zypper dup and Mesa-dri-nouveau

I’m running zypper dup on tumbleweed and it’s trying to add the package “Mesa-dri-nouveau”.

There’s a warning which tells me how bad this package is…

WARNING: Nouveau DRI/3D driver selected.
This driver is considered experimental and is known to have issues with
applications that use certain 3D acceleration features of modern
NVIDIA hardware.
Symptoms include application crashes or lockups & crashes of your system's
graphical environment. Older Hardware and less demanding applications may work
just fine and do benefit from the Hardware acceleration features this driver
offers over software emulation.
Use of this driver is especially not recommended for use with the KDE Desktop
Environment or Qt-based Applications.
The hardware vendor potentially offers alternative drivers.
Please click "I Agree" if you accept the risks that may come with the
installation of this driver. Choose "I Disagree"  to prevent installation
of the driver and use software emulation instead.

… Well I don’t even use nvidia graphics, so do I care? Will this package make all these horrible things happen to me on my AMD card anyway? So I pick no…

Do you agree with the terms of the license? [yes/no] (no): n
Aborting installation due to user disagreement with Mesa-dri-nouveau package license.

And then the entire update aborts…

Should this package really be getting added automatically?

Well, it was part of Mesa itself previously, so it actually was installed before in any case (and couldn’t be removed).
It has been split out because nouveau’s OpenGL driver causes severe problems at the moment, especially with KDE/Qt5.

The main reason why zypper even wanted to install it on your system is that you likely have the nouveau graphics driver installed too (xf86-video-nouveau).

There will be some improvements to this (to only install nouveau on nvidia systems) in the (near) future, but at the moment the most important thing was to get something in in time for the 42.2 release.

I can’t permanently remove xf86-video-nouveau though. zypper dup tries to add it back the next time it runs.

I guess I should just install this stuff so I can run zypper dup succesfully, and it won’t affect anything since I am using amdgpu driver?

Yes, that’s what still has to be improved.
Currently it gets installed unconditionally, even if no NVidia card is present.

You could lock it though (either xf86-video-nouveau, or just Mesa-dri-nouveau).

I guess I should just install this stuff so I can run zypper dup succesfully, and it won’t affect anything since I am using amdgpu driver?

Correct.
It’s only used on NVidia cards (when the proprietary driver is not installed).

Wow… I was all excited upon finding this thread as I was researching my mysterious (unsure WTF causes it for over year now) system lag?; keyboard input lag maybe? Where even when I first boot my laptop and login to desktop, I type the first character of my password and cursor freezes for minimum 3, so as long as 7 seconds before I can complete it and log-in. This behavior plagues my entire system on Plasma, or LXDE, or ?? desktop environments. Implies it’s system wide and/or hardware input specific perhaps? Virtually every input takes said minimum 3 seconds lag… to worst case 45 or more seconds with heavy work loads and multiple apps running during attempts at productivity.

Upon finding this thread I was kicking my own ass thinking all this time I’d not read the…

NVIDIA hardware.

Symptoms include application crashes or lockups & crashes of your system’s

Please click “I Agree” if you accept the risks that may come with the
installation of this driver. Choose “I Disagree” to prevent installation
of the driver and use software emulation instead.

…and had been running a problematic video driver that was foo-barring my system?! So… this short thread clarified my ignorance is still in tact! ;]] Warning can be ignored since my Vaio isn’t actually using this driver anyway? (I’ve been requesting troubleshooting on several other social networks, G+, etc… to no avail for said 1+ years of this issue now… right up through openSUSE 13.2 I’d never had this issue; showed up with Tumbleweed is implied if memory serves.) ANY CLUES or pointers to comprehensive sys/hardware input lag resolution threads or resources I’ve not found mucho appreciated heroes. THANKS AGAIN!

Back to trying to dig deep and find any clues WTF is lagging my dated, yet still capable Vaio so bad?!

MAINLY… THANKS for at least eliminating one more desperate consideration from my due deligent efforts at resolve hero! ;]]]

Hello. It’s 2021 and we still have this situation:

NVIDIA hardware.

Symptoms include application crashes or lockups & crashes of your system’s

So, I’m on KDE and QT and have Nvidia proprietary drivers. But it looks like as it was 5 years ago, there is some weird soft persists. What should I do? Can I uninstall Mesa or Nouveau or both safely (even if I switch to AMD GPU later)?

If you’re using the proprietary driver just ignore it, or uninstall “Mesa-dri-nouveau”

If I could… I can uninstall Mesa-dri-nouveau but Mesa itself wants to uninstall extra 25 packages including Xorg-s and Wayland session.
So, I uninstalled all mesa-32-s but Steam wants to install it again.

You only need uninstall “Mesa-dri-nouveau” not all of the mesa packages.