opensuse.org/ba56dae7
    >
    > Info here;
    > https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Tracker
    > https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Trac...pportedFormats
    >
    > Run the following to see enabled option;
    > >

    Code:
    --------------------
    > >

    > gsettings list-recursively | grep -i org.freedesktop.Tracker | sort

    | uniq >
    --------------------
    > >

    >
    > I think your going to have to run a few command line searches to see
    > if it's going to work for you.


    You've lost me. As far as I know, the distro default settings are still
    in place. And I notice that the home directory is not set for recursive
    indexing.

    If I have understood it correctly, there are two separate apps related
    to each other: so-called 'Search and indexing' and 'Desktop Search'. In
    the first I can set the folders I want to be indexed, in the second I
    can search in files within those folders. So if I want to limit my
    search to a collection of pdf files in one folder, I have to ensure that
    only that folder is indexed and toggled 'on', or what? Can it be that
    indexing of a single folder with, say, a thousand files, may take a long
    time (i.e. not just a few seconds or perhaps minutes? How do I know when
    the indexing is done?

    Cheers
    Harvey


    Hi
    I don't use tracker (have it all disabled), would need to investigate
    some more.

    You can configure it to ignore directories, this can all be configured
    via Settings -> Search and Indexing (which seems simlar to your other
    app)?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.34-33-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  9. #9

    Default Re: Docfetcher for Opensuse?

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    What's wrong with the tracker app in Gnome?
    Well, It doesn't seem to work very well...or what I am I doing wrong?

    I added a folder containing a collection of files by using the search an indexing tool. I applied all the changes, including setting the flag to index file content.
    In order to search through the file collection, I would hope to have an index available done within a few minutes after adding a folder, certainly not hours or days.

    What I see now is that most search terms return no results. I have found one term that is found...that term is in some of the file names, but also in the content (even if not in the file name).

    In short, in answer to the above question: it doesn't seem to work very well, and is apparently not a reliable tool for the desired purpose, i.e. to search for terms in the content of a defined collection of files, such as pdf.

    I use Nautilus, so I think I need the tracker to help find files in the file system, so I suppose I cannot disable the 'search and indexing' tool?

    Cheers
    Harvey

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,583
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Docfetcher for Opensuse?

    Quote Originally Posted by hnimmo View Post
    Well, It doesn't seem to work very well...or what I am I doing wrong?

    I added a folder containing a collection of files by using the search an indexing tool. I applied all the changes, including setting the flag to index file content.
    In order to search through the file collection, I would hope to have an index available done within a few minutes after adding a folder, certainly not hours or days.

    What I see now is that most search terms return no results. I have found one term that is found...that term is in some of the file names, but also in the content (even if not in the file name).

    In short, in answer to the above question: it doesn't seem to work very well, and is apparently not a reliable tool for the desired purpose, i.e. to search for terms in the content of a defined collection of files, such as pdf.

    I use Nautilus, so I think I need the tracker to help find files in the file system, so I suppose I cannot disable the 'search and indexing' tool?

    Cheers
    Harvey
    Depending on the number of files/directories to index, indexers like tracker and baloo can take a while before they're done building an initial database.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •